[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it me or do the only people that really seek validation when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: versace.jpg (75KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
versace.jpg
75KB, 400x400px
is it me or do the only people that really seek validation when it comes to fashion, mostly wear gucci, louis vuitton, and /or wear gold chains and rings?

think about it, most of us on here we really don't want validation from normies, hell i just get strange stares if I step out in some RO.

It's just a perk if someone else recognizes what I'm wearing.

but normies, literally try to by the most heavily branded stuff just so they can get someone to notice them, they even go so far as to "pimping their rides", or blaring loud music out of their cars.
>>
yeah, those type of people literally only buy the brand because of the attention they get, not if they like the design or not.

personally i think that's fucking weird.
>>
>hurr im white upper middle class and money has never been an issue for me on anyone i know so why do others flaunt their wealth

"If you grew up with holes in your zapatos. You'd celebrate the minute you was having dough." - jay Z
>>
>>11254551
Jokes on you , I'm a middle class black/white male, that just happens to have good taste
>>
>>11254197
Did you just notice this?
Do you think you've stumbled upon some grand insight into fashion?
>>
>>11254197
no
you could think that, but people with money have the option to wear more expensive and better quality clothing. they have that choice and they just wear it. saying the "really wealthy" don't show it is just fucking retarded over generalization.
>>
>>11254740
Everyone enjoys their money however they want.

The Jay-Z quote refers obviously to the super poor. He is right although that doesn't make it less poor taste. Finally /fa/ is using the word taste correctly btw.

Its ignorant people that dont know better. Like a kid making a joke about the defunct in a funeral thats bad taste.
>>
>>11254551
why do niggers think it's deep whenever they flaunt their riches? no, nig, you're just wearing gucci you're not sending any messages other than "i hab moneez"
>>
File: ye.png (72KB, 720x432px) Image search: [Google]
ye.png
72KB, 720x432px
>>11254780

Every single black person with money is living a rags to riches storyline because we are descendants of slaves

A black person flaunting their wealth is showing off the fact that they were able to beat the system specifically designed to keep them behind
>>
>>11254740

>things I cant relate to are dumb
>>
>>11255015
o shit guys abandon thread, /pol/ is coming
>>
>>11254197
Of course it's just show off. These people are often empty inside and need validation.
>>
File: 1457997611536.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457997611536.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
>>11255057
>empty inside
aren't we all to be honest?
>tfw you're a consumerist piece of shit
>>
>>11254197
"Validation" muddies the issue.
Anyone who puts any thought into their clothing is looking to IDENTIFY with a certain set or make a certain impression.

Brands like LV and Versace capitalize on people who are class insecure. Now, the actual very wealthy don't buy a lot of LV and Versace, but these customers don't know any actual rich people anyway and so just take what their marketing tells them. This gets shit on because the customer is obviously being taken for a ride.

Someone who grew up rich and going to private schools is likely to dress in what we call a "prep" or "frat" style to identify with their peers. This gets less scorn because it's based in reality and doesn't mark that person as a marketing rube.

Someone who wears a lot of streetwear generally wants to be identified with the set of whoever it is that wears streetwear, and so on.
>>
>>11254197
>le nurmies XDDDDD
neck yourself

You are not a special little snowflake OP
>>
Also, its really funny how some normies will say they would never spend 1k on say geobaskets, or a leather jacket.
But still buy gucci and louis vuitton wallets and purses
>>
>>11255312
That's just a matter of valuing branding over quality. For example, I like Gucci loafers but would never buy a pair with the Gucci web strap over the top, while there are people who would only buy the ones with the strap because "how else will people know it's Gucci?"
>>
>>11255106
this is very true
i wear alot of converse piece due to my liking of converse and due to having an infatuation with someone who does too
>>
>>11255106
Thats nothing but bullshit you Tell here.
>>
>>11254197
obviously.... how is this not obvious....
>>
File: nonigga.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
nonigga.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>11255015
>Every single black person with money is living a rags to riches storyline because we are descendants of slaves

>A black person flaunting their wealth is showing off the fact that they were able to beat the system specifically designed to keep them behind
>>
>>11255106
>"Validation" muddies the issue.

This. It's ingroup signalling. Subcultural tribes.
>>
File: 2qRWVF0.jpg (91KB, 613x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2qRWVF0.jpg
91KB, 613x1024px
No idea. I'm a simple creature - all I care about is visuals and durability. That is, I want 1) a certain look 2) quality. Sometimes I wish I could make my own clothes.
That is all.
>>
File: CWfSqbsWcAAsHKZ.jpg (40KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
CWfSqbsWcAAsHKZ.jpg
40KB, 600x412px
Isn't this sort of attitude causing a revolt among rich consumers and now they're straying from monograms/conspicious branding because of it? Industryfags, pls respond.
>>
>>11255015
See I like how Kanye phrases it, but the way you phrase it makes it seem like whitey is against you and is still systemically oppressing you, when that's not the case.
>>
>>11256394

"rich" consumers have always strayed from that kind of thing. its why brands like lanvin and loro piana are so often worn by truly wealthy people. good, luxury clothing with absolutely no branding. only nouveau riche people and the middle class wear clothes to show off
>>
>>11256394
This has been a thing since forever pretty much. In "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System," (1983) Paul Fussell laid out the principal that the truly wealthy and secure avoid things that are legible. This means logos, recognizable prints, anything that tells you who made it basically. Much better to have a hand-made cardigan of the finest cashmere than one with a little pony on the chest.
>>
Niggers
>>
>>11254551
Work? Study? Hell you can even work/start a dairy/farm in the countryside? What is stopping poor blacks?
>Muh racist cops
>>
>>11256453
I think that's the effect of some upper class markers trickling down to the plebs, which causes the upper class to seek something else. Any recommended reading on this in /fa/ context?
>>
>>11256466
IQ
>>
>>11256485
"Class" and "Uniforms", also by Fussell
>>
The middle class will never understand that, of all 3 major classes, they are the most insecure about their position in the layer cake.

The upper middle is the most obnoxious of all. They CONSTANTLY bash the lower class for wearing logos and do so very loudly & publicly. You will almost never hear the upper class do so. Why? Because they understand branding is just signaling and a way of identifying one's peer. The lower rung celebrates the little they achieved because it truly is harder for them than it is for everyone. In this aspect it is vital for them to be able to spot another fellow and establish social links.

The middle class is pretty much everywhere. Identifying another specimen is no hard feat. You fucks are omnipotent in society. They mistakenly confuse the absence of logos for good taste and aesthetics as an end goal.The objectiven for the upper class is to distinguish one another by the quality, rarity and prestige of their material belongings. The stealth is functional. Networking is key at this level of society.

The upper middle apes this never understanding the absence of logo doesn't equal good taste. Since they crave feeling like they achieved something they constantly introduce smaller logos or half obvious signs to keep up with the joneses.

The small "discrete" pony logo middle class making fun of the big pony logo lower class thinking they are superior will always be funny to the upper class.
>>
>>11255015
WE
>>
>>11255015
WUZ
>>
>>11255015
KANGZ
>>
>>11254197
I see a lot of trust fund kids in both Europe and america emulating nouveau riche rapper style. It's gone full circle. gaudy new money types are much more common than their more rarefied old money counterparts. Remember most of the wealthy people in Asia, Eastern Europe and the Middle East were literal plebs 50 years ago.
>>
>>11256780
It's the same insecurity. This may sound really fedora, but money and class are only related, not the same thing. Class is about having high status and being comfortable with it.
>>
We are all seeking validation.
>>
>>11255015
your wrong not all the blacks that went to america were slaves. allways playing the victim card.
>>
>>11256780

i wish I could find a nouveau riche asian qt to buy me Zannoti and Givenchy.
>>
>>11256630
I kind of get what you mean?

so like

upper class = ralph lauren black label/purple label

middle class = ralph lauren polo with small horse

lower class = ralph lauren polo with big horse
>>
Because anon-kun, poor people who become new money don't know how to control themselves or their wealth so they splash cash on making sure everyone knows they're wealthy. That's why they all have Medusa heads on their shoes and LV belts, shit that's instantly recognisable as expensive. It's because they're so desperate to let people know that they made it from where they were to where they are now, but instead of coming off classy it comes off very gaudy / gauche.

I went to a private school with a kid from a poor suburb who was amongst very wealthy people. The wealthy people knew how to express wealth subtly, many drove Mercedes or had a subtle AP / similar on their wrist. Something to let people who were in the know that you were one of them. But this kid didn't have that money and was at the school on a scholarship. Then one day his parents literally won the lottery and then suddenly he was wearing the most revolting eyesore of a watch I'd ever seen, this huge gold Breitling which screamed "new money" from a mile away, wore Versace / Giuseppe sneakers on free-dress days, drove a matte orange Bentley, etc. Anything he could do to stand out and show that he belonged to the "money club" he did.

I've seen it first hand, it's quite sad really.
>>
>>11258241
those are called africans, or african americans. there is a big difference between blacks and african americans. blacks are ex slaves that dont know where they are from but their best guess is africa. african americans are all africans in america that know where they are from in africa to a certain extent weather ex slave or not. you could have said african americans that would be fine, Blacks is a different term. dont believe me? take a black studies class or something. dont care? then fine.
>>
File: tumblr_o03vgwIrFj1qgwpqno1_400.gif (121KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o03vgwIrFj1qgwpqno1_400.gif
121KB, 320x240px
>>11254197
>think about it, most of us on here we really don't want validation from normies

Then why are you posting fits here??
>>
>>11259691
never posted a fit on here in my life, except once to get some opinions on what shoes to wear with a pair of pants
>>
>>11256394
This is true in Western countries to an extent, but there's an interesting inversion in developing Eastern countries like China. In China it's both acceptable and desirable to flaunt wealth, especially among the younger generation. Parents will fund their children's gaudy and expensive lifestyles as a way to show their peers that they've made it in life. The parents themselves may be reserved and dress in a dignified manner, allowing the kids to show off for them.

As an aside, many of the brands known for large logos or monograms (think Hermes or LV) prodice very high quality and tasteful runway and couture lines that just get eclipsed in the public eye by the moneymaking products like fancy belts or gaudy bags.
>>
>>11259244
Yeah, that's a fair assessment. To my knowledge Purple Label isn't visibly branded anywhere, is expensive and only sold in relatively exclusive stores where insecure people are afraid to shop for fear of making a faux pas.

>>11259581
Jesus, that's extreme. I went to a private school in the bible belt where tuition is low because people send their kids there to keep them away from negroes and not necessarily to get an elite education, so loads of middle-class people with tacky Coach purses and huge trucks to pretend they were rich. None of those kids could afford an AP or anything actually nice like that, so I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven when I got to college and started encountering people with actual taste.
>>
>>11259918
Big luxury brands are actually starting to see slowed growth in Asia, and their research indicates that wealthy Chinese are actually starting to find the logos tacky. People learn.

Hermes is so damn nice, but tarnished by what's really only a handful of items aimed at badge-whores.
>>
>>11254197
>implying the kids on /fa/ aren't more starved for validation

People here are even more attention hungry even if it is in more subtle ways.
>>
>>11259951
this.. you try just as hard, just impressing different demographics.
>>
>>11259945
That makes sense. As the Chinese economy continues to grow, more and more people can afford to spend on fashion and thus, the exclusivity formerly associated with big logos and loud brands is lost.

The same thing happened in the Western world in the mid '90's when the economy started booming again. Obnoxious designers like Oscar de la Renta, Armani, and Gaultier who were huge in the '80's dropped to the wayside as people like Helmut lang introduced a new cool typified by subtle and effortless looks over flash and branding.
>>
>>11254551
>"If you grew up with holes in your zapatos. You'd celebrate the minute you was having dough." - jay Z

Honestly, this. The new money behavior might be vain, but I understand it.
>>
>>11259945
Rick Owens actually seems quite popular in China
>>
>>11259677
if im african in england, im still black you retard
>>
>>11254197
>doesn't like to blare music out of their car

why listen to Converge if I can't listen to it really really loud?
>>
>>11259918
What about this Middle Eastern sheikh tier aesthetic? Is this basically still dirty plebs trying to touch opulence?
>>
>>11260503
Basically yes, though I'm not certain that Arabs are even capable of feeling self-consciousness or shame.
>>
>>11259944
According to you, what kind of person shops at CH Carolina Herrera?
>>
>>11259969
Late 90s-early 00s minimalism flopped later though. Things became tacky again.
>>
>>11260516
I don't know what kind of stuff they sell under her brand, but her style is fantastic and resembles a lot of more patrician women I know.
>>
>>11260526
CH seems very tacky, saccharine yet matronly, with tons of logos and upper middle class housewife shoppers. Every collection is the same stuff with silhouettes and fabrics endlessly swapped inbetween. Lots of lace and rhinestones everywhere. Men's stuff is preppy.

Basically, imagine a chola trying to cosplay Nancy Reagan. That's CH.
>>
>>11260536
Sounds dreadful. I probably should have guessed it was like that since I'd never heard of it.
>>
File: netflix-logo.png (86KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
netflix-logo.png
86KB, 1200x675px
all humans internally seek outside validation

its an evolutionary trait that enables a sense of belonging/cooperation within a tribe and thus ensures survival

clothing is ultimately an expression of how an individual wants others to perceive them as

whether it's gucci or siki im

tl;dr we're all basic
>>
>>11260503
That's a related but different force in action. The rules of Islam prohibit a lot of things and encourage modesty in all things including fashion. The young dudes who deck themselves in A|X and flashy watches are both flaunting their wealth and rebelling against a restrictive society.

More than fashion, you see wealthy middle easterners flaunting their wealth in the form of fancy cars. They have an odd fixation with cars. If you have the app Periscope go on there and find someone in the middle east. 90% of the time they're using the app from their car.

>>11260523
Of course. Fashion is cyclical. The movement had a lasting impact though. The reason Lang is still relevant, discussed, and copied to this day is his legacy. He's the reason Dior jeans have a minimal black on black label and the reason Chanel staged the SS16 runway show on the same level as the audience instead of a catwalk. Lang made designer fashion accessible and desirable to everyone. The people who wanted lux appreciated his quality and the people who wanted cool appreciated his lack of branding because only other people 'in the know' would understand what (and who) you were wearing.
>>
>>11254197
Humans, particularly males, are biologically inclined to draw attention to themselves. The willingness to draw attention to oneself is an indicator of confidence, which is largely an extension of testosterone and strength. People wear supposedly "high-end" brands and jewelry for the same reason ancient tribesmen decorated their heads with lavish, impractical masks. It's to showcase some degree of confidence, to draw eyes to the wearer, and to send a message to onlookers.

So yes, people wear such adornments because they "seek validation," because all mentally well humans are seek validation. Validation is what gets genetics passed forth. Ancient beta males without badass tusk helmets never got their dick wet.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.