[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a fitness Android app. I want to make it fully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5

File: Android_robot.svg.png (9KB, 220x258px) Image search: [Google]
Android_robot.svg.png
9KB, 220x258px
I'm making a fitness Android app. I want to make it fully customizable and maybe add Exp/Levels to make it more fun.
Do you guys have any suggestions? Does anyone care about progress graphs?
The App is going to be free.
>>
Sounds awesome!
Dont forget about Material design
>>
Do you have experience making apps or is this going to be a horrible piece of shit?
>>
>>32216770
C-can you make an apple one too?
>>
>>32216862
thanks

>>32216900
yes, me and my team have made some apps before, and now I'm looking around for suggestions what someone would like to have in the app that we wouldn't have thought of otherwise
>>
>>32216915
We don't plan on doing so since the iOS app store is not free and we are not looking to make money. If someone else wants to port it after we are done.
>>
>Does anyone care about progress graphs?
They're pretty important for motivation imo
>>
>>32216770
I'd like some kind of diet builder or something like similar, for example you insert your height, weight etc and it calculates a diet for bulking or cutting or gives you some guidelines to build one yourself
>>
I wish there was a SS-version similar to the SL app OP.
>>
Make sure you have Wear support.
>>
>>32216770
All I need is an app where I can add exercices, sets, reps and weight for every workout. Graphing the progress on exercices would also be nice.
>>
>>32217014
funny enough captcha made me choose sandwiches to reply to this.
The thing is this will not be generated or anything, you'll be able to choose from already added foods but since the big part of this app is customizable, you will be able to add your own diets, height, weight, bmi and whatever but I don't think we will add any optimization for what you should eat, only suggestions and tips gathered from bodybuilding.com
>>
Have it include a guide for testing your bodyfat with calipers. Pictures that show you how and shit and allow you to track it weekly
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-05-03-12-56-38.png (763KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-05-03-12-56-38.png
763KB, 768x1280px
>>32217054
Seems good, looking forward to try it once it's released
Sandwiches for me too
>>
>>32217025
if by SL you mean StrongLifts 5x5 then I can tell you that I use that program and app and it was my inspiration for making my own and I want to make it free without ads since I want to give back to the fitness community while gaining some college credits. I think the StrongLift app is restrictive at some points while it is easy to use and very intuitive also I find it absurd to pay that much to unlock some shit that literally takes a few hours to program.

What does SS stand for?
>>
i would love an app similar to the SL app but just with free choice in exercises and the SL good points: Built in timer , keeps track of your weights and automatically adds weights for the next workout , tells you when to reload ...
>>
>>32217105
SS=Starting strength
>>
>>32217105
Starting Strength. Maybe you could add a feature that reminds you to take a progress picture monthly, and it can have a photo reel that shows your progress from start to current?
>>
>>32217036
this is the original idea, you will also be able to add a timer for how many seconds you want to rest, exp in case you want to get in all that leveling part make it a bit fun if you want to (optional)

>>32217067
I want to add a tutorial section with different workouts/body types/diets/exercises which will serve as a general suggestion menu where the user could test out some exercises after his workout is complete. (for example try doing a pull up at the end if you are planning to gain strenght)
>>
>>32217119
forgot about automatically adding weights for next workout, wrote it down
not sure what you mean by reloading?

>>32217126
thank you, I'm familiar with the program but not the phone app, will download it and study it to see what it can do
>>
>>32216770
Are you planning to show a source code? on github or something.
>>
if you use your smartphone while lifting you wont make it
>>
>>32217170
I could contribute something if i can
>>
>>32217169
Sorry was typo , meant deload
>>
>>32217170
>>32217173
yes, for now it is private. This app is for a college course, I will make it public after the exam which is in about 4 weeks.
>>
>>32217188
we are not professionals when it comes to fitness so I don't know what would be best for this, however we will keep it in mind. If not, some other /fit/zen could add this if he or she knows better
>>
>>32217240
i meant like in the SL app when u fail for the 3th time on the same weight it automatically deload by 10%
>>
>>32216770

to be able to choose from diff programs (SS,SL,TX,Madcow,531...) where i add the starting numbers and it will calculate how much do i need to lift every day,rep, sets.

to be able to add exercises to existing probrams (pull ups to SL for example)

a rest timer

and i really like the reps/sets counter in the SL app, so something like that would be fine.
>>
>>32216770
Could include a progress picture chart?
>>
Tfw Windows Phone
>>
>>32217258

This
>>
>>32217169
forgot about automatically adding weights for next workout
This will have to be implemented properly. What if I failed a set? Then it shouldn't increase the weight. How much weight will it automaticly add? You don't progress as fast on OHP as on Squats and deadlifts
>>
>>32217257
I actually didnt know it does that, will do!

>>32217258
yes, I'm planning to add those workouts with descriptions and everything you would need (so you dont need internet access since people can get distracted or not everyone has internet on their phone, myself included).
you will be able to modify them as you please

>>32217283
i think we could add a gallery of your own pictures if we have the time, if not, someone can make it after I make it public
>>
>>32217385
Pls OP keep us updated with the progress of the app
> Tfw i don't want to quit SL even just because of usefulness of the app
>>
>>32217367
maybe it will alert you and ask if you want to change the weight yourself and suggest 10% less, again, the user should know best what they want to do since we are not fitness trainers, we are developers lol
>>
It needs a mechanism to record the difference between rest pause, supersets, drop sets etc. And a decent bank of compound exercises
1RM calculator would be nice
Wilks score would be great.
Options for accommodating resistance
Maybe an option to record rpe
The ability to add notes on an exercise or workout, for example that you want to experiment with a narrower stance or that you used constant tension/occlusion techniques
The ability to record exercises which aren't in the database (I haven't yet found an app which has half of my exercises in its recorded thing)
It'd be nice if it kept track of volume and PRS for you
A non compulsory option to record rest times (it's a pain when you have to enter or and you have no idea)
A good bank of mobility exercises
The option to record sports training sessions
An optional drink reminder
Optional Programme recommendations based on your goals (more than just recommending SS for everyone)
Optional reminders to do your mobility/corrective work
A stop watch/timer built in for isometrics. It'd be good if you could get something which counted seconds for you if you're doing paused work, although that'd be impractical with intra set rests
Some kind of spreadsheet/graph showing progress on all the stuff you can record, like weight, body fat, body measurements, weight used on exercises/ something which takes a predicted 1rm from your best set on each exercise from reach workout, and will plot those against time. If you can only compare sets done for the same number of reps then you tend to get very few data points as your reps vary session to session
>>
Something that could be useful would be the ability to create your own program along with having "presets" i.e. having something like "number of weeks", "number of phases", "reps per phase" etc. for things like accumulation, hypertrophy, power, strength. Currently just do it on excel and take a photo on my phone
>>
>>32217413
If you're doing linear progression, you should up the weight every workout, if you fail a certain weight, you should try the same weight the next workout, if you fail it again, you should deload 10%
The easiest though will be to let the user enter the weights.
>>
>>32217409
haha I know what you mean, I'm still a few months away from "graduating" from 5x5 SL and I want to have this app ready by then.
I'm expecting you will be able to get the app on your phone late May to early June
>>
>>32217224
ty op
>>
>>32217447
Do you already have a name for the app? So I will be able to find it in the play store
>>
>>32217447
pls spam a thread daily when you have made the app so i cant miss it
>>
>>32217290
Aren't they gonna try and get android apps with windoze 10??
>>
>>32216770
insert some standard routines like 5x5 with date-sensitive updates on your routines
>go to gym
>app shows you what weight you did last time and what your should do this time
>>
>>32217414
>The ability to add notes on an exercise or workout, for example that you want to experiment with a narrower stance or that you used constant tension/occlusion techniques
The ability to record exercises which aren't in the database (I haven't yet found an app which has half of my exercises in its recorded thing)

this has already been planned

>A non compulsory option to record rest times (it's a pain when you have to enter or and you have no idea)
I'm just gonna copy SL and do 90 seconds if the set was easy, 3 minutes if it was hard. Again, its customizable so you can just add the time yourself

I'll need explanations for these:
>supersets, drop sets etc
>1RM calculator
>accommodating resistance
>what is RPE, volume and PRS?
>A stop watch/timer built in for isometrics

what do you mean by
>record rest times
you mean like all rest time combined from the workout ( like if you had 1 minute after every set for 5 sets it should say 5 minutes ?)
>>
>>32217433
yes this is the general idea, make it customizable, free and be intuitive like the SL app so you don't have to use excel
>>
>>32217469
We didn't choose a name yet. Somehow I want the title to scream "you can customize everything". I must check the play store to not have duplicate names. I was thinking about something along the lines of DIY Fitness or Workout Maker, suggestions for the name and logo welcome
>>
>>32217290
One of my team member is a huge fan of windows phone, he might port it after we are done.
>>
>>32217224
Don't know if you already have designed it, but you could make a web app with say, Meteor.js. It can then be wrapped and easily ported (e.g. Cordova) to iOS/Android. Also a web interface is useful imo. Anyway, loving what you're doing, thank you.
>>
MyFitnessPal style calorie counter with preset macro plans for specific goals
Some sort of lifting tracker too, I'm using FitNotes but it's not the best.

Some sort of cartoon or sprite gym buddy character that reacts to your use of the app and goals. Don't log on for a week, he's disappointed, reach your goals and he or she will match you.

Give it your starting weight, bf% and goals, and when you reach the goals your buddy will get more buff or skinny or whatever your goal was.

Numbers and shit are motivating but seeing a cartoon version slowly reaching your goals would be a better visual indicator, specially for people that can't measure their own progress physically.
>>
>>32217534
>1RM calculator
1 rep maximum calculator.
It calculates how much you theoretically could lift for one rep.
It's the easiest way to compare/measure strength. For example one person lifts could maximum lift 5*100kg, and the other could lift 4*105kg, it's hard to compare them.
See strstd.com for the calculator
>>
File: Copy of New Mockup 1.png (76KB, 1110x658px) Image search: [Google]
Copy of New Mockup 1.png
76KB, 1110x658px
>>32217605
Thanks, glad people are so supportive!
We are actually thinking of making a web app, however my web app guy wants to make it in ASP.NET with C# and all that. If anyone knows a free host for the website would be great. However the point of the app is that you dont need internet for it to work (I don't have internet on my phone, would be too distracting at the gym)

pic related, simple mockup I made last night. For the design part I think we will just keep it simple make it look like SL
>>
GL OP
If its good ill pay for it

Have the /fit/ page in it though so we have something to do mid set
>>
>>32217669
thanks for the clarification
I will present everything I got from this thread to the team and make another thread with the features we agreed upon on the thread image
>>
There's already FitNotes which is perfect and receives updates.
>>
>>32217697
thanks man!
>>
>>32217681
In the first "Add workout" screen, I would also make a number-select-thingy for the amount of sets
I already like the idea opee
>>
>>32217534
RPE is rate of perceived effort. I.e, I am nearly dead but could have squatted a bit more weight is an RPE of 9, that set was way too easy for my top set would be an RPE of say 6. If you train via RPE you aim for say an 8 and you lift till you reach a set that you perceive to be a 8/10
>>
I was looking for an app that I could make a weight loss/ progress graph and add my various measurements as a side feature. So something like that might be worth thinking about
>>
>>32216770
Also OP, very important!
Make it an option to choose between metrics and imperial units!
>>
>>32217754
good call, I designed it in a rush to show the others what I meant

>>32217762
ill write it down and see what we can do

>>32217800
you will be able to do this here, just add your weight to every workout and you can see the graph overall be it weeks or months of your weight/amount you lifted
>>
>>32217881
>Make it an option to choose between metrics and imperial units!
literally thought about this just as I refreshed the page then saw your post, noted!
>>
>>32217681
This. 10/10 for focus on internet-independence. Bless you OP.
>>
Strengthcalc is pretty amazing. Build off that.
>>
File: rpe-flow-chart.png (35KB, 658x500px) Image search: [Google]
rpe-flow-chart.png
35KB, 658x500px
test
>>
>>32218158
saved, thanks

>>32218029
thanks for the suggestion

>>32218016
thanks man glad you're on board
>>
>>32217534
I've been trying to reply to you with an explanation for twenty minutes but it keeps deciding my post is spam, is there another way of contacting you?
>>
>>32216770
>Does anyone care about progress graphs?

I really need something like that. Something that can track progress in the main lifts. Maybe with a feature that can track weight in bulk and cut cycles.

And pls don't make it flashy and slow. MFP for example used to be great but now they've changed it so the macros page is fucking slow and inconvenient. A simple, functioning design is always better.

Meanwhile, is there anything like that that can track progress in lifts for Apple right now?
>>
What I would like in a fitness app.

I'd like to be able to input my own programme, but perhaps have some templates for beginners, intermediates, advanced.

I'd like to be able to create different A B C days that I could assign over the course of a week, two weeks or a month.

For each exercise itself all the information I need is the name, weight, the reps, and the rest time.

I only really need two buttons during an exercise. One is a start countdown timer that counts down the rest stop you have specified.

The other is for set failure, that once pressed asks for how many you completed and moves to the next set of reps.

The countdown should include an audible indicator at the end of the rest stop so you don't have to actually look at the screen. To that end using the volume up and down buttons to progress through an exercise would be good as well, so I could just wear on an armband or something.

It should track your progress each week, adding an amount of weight you specify each time you successfully complete your sets. If you keep failing it will ask if you want to deload.

You could have options to make exercises different types of sets; to failure etc.

Your data should be exportable to a spreadsheet programme.

Basically I would like an app, that I could enter a programme, it would tell me what to do, but I barely have to touch anything in the gym, and it progresses and deloads automatically.

And finally I would like the ability for it to send a text to a nominated person if I've missed a workout in order to shame me.
>>
>>32217014
Scooby already made one of those.
>>
>>32218188
hey its fine some other anons explained and I googled around, I'll make a thread again on tuesday perhaps with updated version

>>32218224
I feel you man, flat design/minimalism all the way. Have no idea about apple store, sorry.

>>32218235
noted, will do our best to implement everything, SL makes the phone vibrate at the end of the rest, probably gonna do the same.
>>
>>32216770
I track workouts with the Fitocracy app, sounds very similar to what you're making
>>
>>32218158
>>32218181
The problem with this is that I don't want to go through a whole list of questions after every set
>>
>>32218158
I'd suggest doing that logic in reverse order. You're more likely to hit the higher RPEs than the lower in with proper lift programming.
>>
I have a very important suggestion (or problem you should take care of I guess).

The problem with apps like Fitocracy is that is takes a long time to flip between old workouts and the current workout to see how many reps+sets and what weight you used to compare to the current workout.
>>
The ability to export data to CSV!
>>
quick reminder that if you aren't using android's 'progression' app you're never gonna make it
>>
Also add a plate calculator
enter the weight you want, enter the weight of the bar and select the available plates.
It returns which plates to put on each side.
I hate having to calculate the plates before every exercise
>>
>>32186672
Would really like to help but i barely know how to use the android SDK
>>
>>32219071
This is just an introduction to the concept, it's not worth thinking about RPEs unless they're one of your training variables (For example RTS is based off hitting a topset at RPE 9 followed by back off sets). You don't need to go through the whole process every time, you just think, i had 1 or 2 left in me so that was an 8.5
>>
What a coincidence OP because I'm making a fitness Android app. I want to make it fully customizable and maybe add Exp/Levels to make it more fun.
Do you guys have any suggestions? Does anyone care about progress graphs?
The App is going to be free.

We will see who gets there first :^)
>>
O P E N S O U R C E
P
E
N

S
O
U
R
C
E
>>
I feel like this is everyone's first idea for a fitness app
>>
Hey guys ;)

I just stole all the ideas from this thread and sent them to some indians who will code the app withing 1 (one) week.

I'll post the link on /fit/ when it's finished.
>>
>>32216770
Dude make a line graph sorta progress chart that has date on one axis and calculated 1RM on the other. kinda like fitocracy's performance chart.
>>
>>32219608
Warmupreps.com
>>
>>32222511
>one week coding
>made by indians
>implying it would actually work
>>
>>32216770
I'm not sure if this would be a good idea but maybe:
Let's say you had a session with squats, it would ask you if you wanted to take a picture of your legs. Then when you squat 500lbs you can go back and see what your legs looked like through all the different amounts of weight you lifted (ie: 1pl8, 2pl8, 3pl8, etc.). And only you can see these pics obviously.
Yay or nay?
>>
make it tell me if my form is gud
>>
>>3221>>32216946
Release your inner jew.Its worth it.
You know it too.
>>
I have a suggestion... make the app in C++. It's native to android, and arguably better than Java.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.