[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain modern youth "cool" culture please.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Can someone explain modern youth "cool" culture please. I can't quite put my finger on what annoys me about it, but it grinds my gears. What is "it", what's it called?

So far a few things I have noticed:

- Retro, early 90s references and cliches

- Looking sad/not smiling in photos

- Covering face in photos

- Conveying a "don't give a fuck what you think" attitude while ironically posting selfies and photos for likes (also naming photos with strange titles

- Mac Demarco, Drake and feminist punk bands

- Very much a middle class thing.

- Hairy armpits

- Retro X LARGE sports gear and unisex cloths

- Not so much a drug taking culture but certainly wants to imply its part of it.

I've noticed these things over the past few years until I realised I didn have a clue what it was and that it annoyed me so much. PS I'm 27 so too old to relate.

PIC semi-related.
>>
>>12352967
artificial smiling in photos is stupid desu
as is artificial moping of course
>>
I'm a poorfag from the inner cities, and this is what """""""modern youth "cool" culture""""""" is, senpai.

everyone
> mall brand clothing
> match shoes with shirt
black people
> jordans
> sagging (still a thing)
> ripped jeans
> gucci belt
> polo shirts
> nike socks + sandals
> gold grills
> beats headphones
mexican 1
> chicago bulls snapback
> hoodie + denim jacket
> skinny jeans
> hot topic belt
> vans or converse
> piercings
mexican 2
> oversized white or black tee
> nike cortez or chuck taylors
> baggy jeans or slim straight jeans
> cargo shorts or jean shorts are okay too
> long white socks
> black jansport backpack
> belt with a gothic S or N emblem
white people
> white trash lives in the inner city, so they wear their older brothers & sisters hand-down-clothes
asian
> same as white trash
>>
>>12352982
still sad sagging still a thing
>>
They try to make themselves think they're grown up, as well as trying to make themselves look the part, it's pretty homo
>>
>>12352967
Culture is just a meme

Monkey see, monkey do
>>
it's the same as every other period of 'cool' youth culture it's just that we now leave in a time of rapid exchange of information and commerce.

whereas before it would have took months, maybe even years to build an idea of 'cool', now kids can do it in days.
>>
>>12352967
Pretty spot on, but I dont think it has a clear name, ive heard it being called post-hipster or tumblr kids.
>>
>>12353308
Congratulations, you may be the first person on 4Chan to use that term correctly.
>>
it annoys you because you're old and it's not the same idea of "cool" that you grew up with, just like every single new youth culture has pissed off the previous generation for decades. not that complicated.

>>12352967
>- Not so much a drug taking culture but certainly wants to imply its part of it.
why do you say this?
>>
>>12352967
kids spend a lot of time on social media, so they invest heavily in it

everything we do to become .1% more fashionable or .1% better at a video game, they spend that time and energy getting .1% better at "social media"ing

there is a lot of nuance in shit like that, and these trends are just techniques to help them get 2 more likes per photograph and eventually "become famous"

everybody who does this shit and doesn't care about social media is just a copycat because they don't actually know anything about social media

but that's just a theory
>>
>>12352967
Supreme

It depends, for "normal" kids it's just whatever is the current stylish american apparel pieces

for "alt" kids it's looking sad, looking down, retro mac demarco copy catting
>>
>>12353357
They're always like "omg guys I totes smoke the weeds lmao" or they're always talking about drinking lean
>>
>>12353430
19 year old here, can confirm literally everyone does actually smoke weed, and a good number of them also pop pills and do stims and stuff regularly. the lean is probably jokes/bullshit though unless you in, like, atlanta
>>
>>12353444
nyce trips
i'm a ""cool youth culture"" type of person and I grind up addys to snort them regularly and I buy etizolam on the internet to get fucked up on weekends, however I don't like weed because it gives me rather extreme dissociation and makes people dumb
>>
>>12353513
same, weed isn't for me either. I prefer ketamine or acid on the weekends
>>
>>12352967
im 20 and i dont know teebee|–|... a lot of them are devoid of personality and think liking ironic memes gives them depth of character or smug internet insider status.

It's weird seeing people who grew up in the 00s reminiscing about 90s pop culture, its not just an anachronism it's patent pretentiousness... it's all about status with these morons.
>>
File: IMG_6603.jpg (73KB, 700x526px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6603.jpg
73KB, 700x526px
>>12353526
acid is terrifying, took one tab and thought the CIA was watching me through webcams
I wish I could get ketamine in burgerland
>>
>>12353544
>it's all about status with these morons.
Nobody under 25 actually has a grasp on their identity, it's usually just monkey see, monkey do. Just thinking others are cool because they saw others say they're cool, and so forth.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.