[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /fit/ do martial arts? What kinds? Can you guys describe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

File: martial-arts-21.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
martial-arts-21.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
Does /fit/ do martial arts? What kinds? Can you guys describe your experiences why you got into it and why you continue to go? Looking to get into one. I did karate as a kid for like 4 years and I loved it. I ended up moving and I tried this one dojo near my new house but it wasn't the same and it felt gimmicky like the owner just wanted my money
>>
>>35044424
savate m-master race reporting in
I'm going to start kick/thai too soon
used to do karate too but my club was a dead martial art shit
>>
>>35044424
Going to start krav maga soon since it seems to dispense with autistic weeaboo shit unlike when I did shorinji kempo. Just want to hurt and incapacitate people who want to fuck with me or people I care about as quickly, efficiently and brutally as possible to be honest family.
>>
File: Weidman vs Machida.jpg (38KB, 599x398px) Image search: [Google]
Weidman vs Machida.jpg
38KB, 599x398px
>5 years Judo, 2nd Degree black belt (dont do it any more)
>7 years Wrestling
>2 years no Gi BJJ
>2 years kick/boxing
Got into it because it looked cool and i got bullied as a kid.
I spent most of my time as a kid and teenager training because it was fun. Now I train because I have amateur mma fights and i want to make it a career. 2-0 so far.
I'd say join a mma gym.
>>
File: j.jpg (93KB, 712x649px) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
93KB, 712x649px
>>35044493
>>
>>35044496
I tried the mma gym near my home and the only one of my town btw
it was basically bjj with occasionnaly training kicks
not op btw
>>
>>35044535
Do they have separate classes? Like boxing and etc
>>
>>35044565
no, they do everything together
and even if I'd like to learn how fight on the ground and I like mma , I'd rather train standing for the most part
that's why I still train savate and I'll ad kick soon
>>
>>35044496
OP here, which was your favorite? I wanna do something where I'm on my feet most of the time not on the floor
>>
Doing judo soon, i did it for a while before i moved to a different part of the country.
It was free there, here its "$80 to $140 a month depending on down payment". Im guessing its going to be total garbage as well family.
>>
File: Martial Arts Decision Tree.jpg (318KB, 1632x1375px) Image search: [Google]
Martial Arts Decision Tree.jpg
318KB, 1632x1375px
>>
Stop being such a bunch of faggots.
>>
File: gIjCUP9.jpg (315KB, 1632x1424px) Image search: [Google]
gIjCUP9.jpg
315KB, 1632x1424px
>>35047030
>>
>>35044493
Just so you know Krav is taught almost exclusively for self-defense, and so you'll have to think and train a bit on your own in order to learn how to actually incapacitate people. They'll mostly teach you how to get out of choke holds, evade, land safely etc. There will be some striking though
>>
muay thai 3-6 times a week, lifting weights 2 times a week.
overall fitness is on a whole other level compared to just lifting.
>>
>>35044493
Do boxing or muay thai you retarded goy. Krab magoo is /k/ LARP
>>
Wasted 14 years on tkd. 2 years mma. A little judo.

Currently living in japan and debating between kyokushin, boxing or muay thai. I really want to do judo but I don't want to be the retarded gaijin shitting up their training
>>
>>35044424
3 years mma, bjj, muay thai, and sw
Sw and muay thai is by far my favourites
>>
>>35044424
>needing martial arts when you can just knock the other guy out with one punch

I thought u guys lifted?
>>
>>35047634
Submission wrestling?
>>
>>35047030
>MMA pic
>Emelyanenko
Emelyanenko actually did sambo.
>>
Did 4 years of kickboxing before i started lifting, now i do karate
>>
>>35047655
> needing martial arts when you can break your hand with a single punch
>>
>>35047156
This.
>>
>>35047670
Which is literally a mix of martial arts.
>>
>>35047686
Like pretty much every other martial art (except boxing).
>>
Do you really need grappling experience to do mma? The only non-bullshit gym in my area is a mma gym
>>
>>35044496
Post picture of black belt?
>>
>>35047703
It was formulated under stalin from memory. They brought together high level athletes from a range of sports, including gymnastics and basketball, and martial arts. They then observed their techniques and applied them to combat. If that doesn't qualify as a mixed martial art I'm not sure what does.
>>
>>35047709
It'd help but no. The best mma gym where I lived taught each style modularly and had a mma class in which it all came together.
>>
>>35047753
this one has general/advanced striking classes, a mma class and a submission class on the weekend
>>
File: mqdefault (1).jpg (10KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault (1).jpg
10KB, 320x180px
>>35044493
>mfw people actually do krab mango unironically
>>
Just started bjj last night pretty excited to get into it
>>
>>35047763
Sounds like you're fine then. Just tell them you cannot into grappling so would you be good in the mma class or should you just do grappling to get a base first.
>>
>>35044493

>falling for the krabby magoo meme
>>
>>35047798
Good stuff anon. Bjjs fun but I ended up sticking with judo purely because it's cheaper and I got on better with the dudes there
>>
>>35047740
This can be said about the majority of martial arts. Kudo, kickboxing, savate, taekwondo, judo - every single one is the mixture of some others.
>>
>>35047880
Sure. The difference is the basis of them wasn't a government program specifically to mix the best aspects from a range of sports and apply it to combat.

I'm not debating that every style is mixed. I was pointing out to the original anon that saying sambo isnt mma is fucking retarded when the premise of sambo is mixing the techniques sports and martial arts
>>
File: harai sode tsurikomi goshi.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
harai sode tsurikomi goshi.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>35044493

Enjoy standing around, punching air, while talking about ridiculous street fight scenarios with fat, camo-wearing Walter Mitty types.

Train something that allows you to, y'know, actually fight people on a regular basis. Non-sparring styles are pure LARP faggotry.

This is coming who had to learn that Krav shit for the military. It's garbage.

>>35044424 (OP)

Judo. Take fuckers and throw them at the ground all day everyday. Love it.
>>
File: belt.jpg (640KB, 2014x1224px) Image search: [Google]
belt.jpg
640KB, 2014x1224px
>>35044424
i'm working at getting my first dan in Taekwondo in 6 months, i'd love to do Hapkido when i move to the big city as well
>>
started boxing after i got knocked out in front of my gf, most embarrassing experience in my life
>>
>>35044424
>>35044493
Bjj>Judo=Wrestling > Power gap > muay Thai > Boxing > power gap > every other meme martial art

If you disagree you are delusional
>>
>>35044424
Boxing. I've done hard style Okinawan karate, Systema, MCMAP, and boxing. Boxing was a better workout and more practical than anything else I learned.
>>
Krav Maga here, but I wish I was doing Muay Thai so I could compete and win shot.
>>
>>35051461
Well the other things you listed are bullshit so that's no surprise
>>
>>35050008
4th dan tkdfag here. Bail and start muay thai. Don't repeat my mistakes
>>
Fuck anyone that starts the conversation by comparing different martial arts. As a newbie, just go ahead and give something a go as long as it fits your schedule and wallet. If you don't like it after a couple of weeks (whether it's because of the training, the trainer or the culture, etc), find something else. If you find yourself inundatef with choice, you can think about what you want to achieve out of training in martial arts. Do you want to stop the niggers in your neighbourhood from stealin' yo shit? Do something self defence related, such as Krav Maga or Wing Chun (in before WC shitstorm, I don't like it either but it has its purpose). General fitness and exercise? Kickboxing is a great, fun workout.. or it can be a brutal as shit sport if you choose to go competitive. Best to just have a dig around your area but keep an open mind. You'll know more about what's good for you once you've actually trained a bit.
>>
>>35051516
As a newbie no one gives a fuck what you think.
>>
>>35051516

Forgot to mention, I recommend Muay Thai simply cause I found it fun as hell and made me monstrously fit compared to what I am now (feelsbadman that I dont train anymore). 5 years MT exp.
>>
>>35051516
> krab magoo
> chink chong
The only place they have is gouging rubes
>>
I did wing-chun for a while.
The breathing exercises helped with my sleep apnea, and it taught me some reflexes that were useful in self-defense. My mentor taught me a hybrid of sorts so that I can counter as fast as possible, without being bogged down on traditions.
Also my knuckles became sharp as fuck from punching wooden dummies all the time.
>>
>>35051567
> chink chong
my sides.
truth though, love, a boxer.
>>
>>35051597
And then you met kakashi-sensei and beat up Sasuke for the love of your OTP?

Fucking delusional chink dancing queensb
>>
>>35051609
>that projection
Never said I used it bruh.
>entry level anime
>trying to sound condescending
>>
>>35051504
I'm a second dan, but out of it for a while thinking about going back. Why shouldn't I re-start tkd?
>>
>>35047030
whats up with the bash of Taekwondo?

That's the only one in the "do you want to learn how to fight" category, where you actually fight? ( Im assuming you do sparring in taekwondo).

I was looking into taekwondo, because that's the closest to me.
>>
>>35051700
nah its actually in the 'no I don't want to learn how to fight' category if you read it again
>>
>>35051700
TKD is to martial arts what fencing is to armed combat.

One faction (ITF) actually penalises you for hitting too hard and DQs you if you KO your opponent. The other faction (WTF) has literally zero punch defence and encourages slap kicks.

Tl;dr there's nothing inherently wrong with the kicking techniques (aside from 540 bullshit) but the focus will actively make you a worse fighter
>>
I train in BJJ and Catch Wrestling. Used to do some MT too, but haven't lately. I really like it though, but I prefer less rigid kickboxing style. I guess I sort of look at MT the way I look at BJJ.
>>
>>35051737
I dunno man. I'd rather that than worrying is some hyper aggro autist is going to do something dangerous and when someone gets badly hurt we all have to he nice and polite to them because they didn't mean it or w/e.

I've known a few people get arms and shit broken at their Mcdojo TKD and not having those ITF and WTF rules would just make this shit happen more>>35051376
>Bjj>Judo=Wrestling > Power gap > muay Thai > Boxing
So grappling>> striking?

If you are a Big Guy (tm) facing a little guy then yeah for sure.
>>
>>35044493
who are those people? what kind of shit hole do you live in that you need to worry about that kind of thing?
>>
>>35044493
>Just want to hurt and incapacitate people who want to fuck with me or people I care about
I get incapacitating people who want to fuck with you, but I don't get why you also want to hurt people you care about
>>
>>35052094
This is literally the highest level of TKD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsEniLha5M

>>35052094
>If you are a Big Guy (tm) facing a little guy then yeah for sure.
Not really. I used train under a 3 time master's world champion in judo. He's in his late 60s. He'd take down 110kg BBs and tap them in under 30 seconds.
>>
>>35052161
i will never, EVER get tired of this joke.
>>
>>35052187
They do teach you how to do actual contact fighting at any halfway decent TKD place. What you posted there is the olympic games, which is specifically the sport fighting aspect.
Why do people think that's all TKD ever teaches?
>>
>5 years ju-jitsu
>3 years wrestling
>6 years mauy thai
>6 years boxing
>5 years wing chun
I liked it Alot as a kid and meet some good people I still do martial arts its a good way to become more at ease.
>>
>>35053842
Also if you take the effective moves out of each and mix them you become a very proficient fight
>>
>>35053772
because although they train fists, they train mainly for their sport and they'll never be as good as someone training everything for real
I train savate which is mainly kicks and I know the rules that are making you ridiculous kicks and forbidding some good moves makes you having bad reflexes
>>
Pipe bomb> gun> just run away> taser/mace> knife> martial arts
Do martial arts because you like them, not because you want to seriously learn self-defense.
>>
>>35053893
>Not training bomb katas
>>
>>35053842
You did wing chun after muay thai?
/asp/ is really retarded about it, and I'd appreciate an honest and informed opinion.
>>
Doing Judo right now. Great workout, lots of fun, usually end up with blood on my gi after a good hard day. Only yellow belt but because of my previous athletic training I am progressing quickly. If you're not sparring everyday you aren't learning shit desu.
>>
Been boxing for 4 months now
It might not be the martial art to save your life, but it's fun, stress-relieving and great cardio
>>
>>35052187
whats wrong with that TKD? Looks fine, looks like a proper fight, just no fists.
>>
>cheap as fuck wing chun at my college
>realise it's shit, there's no sparring.

so here I am, I never practiced any martial art. Now I'm looking up what to do, preferably to use as self defense (learning how to actually fight)

>karate
>they just slap eachother and "reset" the fight

>TKD
>meme kicks to the head 24/7

>Judo
>throwing people to the ground
>in a street fight, you go the ground, get stabbed in the neck by his friends

>BJJ
>same as judo

>boxing
>enjoy brain damage, muh boxing gloves
>you never hit anyone in the face with an unprotected hand

>kickboxing and muay thai
>meme gloves

so is mma the only useful thing?
>>
>>35052187
>I used train under a 3 time master's world champion in judo. He's in his late 60s. He'd take down 110kg BBs and tap them in under 30 seconds.
A friend of mine was at national level and he said something similar, but the longer reach and weight is definite advantage for bjj and wrestling. He also said he'd only just got to that level in judo where he could see and exploit mistakes like that in judo so it always seemed to me a technique thing.

I like some of what I see. TKD isn't a great system imo tho, I don't think having more touchy feely sparring would add anything and is way more dangerous. As an addition to something else tho why not?
>>
>>35054884
> is training in multiple martial arts superior to just one?
Yeah but it's slower. Focus on one and expand out.

> is learning to fight in an octagon with random other rules the best way to learn self defense
No, it's incredibly shit. Better than krav maga tho
>>
File: 1448127328915.png (205KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
1448127328915.png
205KB, 505x431px
>>35054884
>BJJ
>same as judo

You lost it, your comment is now 0 credit
>>
>>35054731
>looks like a proper fight
It looks like Tekken or Street Fighter. They even have a static animation.
>>
>>35055141
no, by same, I mean you are on the ground.

Thus stabbed in the neck
>>
>>35055208
Ground game in most judo is p limited. You begin standing generally too
>>
>>35052094
It's been proved before m8, everybody recomend do wrestling if you want to get into mma and that's the reason the only champions in the UFC are Americans (wrestling) or Brazilian (Bjj)
>>
>>35055208
It also depends of the Bjj school, Gracie usually focus more in self defense and try to improve the standing game as much as the floor game, I trained Gracie and I'm currently training at alliance this guy's are more technical/competition oriented and are always talking about how much points you do for doing something, most schools have free test classes, try something until you find something you like
>>
>>35044424
I did kenpo karate when i was 12 for 2 years, then when i was 15 i did MMA for 6 years but I mainly liked boxing. MMA was definitely the most realistic and practical martial art(s), plus the training and conditioning was insane compared to being a kid learning kata. Karate was good for intro disciprine, but MMA all the way. Like 90% of people drop out and never show up again though because it is so hard
>>
>>35055346
>Americans (wrestling) or Brazilian (Bjj)
Surely then it should be Russians (wrestling) and Russians (judo)

UFC is a very limited pool of fighters and has such a restrictive contract it's just ridiculous
>>
>>35055476
I'll give you that but still grappling beats striking.
>>
MMA is 9O% muay thai/BJJ. Stop talking like its a separate martial art. MMA=Mixed Martial Arts. Source: I do "MMA".
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.