[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /fa/, lets have a big dumb argument. I personally believe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: function over form.png (172KB, 265x509px) Image search: [Google]
function over form.png
172KB, 265x509px
Sup /fa/, lets have a big dumb argument.

I personally believe clothes should fulfill function before form. I don't particularly care about looking cool or hip, so long as I have decent pocket space, warmth, expansive capabilities (drawstrings that allow clothing to be "resized" at will), etc.

What do you think? What are your favourite pieces of utilitarian clothing? I always look to buy trousers with knee pockets. Without them, I tend to ignore trousers in search of others with them on.
>>
>>11494057
Looking nice is a function.

It communicates to the world a sense of self-awareness and self-regard that basically says you care about the world perceives you and that you probably don't smell terrible.
>>
I think form must correlate with function. "Looking good" is a function too, and a piece can be designed to fulfil that function and work as that. If however a piece is designed to fulfil a function you are not using it for, it's always alienating to me. Like military or work boots in streetwear, cargo pants that you are not using the extra pockets of, biker jackets when you are not a biker, business suits when you are not a business man, etc.
>>
>>11494122
So you're alienated from everything then...
>bomber jacket while not being in the Air Force
>Chelsea boots when not riding horses
>Stan smiths when not playing tennis
>GATs when not performing exercises in the Bundeswehr
>vans when not skateboarding
>t shirts when not a member of the military
>jeans when not being a farmer/laborer
>sweatshirts/sweatpants when not sweating
>derby shoes when not at a derby
>brogues when not crossing over a bog
Literally everything in fashion has a function you're not using it for based on your examples
>>
>>11494057
form over function or function over form is a false dichotomy
>>
What on earth are you doing that requires extra knee pockets and to resize your clothing?
>>
i personally believe youre a faggot
>>
>>11494057

yes but only weather functions (heat/cold/rain/wind/ect)
>>
i don't come here often, but I defnitiely feel the OP. I wear cargo pants/shorts 80% of the time. The rest of the time I just have to make up for the dearth of pockets with my coat.
>>
>>11494057
dude you'd love maharishi

get on it
>>
>>11494116
Aaaand the thread is done, wrap it up non-existent mod
>>
>>11494892
1. A lot of garments are nowadays alienated from their original function by design and collective association.
2. Yes, some of that still feels alienated to me. Although with regards to point 1., not as much as stuff that either is obviously not fulfilling its intended function (think suspenders with skinny jeans - plus belt, even; scarfs that hang so low they don't even cover the neck; glasses without prescription; ...), or stuff that has made a more recent transition into "fashion".
3. I know this is not terribly fashion-forward a stance. But when I see "designer" combat boots, cotton "pilot jackets", "college" jackets, celebrities wearing business suits, scrawny nerds in basketball sneakers, stitched-on pockets, etc., it all feels very tacky to me.
>>
>>11494122
Tough boots are just that, tough boots. Suits are comfy wool and cotton or linen, they're functional in any weather.
You're thinking about the cultural associations, instead of focusing on the function of the clothes.
>>
>>11495864
You don't need tough boots when you are walking on paved walkways and sit in laminated cafes. The toughness aspect they are specifically desgined for - i. e. withstanding particularly tough environments and conditions and functioning protectively in them - is not being utilized. Steel toe caps, hiking boots, spike soles, rubber boots - these do not come off as odd to you in a city setting? And in my mind this already begins with work boots.

And I wasn't talking about just suits. I'm talking the more uncomfortable stuff meant to make you look professionally presentable to clients. Cufflinks, ties, tieclips, high socks, hard shoes, stiff collars, freshly ironed everything. And getting properly dressed in a suit is obviously more effort too.

Anyway, those are just examples. Some obviously more alienating than others. And I do admit that collective or cultural association plays into it. Although you could still argue on every individual piece to some extent for and against it really only being associatively not-alienating: In Japan, people wear these face masks that are proven to be ineffective at preventing spread of disease as far as I know, i. e. they don't even manage to fulfil their intended function, but they are culturally appropriated as fashion. It would alienate me seeing these here more because of the lack of that appropriation rather than lack of function. But the opposite exists as well. Designer "combat" boots that wouldn't last a day in an actual combat setting don't come off as militaristic or anything and are acceptable to be worn in a casual setting here. But the form not even being intended to fulfil its original function is alienating to me with those.

These are just scrambled thoughts though. It's not like I give this much of a fuck what people in general wear and for what reasons. I just wouldn't be comfortable wearing it myself, I guess.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.