[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering dropping out of university to pursue firefighting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: dads.jpg (140KB, 615x556px) Image search: [Google]
dads.jpg
140KB, 615x556px
I'm considering dropping out of university to pursue firefighting. I'm in my second year of biochemistry specialization and I've already done a year of computer science. I'm turning 21 in half a year and I feel like i'm just wasting my time. Has anyone had experience with firefighting as a career? Seems like an incredibly /fit/ career as well as prestigious and fun.
>>
Paid Firefighter positions are hard to get. Don't quit until you find employment.
>>
>Did a year of cs
>on year 2 of biochem
>Wants to change paths again
I think you just don't like sticking with stuff.
>>
>>34972394
I thought I enjoyed these, I clearly don't. Sorry I don't want to waste the early years of my life studying for hours a day and being constantly stressed out because of midterms and finals.
>>
>>34972374
This desu

>dank benefits
>great job security
>bitches fucking love you

Everyone wants one of those jobs. Do you even have experience in a volunteer company?
>>
>>34972394
Probably you want to change because you can't handle anything remotely difficult.
>>
>>34972420
What did you quote me for?
>>
>>34972420
>cs
>remotely difficult
Yeah that's probably why I have maintained a 3.8 or above the entire time. Struggling hard /s
>>
>>34972410
>dont want to be constantly stressed out
>only 21

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, i remember that feeling.
>>
fire man is a shit job

if you want an easy well paid uniform job join the police
>>
>>34972366
If you don't need college to pursue a career, then yes you are wasting your time.
>>
>>34972410
so you think having to spend hours in a room waiting to be put in a situation where if you fuck up people will die will be less stressful?

what'll happen is you'll quit your degree, then decide firefighting isn't for you and do something else, then find you don't like that and do something else. repeat until you're in your 30's and you feel just as much like you've wasted your life, only in this situation you have nothing to show for it because you didn't stick with any one thing vs. before where you might have gone into a job that doesn't involve biochemistry at all, but you were still employable because you showed you could commit and study for a respected degree
>>
>>34972487
>How hard?

Already asking the wrong questions. Doesn't even do his own research into things he is interested in.
>>
>>34972501
Because his job is both dangerous and boring
>>
>>34972525
>I already know
>Asks questions

lol, thanks for the laugh. Seems like you are on top of things.
>>
>>34972366

Mechanical engineer friend of mine is now a firefighter/paramedic. He loves it. He wanted to an hero every single day when he was doing engineering.
>>
>>34972562
>Looks into career
>Still asking about the competition

bahahahahahah. And of all places you come to 4chan? LOL
>>
>>34972592
>Taking bait so easily with a trip

lol, jokes on you.
>>
>>34972366
follow your heart
>>34972592
tired of seeing your tag change your name or something so I might actually read one of your posts
>>
>>34972647
>I don't know what you're so worked up about

just havin a giggle m8
>>
>>34972675
>There's no bait

lel, thanks for replying though. hahaha
>>
>>34972704
are you actually cute, or are you like when fat chicks call themselves beautiful?
>>
>>34972760
nigga you can't just rate yourself
that's not how that shit works
have you ever posted in a CBT?
>>
File: 1447732919732.gif (4MB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
1447732919732.gif
4MB, 400x253px
>>34972750
>got him still responding to nothing

lol, got nothing to do tonite huh?
>>
>>34972760
right, but a masculine, handsome 8.5/10 or a total qt?

because christian bale's very attractive, but he's definitely not cute

also if cute post butthole
>>
>>34972487
if you're in a small town and can weasel your way into a volunteer you'll have a good chance in the city, if you're in a city you'll need a few years forest fire experience just to have a chance

if you're a white guy it becomes twice as bad
>>
File: 1446576209176.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1446576209176.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>34972750
>>
>>34972808
>being this new to try and bait tomato

bitch if you saw his butthole your eyes would melt like the sand niggers in raiders of the lost arc
>>
>>34972480
kek
you're literally a pleb. Your degree is just as useless as you are after college. What are you going to do, invent jobs? People like you are why others go to college, because they're too stupid to find a real job.

A job is plan A
A degree is plan B
you filthy bourgeois scum, even worst if you're poor.
>>
File: mindexplosion.gif (491KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
mindexplosion.gif
491KB, 200x200px
>>34972366
Listen bub imma lay a truth bomb on you...

DO NOT under any circumstances become a firefighter unless you know someone who can get you in as a career. It is an oversaturated field. About half of the people under me in my (chemical/chemistry/electronics) job are all firefighters that never made it past volunteer. No joke i have 2 captains under me.

DO continue a field in chemistry of computer science. or engineering.... if you want a comfortable af life. Trust me, i studied marine biology and im in charge of people twice my age and i am right out of college. if i could go back i would def go for chemistry. I make about 50k a year, the people above me with chemsitry or cheimcal engineering degrees are making 80k-120k a year.

DO NOT BECOME A FIREFIGHTER
>>
File: fit.jpg (78KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
fit.jpg
78KB, 640x422px
>>34972410
dude spending 4 years "stressed" in college over finals doesnt mean shit.... also your grades dont mean shit unless you plan on going to grad school. literaly every interview i went it was just a brief mention of what degree i have
>>
File: 1426459463610.png (565KB, 732x799px) Image search: [Google]
1426459463610.png
565KB, 732x799px
>>34973865
Where you working brah? I just gotta finish my capstone then i'm a marine biologist major, fisheries management minor.

any tips?
>>
>>34972366
Here's my advise:

Don't be stupid because you feel impulsive.

Computer Science is lucrative.
Biochem is lucrative.
You're obviously smarter than most, so think this one through before you weigh in.

I had a very smart/fit friend in college who became a firefighter. He's a nurse now. Why not be the fittest Dev or Pharmacist/whatever out there
>>
>>34972366
I know a few firefighters, pay sucks so they all have 2nd jobs.

So unless your girl already has a career she might as well start working to make ends meet.

And know this, while your playing sleep over grab ass with a bunch of bros she's gonna be banging her boss in your house.
>>
Being a firefighter is a great job, you work 2 24 hour shifts and sleep all day then have 5 days off. They all have second jobs because they make a ton of money, that way. Also if your not gonna be a fireman in a big city it's a waste and your a hair bag.
>>
>>34973903
dude i studied fisheries management worked in 3 labs.... i changed fields though i work in semi conductors (nanotechnology)

tips: dont stop working, no matter what... find something even if it means living with your parents
>>
>>34972366
Join the local volunteer firefighters. Lets you learn bretty much everything about the job and you get a foot inside with the "real" guys. Lots of them are also volunteers.
Live in Finland an at least here we have to do all the tests and get to do all the courses that they do.
>>
>>34972366
You should finish your degree and start competing in a sport, and then apply as a firefighter
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.