[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here sew outfits or items of clothing? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Does anyone here sew outfits or items of clothing?

I'm in need of a new hobby and I'm wondering what if its worth it and is there any advice from anyone here who does it in their free time.
>>
I started over the summer. It hasn't resulted in a lot of "wearable" stuff yet lol (except for a dress I made from a pattern) but it's very enjoyable and definitely worth it. My advice would be to just get a cheap, basic sewing machine and start. The best way to learn (for me at least) is through trial and error; tell yourself "I'm going to try and make a t-shirt," look up some tutorials, fuck it up, and try and fix what you did wrong next time.

Sewing from patterns is hella useful too. You learn a lot about construction that way. I think the main struggle in learning to sew isn't operating the machine itself, but the process of taking a 2D object (fabric) and making it a 3D object (clothing). You'll know what I mean by this once you start.
>>
I've started to but for the most part I mainly do cosplay. I've made some "real" clothing but it takes some practice for It to be worth it. It definitely should be easier starting from using patterns.
>>
>>11979039
if you're interested in doing it of course it's worth it
learning to do simple alterations like hemming and tapering alone will save you a lot of money on clothes
>>
>>11979039
I just started not too long ago and it helps a lot to practice by tracing the patterns of your favorite pieces and trying to reconstruct them from a different fabric.
>>
File: 20161121_142028.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161121_142028.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Yes, get these books
The Perfect Fit (Singer Sewing Reference Library)

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing Hardcover – December 1, 1997

Specifically the 1997 version of the readers digest book, these two books and you are good to go until you get into super advanced stuff and then you'll know what books to get by then.

Other than these two books, if you have specific interest in certain areas of tailoring/sewing there are a shit ton of books on the subject from the 60's - 90's that are cheaper (literally a single cent) and are a goldmine of great information
Working on something right now myself

Also I use this as a moment to ask if anyone has some good recommendations on books for pattern making?
>>
>>11979256
>>11979264
>>11979267
>>11979312
Thanks for the advice. I've wrote a lot of this down and will look a lot more into it.

>>11979609
Ive ordered the first book since ive managed to find it cheap but I will need to shop around for the second. Thanks for the help though. I'll keep looking for the second.
>>
>>11980299
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0895770261/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1479774748&sr=8-1
starting at 50 cents
>>
>>11979609

This is the book I used in school, along with the same Readers Digest book. Definitely recommend it - the newer editions are worth the money too because they do a much better job of explaining things.

https://www.valorebooks.com/textbooks/patternmaking-for-fashion-design-5th-edition-5th-edition/9780136069348?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Froogle&date=11/21/16
>>
>>11979039
You can get a serviceable sewing machine with a cabinet and probably a shoebox of thread and needles and things for 50 bucks on craigslist in my area

cannibalize old clothes and bedspreads for fabric and pattern pieces. Jo Ann always has fabric on sale so you can pick up apparel knits and woven cottons for 3 or 4 bucks a yard on the daily

make some pillowcases and curtains to learn about basting stitches and making seams with your sewing machine
>>
>>11981534
Thanks, this book has actually been recommend to me a few times now and I think I am going to pick it up.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.