[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've long been an observer of various trends in fashion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I've long been an observer of various trends in fashion but none
have had the same sway across various industries that streetwear does.

I think streetwear is great, it incorporates functional clothing
and I think of it more as a style that incorporates various others
and works them into the streetwear name which allows for various
subsets of streetwear.

The problem, I think, comes from the fact that there are too many
well-established hypebeast brands which over genericize streetwear as whole
by being the "go-to" brands while not featuring much, if any, deviation from
any of their looks. In my opinion, this is only one of the problems plaguing streetwear
and preventing it from being taken seriously on any level that matters.

Another issue is the demographic. Many streetwear fans typically follow trends
and that means following what everyone else is buying (see above paragraph) which
prevents people from experimenting with different types of fits within streetwear.
A related issue is the over-classification of styles and trends. Nowadays you can't
deviate too much from one style with any number of statement pieces or otherwise without
your fit being recognized as belonging to anything other than streetwear.

How do you think, if you think it's possible at all, we could reinvigorate streetwear as a whole
and make it more respectable and creative?
>>
>>11369730
Bump for non-b8 content
>>
>>11369730

first define what streetwear is
>>
>>11369891
>the three bars on the bag
>Sacred geometry socks
>Father's name for daughter, mother's name for son
>>
>>11369730
I don't really think the respect streetwear gets is a problem. I think it's pretty easy to differentiate template street wear and creative street wear. Template is like: Supreme boxed logo, Bape, etc. Though creative street wear can also have brands like Supreme, nothing wrong with it, depends on what pieces you're wearing and how.

If someone thinks that all street wear are the same then I really don't give a fuck what that person is thinking. Just wear what you like. Like a lot of people gets turned off by how something goes mainstream and then avoids it. But that's just forcing wanting to wear something niche, the special snowflake you know. So if you like something mainstream, go for it, just don't fall into a templete fit cause that's just boring.
>>
I feel like the moment you classify your outfit or style or w/e as streetwear you've already "lost".

Find it hard to explain. It's unlike other memes like normcore or palewave where you can just put a sticker on an outfit, because of the palette or silhouette.
>>
>>11369730
Kanye can make anything fashionable.. he can wear his underwear on his head and everyone will copy him. I have much respect for his influence.
>>
The problem with modern streetwear is that most of it lacks restrained experimentation brought upon by strong aesthetic sensibilities. Too often it tries to capture the elements of a subculture and distill it into clothing but it just ends up copying the subculture it tries to express without pushing out anything inventive. See Gosha and gopniks or Supreme and skateboarders. For good streerwear, I suggest everyone check Nasir Mazhar and his whole process. His headwear alone warrants a following.
>>
OP here, glad to see people actually care to discuss instead of just shitpost on here.

>>11369891
Like in my original post, I think streetwear is clothing that is functional and can incorporate other trends into itself whilst not remaining too reminiscent of those styles that have influenced it.

I don't actually like to call it "streetwear" because I feel it could be so much more complex than it is and I think part of the reason it lacks complexity is due to the rampant labeling happening in fashion these days. I don't know if this is an artificially pushed norm in order to keep people lapping up new trends or if it just naturally formed but I really don't think its conducive to creative progress.

"Streetwear" is something that speaks primarily to the youth culture. I think streetwear has the ability to remain indefinitely as it should be able to advance with the times. I understand "youth culture" is pretty broad as people are pretty spread out across the spectrum these days but I think it's pretty clear to whom and to what lifestyle streetwear is currently catering to.
>>
>>11369926
My main problem is the fact that a lot of uniformed people will shit on ugly/generic streetwear outfits and will choose to classify good streetwear as anything else that its close to.

You can find elements of nearly every subcategory of fashion in various streetwear fits and it only becomes something other than streetwear once it incorporates something not commonly associated with streetwear.

This, in turn, causes a perceived stagnation in streetwear because people experimenting and doing cool new things are just being grouped into an entirely different category by trendhoppers.
>>
>>11370379
please excuse the spelling errors.
>>
>>11369962
This is exactly why I think streetwear needs to be reinvigorated. I think it leaves so much room for creativity by not having a strict set of criteria (save for those being forced onto it as of late).

Problem is streetwear seems like one of the most easy "entry points" for people wanting to look cool or trendy which gives big names enough power to shit out a stream of generic clothing.

The whole idea of labeling is stupid to me as it only helps reinforce these ideas.
>>
>>11370062
I feel like people are trying too hard to label trends and styles which creates great difficulties when it comes to putting out new styles.

The incorporation of various subcultures has always been an important part of fashion but people are taking it too far by going so far as to group specific color palettes under one "style".

This again is directly related to the demographic which most mainstream streetwear brands want to appeal to.

As long as these big brands keep pumping out generic products, the likelihood of smaller designers trying to push the envelope will stay pretty tiny.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.