[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would Geralt dress today? How can I into a similar rugged/outdoorsy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Ornate_robe.png (638KB, 469x636px) Image search: [Google]
Ornate_robe.png
638KB, 469x636px
How would Geralt dress today?
How can I into a similar rugged/outdoorsy albeit modern aestheic?
>>
>>12759081
>>>/cgl/
>>
>>12759081
The thing about autists wanting to copy stuff is they try to emulate it in ways that really show their power level. You'll want to avoid looking like some cosplayer as much as possible, and you'll want to avoid looking too out of the standard from the time and place you live in. You do this by deriving the small defining features and factors of the aesthetic, and then working your way up again by recombobulating those few core aspects back into something that fits inside your own modern culture. No chainmail, and no straight replicas from china made to look like in-game attire.

Geralt has metal and leather armors, plate and chainmail, cloaks and scarves, many leather harnesses and belts, the occasional studs, practical clothing for riding and terrain (sturdy leather boots, pants for horse riding, serious gloves), and everything is made of materials that were widely available to the low class. Cotton, linen and natural western fibers like that, leather, suede, waxed cotton, metal, and only on special occasions he wore luxurious materials such as silk or velvet which could be patterned too. He always has a very masculine dress, it fits his broad frame, it's not overly tight, it has masculine proportions and details.

Today I imagine geralt would dress like david gandy but with slightly less effort and metrosexuality. Now real leather and suede is a bit more premium, so imagine what a rich old conservative guy would wear while at the country. Perhaps a waxed coat or maybe a quilted jacket over a textured knit, suede gloves and rm williams, pants in cotton or wool with a traditional pattern. Then for the evening a thin silk scarf coupled with the formalwear. Everything in autumny earth tone colours.

Or maybe to gay it up a slightly loose cotton or linen shirt buttoned up a bit, dirty from hard work, and a metal chain around his neck, leather pants and black leather boots that would make the nazis proud. Studded belt. Large backpack with leather straps.
>>
If I recall correctly, that robe is something geralt didn't choose nor even really like, so maybe not the best example.

>>12759466
Nice writeup. I agree with most of it, but...
>rich old conservative guy
>quilted jacket over a textured knit
That's not geralt. This kind of wear might have started out as something appropriate for him, but now it's associated with just those rich old fucks who think too much of themselves. Geralt is old and probably conservative, but he's not rich, he's modest and thoughtful. He gets actual use out of his stuff and he doesn't care what people think of it. Think less barbour, more filson; stuff made for actual use but from a bygone era. He would wear oilskin and wool, for a modern audience a rugged leather jacket would also fit the style.
For shirts, real geralt might be wearing plaid shirts, but these have since acquired a different association. So I'd go with rather plain rugged shirts, possibly from wool. For pants, basic old-fashioned jeans, well maintained.
Geralt also has a bit of sophistication about him, some little detail or accesoire that would catch the eye of the more thorough observer, something like an exquisite watch maybe.
>>
>>12759081
wolf armour is basically a biket outfit.
>>
>>12760245
>He gets actual use out of his stuff and he doesn't care what people think of it.
That's why I basically wrote about stuff you'd wear on a farm, the rich old guy simile was more to just get the idea into your heads as that's where you mostly see the type of materials etc I was thinking about. Quilted stuff I thought of because, well he's a horse rider eh. Geralts the type to work hard helping around on his papas farm, in high quality but worn stuff that he's been using for the last 15 years. Stuff like barbour wouldn't give off the pretentious rich guy vibe when it's been worn daily through dirt and sweat for years. He also has elite contacts and that's where the evening wear is needed, his life is among the lowest class but he's associated with the highest, so his wardrobe is a mix of both worlds.
>>
>>12760342
Having well-worn stuff is fine but it takes a while to get that look; being dirty is simply not acceptable for modern casual wear like OP intends. That's why I would be wary about those higher class outdoor things. (There may be a discrepancy in our respective attitudes towards it; as I said it's all about the associations it evokes.)
I also disagree about your notion about the evening wear. Geralt HATES formal wear and most of the people wearing it; he has someone else decide upon that always and never wears it longer than absolutely necessary. Basically I don't think it should have any bearing on the spirit of his normal outfit. What he does carry with him from that other part of his life is far more subtle.
>>
>>12760377
I've only played the game for eight hours so I don't quite know the details of his personality. Choice and preference aside he does find himself wearing it at least, so if you want to emulate Geralt the classier details should also be considered since it does have a part of his life and is a part of his "aesthetic"

Maybe a bit extreme example but the only thing I can think of right now lol: the auschwitz prisoners didn't choose to wear their striped pyjamas but it very much is central to their ""style""
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.