[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I will walk 500 miles and I will walk 500 more to be that guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3217.jpg (180KB, 800x673px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3217.jpg
180KB, 800x673px
I will walk 500 miles and I will walk 500 more to be that guy in Wolverine 1000 mile boots
>>
>>12297326
That created a pointless thread
>>
Wolverines won't even make 500 miles with their quality lately

Should have copped Red Wings senpai
>>
>>12297342

Im on year three of my 1000 miles.
They got most wear this year.

They'll go another year before the sole needs to be replaced but otherwise holding up.

Some scuffs and mild cuts in the leather. All good though
>>
>>12297342

I've beaten the shit out of my 1ks and they're still holding up.

I think it's just luck depending where you buy from.
>>
>>12297342
>Red Wings
nu-male
>>
Reminder you've got 7 days left to cop these for $120 off (they're usually $450) on Massdrop
>>
>>12299050
>no speed hooks

DROPPED like a sack of potatoes, pardner!
>>
>>12299066
>ruining your shoes because you're lazy
>>
>>12298939
Thank you for your valuable input
>>
>>12298788
>>12298081

They said lately, if you've already beaten up your boots they're not the "lately" "batch".
>>
>>12299066
>wanting speed hooks
>>
>>12299123
lol sorry did I trigger MFA?
>>
>>12297326

I've got two pair. Don't listen to these assholes. >>12297326
Got them used on the 'bay and soaked 'em up with olive oil and then beeswax. Got my cobbler to stitch on some rubber hiking soles.

I've had them a few years now and I love them. They fit my feet perfectly and the only downside to me was lack of the rubber sole.

Red Wings haven't clicked for me but my tan brogue boots are Grensons and they're solid.

Speed Hooks work for me and I loop the laces around back between the top and second from top hooks. Don't do the tops too tight or you get a tight ankle and loose foot fit.

Anyways 1000 miles are perfectly fine if they work for you. Check out White's too because they have some super fine boots. Also, please consider some of Viberg's standard boots instead of just looking at their boutique gear. Check their regular boot webpage and you'll be surprised what you can pull that is inexpensive but will be great dressed up correct.
>>
>>12297342
They may or may not hold up depending on user care and wear habits.

However, you are right in regards to them comparing to red wing:

Wolverine 1k's are of inferior quality of construction compared to red wing's heritage line stuff.

This is objective fact. Wolverine cut corners and skimp where red wing do not. Wolverine use a synthetic insole, whereas red wing use the time tested full leather insole for longevity, like virtually all remaining traditional quality shoemakers left in the world.

I'm not talking about the thin leather sock your feet actually touch, before some autist screeches at me saying that they do have leather insoles. They don't; that's not the insole. The insole is below that sock and is the a fundamental component within the shoe on which the entire stability of the shoe ultimately depends. There is a reason why quality shoe and bootmakers use full leather insoles rather than the cheapo synthetic or fibreboard insoles.

Additionally:
Wolverine do not have their own tannery, unlike red wing. Thus they are reliant upon the leather quality of other tanneries, in this case Horween.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as Horween if one of the per-eminent tanneries in the world and certainly the most notable one in the USA.

However, the quality of the chromexcel that wolverine buy from horween is of a very low grade.

Comparing cxl from say, viberg/whites et.al., to that of wolverine and you see that you get what you pay for in the end. Poor clicking.

Red Wing have their own tannery, and thus are responsible for the leather quality of their boots which is, overall, very good.
Nothing they currently have is exactly like Horween's Cxl I believe, but compared to the standard of cxl wolverine use, that's not such a problem imo.

Stylistically, if you prefer wolverine then whatever. Who gives a fuck and to each their own.
>>
>>12301020
All I'm saying is that at the end of the day, RW make better built boots. You can argue aesthetics and last fittings (the ultimate decider of all things that go on you feet - if the 1k's fit you better than other shit, take them).

One last thing:
Wolverine use leather soles.
Not necessarily a bad thing per se, but again, it's the quality of the leather soles they use which makes it not the optimal choice.

IMO, if the leather soled shoes you buy do not have oak bark tanned leather soles, either forgo them entirely in lieu of a rubber/composite soled alternative, or get them topied.

It's not just wolverine doing this, basically all cheaper shoes and boots out there use the inferior leather soles that do not last as long all things being equal.

Oak bark tanned go hand in hand with higher end footwear for a reason, as it's the proper, traditional and time tested method of creating long lasting leather soles.

The modern shit you see everywhere is a shortcut (oak bark tanning takes months and months), but you get what you pay for.

Not a problem if you're just going to topy them, as I would recommend for everything not oak bark tanned, but saying that this is another consideration if you're getting 1k's.

Depends on how often you wear them though, I guess. I've had standard leather soles last 6 months because I didn't care whether I wore them slogging through rain and shit near daily, and I've had them last for 4 years of regular wear but fastidiously avoiding water.

Overall: 1k's are not a bad boot, if you can get them cheaper than rw's heritage line.

Don't overpay, or, at least, if you must, at least know more about what you are paying for. That is all.

I do like however how 1k's look when properly beat up and worn in, despite my other misgivings about them.

>>12299050
I would avoid massdrop and shoes like the plague, unless you 100% know your size and what you're buying.

Oak street have some problems, but at that price I guess you could do worse
>>
>>12297342

Red wings are horrible. Even high schoolers wear them. Go find some other high quality boot.
>>
its funny when people read "horween cxl" they automatically think its god tier leather, from my experience. i think its dogshit honestly. it ages terribly and creases super badly
>>
>>12301969
In my experience it depends on the grade that's used and how well it was clicked. Cheaper the footwear in question, the worse the above two factors will be.
Alden is an exception to this rule as their shoes keep going up in price but their cxl is shitty and their skimpers extraordinaire in regards to clicking.

Basically, you can get non dogshit cxl, but it comes on costlier stuff (with good reason).
>and creases super badly
I've definitely seen this on cheaper, badly clicked boots. It's not even the creases at the flex points, it's almost like a delamination or degloving type thing where it looks like there's wrinkly veins under the leather.
Good clicking and higher grade (thicker etc.,) cxl does away with this.

However, cxl is what it is: a pullup leather. It will stretch like a motherfucker, and that's why I like it. It's very oily, doesn't take polish, but can take abuse better than say, ordinary calf or cow and damage can just be rubbed away for the most part.

When I see cxl advertised on shit like clarks desert boots or newbalance specials I know it's pure marketing. That have that little "Horween!" hangtag on those shoes, but it's not top grade stuff.

I would like to try some chromepak. But if you don't like cxl, you're probably not going to like chromepak, which is, from all sources, a better kind of cxl type leather.
>>
>>12299891
Me again, lots of good info and opinions expressed here.

Try them all on. You'll probably have to live with a couple pair of boots until you know what suits you best. Don't get swayed by the zinc content of the metal eyelets and the history of the factory where they're stamped out.

Some people want the look of a naked leather sole until they feel the stones under foot and slide on the lawn.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.