[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason at all to use a punching bag if I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: Boxing-Bag.jpg (94KB, 384x500px) Image search: [Google]
Boxing-Bag.jpg
94KB, 384x500px
Is there any reason at all to use a punching bag if I'm *not* fight training? Would it help build up explosive power or would I be just as well off punching at thin air?
>>
>>34983601
Get one if you enjoy striking, genius.

There's shock & resistance so it's more difficult/taxing working a bag than punching thin air.
>>
>>34983674
Whether or not I enjoy it is irrelevant. The question is 'Are there any considerable gains to be had?'
>>
>>34983841
It's a great way to do HIIT if you get bored of sprinting. Your shoulders will get stronger.
>>
There are precisely no gains to be made, as cardio kills gains.

Besides, with no actual training you're more likely to fuck up your wrist or hand.
>>
File: 14547686035673569.jpg (12KB, 250x207px) Image search: [Google]
14547686035673569.jpg
12KB, 250x207px
>>34983841
>'Are there any considerable gains to be had?'

well youll get some prison gains if you ever punch someone out irl since they will label your fists as dangerous and "you should have known better because youre trained"
>>
>>34983601
How do people get angry enough to actually want to box someone? Recreationally I mean.
>>
>>34983936
You're just a pussy
>>
>>34983936
It's part of the first semantic circuit, the fight or flight response. Some people fight and some people run. I'm not at all saying that people who are quick to fight don't have anger problems though, because they usually do. There's a difference between a calm spar and angrily wanting to beat someone's face in just because they insulted you. The latter is primitive by the way. I'd say childish but most adults still act like children.
>>
It's good to get something to hit but without a coach you can develop bad habits. I remember the first time I sparred it was definitely a wake up call.

I could move all I wanted around the bag but had cement feet when i was sparring.
>>
>>34983921
way to be a unfit piece of shit, Your gains wont save you against someone trying to kick your ass, pretty boy.
>>
Anyone saying there are no gains should hit a bag for an hour amd tell me how their shoulders and lats feel the next day
>>
I have a punching bag but it moves too much when I hit it. I'm guessing I need a heavier one?
>>
>>34984182
tie it to the ground maybe?
I have a big fuck off 6 foot rock of a bag, and its glorious(ty mum). Feels like punching a tree, but it will break before i do.
>>
what muscles would punching build up?
>>
>>34983841
Yes, tough guy. When lifting you decelerate at the top of the movement, while hitting a heavy bag you continue to accelerate until met by opposite force. Broscience, but the training is different and leads to gains. Working a heavy bag made my chest tighter and throwing hooks gave some more weight to my biceps. Overall, I look stronger than before. It's also develops coordination and speed, and is a useful skill. But if aesthetics is you thing, then yes, try it and see what happens.
>>
>>34983921
0/10 dickhead
>>
>>34984182
Don't push the bag, strike it.

There's usually a ring on the bottom of the bag that you can use to secure the bag via rope to the floor.
>>
>>34984239
I'll take serratus anterior for 500 alex
>>
>>34984182
This guy >>34984771 is right. You're pushing the bag by punching through it too far. Mike Tyson can make a full sized heavy bag jump, you don't hit like Tyson.
>>
Any tips on learning a proper technique besides joining a boxing club?
>>
>>34983931
>being untrained hitting some shitty walmart punching bag in the backyard
>classified as a class 5 weapon by the DEA, FBI and the NCC.

yeah ok br0
>>
>>34985015
lmao enjoy learning shitty technique because the only way to learn proper boxing technique is to learn from someone who knows how, via IRL application. no point trying to learn via youtube or books or some stupid shit. You need someone with you at all times to point out any imperfections in your technique so you're able to punch properly without breaking your wrist.
>>
>>34985015
Get boxing bag gloves, don't ever use boxing gloves for bags, it will ruin them and lessen the work out.

Now, a proper example of technique would be to in one motion, thrust your hib at the same direction and time as you jab.

You essentially want to use your entire body for the jab, but make sure not to always fully extend it or it could cause injuries to the elbow if you're not careful with your punching power.

A good way would be to start jabbing, and after 2-3 jabs go for a right punch. I train Muay Thai and I practice a lot on using the jab as a tool to annoy my apponent, find holes and then move in with a right hand.

A punchig bag is also good for cardio,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvM7sJo-6w

Look at this.
>>
>>34985047
how can i convince my friend not to buy a punching bag and hit it with bare hands? he is dead set on it and i have heard that no gloves + bad technique = serious wrist and elbow problems.
>>
>>34985047
>>34985067
Thanks. The only boxing gyms in my area arent that great. I just want to increase my punching power and technique as well as do some cardio that way. Nothing can replace a good Trainer thats for sure.
The video was a good start, thanks.
I already have one of those ball like technique bags but I feel a heavy BAG would be better.

>>34985126
Let him do it. I hit my afore mentioned ball only one session with bare hands. Never again.
>>
>>34985126
Take him to a gym and ask him to hit a bag for 5-10 times with his bare knuckles. It will ruin your hand.

There is a reason why we use gloves. It is not to protect our opponent, or well partially it is, but the main focus is our hands. It is extremly easy to fuck up a bone, muscle, nerve or anything else in your hand and that does not heal easily. Gloves protects this and it also allows you to use more force.

You could also accidentally twist or bend the wrist causing even more injuries. As for elbows, its also a factor. A glove stops some of the force that comes back in to your body after a punch, having no gloves increases it. And much of that force gets centered on the elbow etc.

It's generally moronic to not use bag boxing glove when doing punching bags.
>>
>>34985165
Increasing punching power is not only made from punching pags. On bags you can practice the techniques that forms a good punch. But what you need is weights and lifting to form better and stronger muscles in your arms. After that you will notice differences in your punching power.

Bad technique = bad punching power and potentially dangerous.
>>
>>34985165
Try looking up martial arts gyms, some teach punching in a correct manner. MMA Gyms and others are gaining popularity resently, so you could try to look for stuff like:

Kickboxing, Muay Thai, MMA and Shootfighting
I practiced kickboxing for 6 years and then moved to Muay Thai which I've been doing for 3 years now.
>>
>>34985184
I'm already lifting, but some of my friends that dont take lifting that serious seem to have more power when it comes to punching. Stupid example, but do you know these one buck a punch machines that measure the power? They score just a tad higher.

>>34985193
Already did, but haven't found the right one. I would love to learn muay thai in addition to lifting. Will keep my eyes open.
How is incorporating lifting and contact sports working out for you?
>>
>>34983601
It's a great way to fuck up your wrists if you don't know how to punch
Protip: you don't
>>
Punching power, once you master the technique, is completely genetic.

Honestly I do boxing workouts now because I enjoy it. I find lifting weights up and down to be extremely boring. I used to box, but now I just follow a boxing routine to keep in shape. I've been pushing myself a lot the past couple months and i've never felt better in my life.
>>
>>34983936
It's a sport just like any other dude
>>
>>34985166
Not him but its not really that bad. The only thing that could go wrong is fucking up your skin.
>>
>>34983936
Simple. They don't. Do you have to be angry to tackle someone while playing rugby?
>>
>>34985461
Enlighten us
>>
>>34985516
And wrists
And hands
>>
>>34985519
Yeah, kind of desu
>>
>>34985067
Are a jab and punch not the same thing? Is a jab just a fake punch?
>>
>>34983601
Don't worry about it.
No need to train it other than fight training.
>>
>>34985166

>It's generally moronic to not use bag boxing glove when doing punching bags.

No, just no. After 5 months of muay thai I was able to deliver clean strikes to the bag without pain flaring up in my hands because I actually polished my technique enough and reinforced joints in my wrists enough. Punching the bag without gloves will force you to have your technique on point, precisely not to injure yourself.
>>
>>34985572
A jab is a jab.
A punch is any striking technique utilising a closed fist.
>>
>>34985572
Jab is specifically the lead hand straight.
>>
>>34983931
Yea thats bullshit, if you dont start the fight you should be good. When someone attacks you, you can very easily say you thought they were trying to kill you since people have been beaten to death in bar fights before unless you live in europoor were you can go to jail for defending yourself in your own house from a violent intruder.
>>
>>34985572
What are you, twelve? Jesus Christ
>>
>no don't buy a punching bag
>youll break your wrist if you hit it
>you need gloves or youll die
I've been boxing since I was thirteen, 12 years now.
We all started with a bag at home. Every single person at training used a bag in the gym usually with no gloves, it strengthens the forearm bones and knuckles faggots, use gloves when you need to.
>ITT pussies
>>
>>34985576
heem yourself fatty, terrible advice
>>
Mad gains from a boxing bag, I got one in my room for whenever I wanna workout and hit something. It's probably worth training MMA/Kick-Boxing/Boxing though, that + lifting is so good, no cardio @ gym required.
>>
>>34983601
It can help shred up your abs nicely
>>
>>34983601
We have one in the gym. I like to use it for warming up
>>
>>34984239
Mostly shoulders if you keep your hands up.

>>34984809
Found that serratus mostly gets built through pushups
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.