[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have come to a realization. I dress terrible and look terrible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: FB_IMG_1449195001677.jpg (28KB, 540x414px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449195001677.jpg
28KB, 540x414px
I have come to a realization. I dress terrible and look terrible and have for years and years and just plain never noticed. Now I can not unsee how bad it is and I want to start building a wardrobe. I have already starting excercising a bit to help make things look a little better.

I am making this thread because the sticky link doesnt seem to work and I do not know where to begin.
>>
i dont' have any of the infographs but here's a bump

basically go buy some plain grey black and white tshirts
buy a pair of slimish dark and light wash jeans
now you dress ok
>>
>>10967473
I have a bunch they all dont really fit according to what Ive read with just a google search and lurking some waywt.

Is true that jeans should fit without need of a belt to be a good fit?

Also its winter so I need a little more on top of just t shirts. Looking for a light jacket to prepare for spring. I have no idea what looks good though
>>
>>10967473
what about sweathirts and longsleeve tees?
>>
>>10967460
Cut and fabric.
Cut and fabric.
Cut and fabric are the two building blocks to a good wardrobe and everything else really flows from these two things.

>Cut
The biggest thing you can do is wear clothes that actually fit your body (not the one you're striving for, but the one you have NOW.)

I know it sounds both obvious and impossible, but you really need to have a good long look at yourself in your current clothes and see what you would improve. Are your pants too baggy? Do they sag in the seat and give you elephant butt? Do your shirts just hang off your shoulders without fitting closer to your torso? Are you wearing button-up shirts that really should be tucked in? If you wear blazers or sportcoats or peacoats, do the seams fit your shoulders correctly? Or did you just say "I'm a medium, sure", and just fling it off the rack and swipe your credit card?

Now try picking out things in your wardrobe that you find yourself reaching for day after day. What do they have in common? Do they fit you better than the rest? Where do they let you down?

Get to know your body type; there's a million tutorials online for that.

>Fabric
Let me start off by saying that synthetics are not your enemy, but they have to be used in moderation. Poly blends for shirts are nice because they breathe like cotton and drape (and resist wrinkling) like polyester. Consider synthetics made with natural plant pulps, like modal, new rayon, tencel, and bamboo, because they're seriously comfortable and will skim your body and make you look less fat.

If you're investing in something a little heavier and more serious, like outerwear, jackets, sweaters, skirts if you're a girl, or a suit, you'd best get comfortable with wool, cashmere, and canvas. 100% polyester, though tempting because it's cheap, will only disappoint you in the end.

I would post more but only if you're interested
>>
>>10967512
Start with muted block colours while you're getting to grips with what looks good on you. Like earlier poster said, grey and black is good, dark navy blues, military/olive green, avoid bright Irish greens, garish reds, yellows until you've got the confidence that you know what you're doing works.

Building a basic wardrobe cheap:

Go to Uniqlo for t-shirts (long sleeve tees can work but more risky than short sleeves)

Gildan for hoodies, you can get them wholesale dirt cheap

Jeans, cheap Monday are decently priced for their quality. As earlier poster said get a dark pair, black/dark grey and a lighter denim pair

Not sure of the climate where you live but if you need another layer, on top of hoodies you can't go wrong with. Harrington/coaches jacket. As for colours it depends on hoodie colours but alternating black and olive/military green hoodies/jackets is easy points for starters

Just keep it simple desu
>>
>>10967531
I think cut is where I want to focus, so at least what I can afford now will actually fit. It was a crazy feeling, I actually tried on all my clothes testing their fits, I'm now embarrassed because my favorite things look so terrible. I seriously think this has been affecting my life and I haven't even known it. I'm not shooting for a fashion icon or anything. I just want to have some knowledge of not being fashionably retarded.

I am interested in what you would have to say about the fabrics but I usually get overwhelmed with information. Especially since I'm going to go to a store with affordability on my mind and I don't want to discourage myself once I see high price tags.

>>10967539
Are Wal mart t-shirts alright? They are the majority of what I own. Are those places you mentioned in Canada? I'm in Vancouver so I deal with rain semi daily.

Another big question.

Logos: Good or bad?
>>
>>10967473
>>10967460

Before you do all this, realise that you can't be /fa/ without being somewhat /fit/.

What are your measurements? height, weight, BMI will do
>>
>>10967598
>Logos: Good or bad?

Baaaaaaaaad
>>
>>10967598
Logos are bad, for starters.
>>
>>10967460
dude minimalist is the way to go for you right now. Like the first person said, white shirts, black/grey pants, same with the shoes. it's a good start up before you begin building your actual wardrobe, which can and should take a few months maybe year
>>
>>10967598
The places I've mentioned can all be bought online.

I'm English so have no experience of WalMart clothes, but I'm comfortable suggesting that you're better off going elsewhere.

Logos = bad (generally)

As I think these are two things that seem important to you; it's much safer and cheaper to avoid logos and excessive branding.
>>
>>10967598
That's totally fair re: the fabrics.

Maybe the most important is how easily can you try on clothes. Do you have access to fast fashion (where you can get great cuts in borderline OK fabrics to at least test what looks good on you and what you enjoy wearing)?

I'm from Toronto so that feels like light years away from Vancouver in some ways (like the rain...). BUT that means your climate is ideal for leather bombers and tweed jackets and layering, so I'm super jealous.

I'd avoid online shopping for now. Try stuff in person! For me the gateway drug was H&M because I never properly tried skinny jeans before, and then that was all I bought. Then I bought them from better stores, building on that experience of which fabrics wore awesomely and which fabrics were a definite nope. (also, the H&Ms here have dressing room mirrors that allow you to see what you look like from the back, which is SO key)
>>
>>10967603
Working on just push ups and running at the moment. It's a start.

5'10 maybe? 150lbs, I'm a skinny white guy.

>>10967606
>>10967610
>>10967618
Good because I don't own any logo anything.

>>10967612
This is engcouraging, I thought I'd be looking at like $1000+ all at once or some shit, that's why I've never really taken this on.

>>10967644
I've always enjoyed layering too. I'm sure exactly what you mean by fast fashion?

I can spend some time in an H&M pretty easily but it's a weird experience, I've never really shopped for style and I always kind of self conscious picking out clothes.
>>
File: inb4reddit.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
inb4reddit.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>10967612
Yep, go for solid colours, avoid patterns for now (exception: stripes), try stuff that's a little tighter than normal.

also remember that every good outfit is slightly a little uncomfortable. It takes some getting used to but the payoff is incredible. You'll see it in photos too.
>>
>>10967670
Agree with Toronto anon,
H&M is a good starting point.
Go in there and pick up a few plain tees, stick to round neck to start, a couple of pairs of jeans in different fits (try slim + skinny) and some black shoes (Chelsea boots might be a good idea) and try them all on in a changing room. Don't buy shoes from H&M but theyre worth using in changing rooms to try different outfits
>>
>>10967679
>
everything in there is fine except for the shoes and jackets
>>
>>10967670
Fast fashion is really any house that copies runway looks at a faster rate than places like The Gap etc,. and place a higher emphasis on cut rather than fabric. Usually the quality is all over the place. (see HM/Zara/Uniqlo/Mango/Jcrew to an extent)

In my experience H&M is best enjoyed during off-peak hours when you're not intimidated by crowds or pissed off by the long changeroom lines. Go before noon on a weekday, have a couple of shots (but ONLY a couple of shots) beforehand to smooth off the edges and then plunge in. Wear things you can easily slip off so you don't get sweaty and frustrated.

I keep saying this on /fa but think it bears repeating: If it feels wrong on your body, it is, and no amount of tugging and pulling in the dressing room is gonna change that.

The two criteria for assessing whether something is good is:

1) Will I be ok if I run into an ex on the street wearing this?
2) Do I feel like wearing this out of the store, right now?

If you can satisfy both of those you questions, you have a winner.
>>
>>10967709
Toronto anon agrees with you :) esp. with the shoes.
>>
File: zL8mbDv.jpg (1003KB, 1728x3072px) Image search: [Google]
zL8mbDv.jpg
1003KB, 1728x3072px
Sticky is working, I would read it it really helped my style. Try on a lot of different clothes to find the best fit. Remember shop well and shop often.
>>
>>10967679
That's a manageable looking picture.

>>10967720
Do you guys actually take shots?

That's good advice except for if I feel satisfied enough to walk out of the store with it, that's the attitude that got me into this problem in the first place.

>>10967730
It is. Thank you anon, I've been checking on and off past few days but didn't check today.

I'm heading out for the night but thank you guys for patience/advice. I feel like I have a good start to it.
>>
File: 4406980_IMG_5429aaa.jpg (173KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
4406980_IMG_5429aaa.jpg
173KB, 640x960px
>>10967679
wow, that's shit

learn to use color

OP, prep is the only way to dress if you want people to actually notice you dressing well
>>
>>10967828
OP ignore this post
>>
File: kwATN.jpg (78KB, 413x594px) Image search: [Google]
kwATN.jpg
78KB, 413x594px
>>10968249
I sure hope you know that most of /fa/ is laughed at by other boards because of how generically you guys dress and how easily you buy into worthless fads

OP, listen. Prep and menswear is the only way to go. /fa/ is very feminine in the ways they dress. Don't go that way.
>>
>>10968254
>>10967828
/fa/ will hate it, but its the truth. If you dress preppy you will pretty much get noticed for dressing well. Now I'm not saying that other styles don't look good, but the average person just doesn't give a shit about fashion as much as they may pretend to.
>>
>>10968283
I don't know man. You're about to trust OP with wearing short-sleeved polos in a range of fucking ice cream colours right off the bat and manage to pull it off? I wouldn't.
>>
>>10968283
Prep and suits that fit are the way to look good to most people. /fa/ is an insular community, an echo chamber circlejerk. Styleforum has okay suit advice, but they're pretty conservative.
>>
File: FA meetup.png (2MB, 1200x4495px) Image search: [Google]
FA meetup.png
2MB, 1200x4495px
>>10967460
Don't rush it. Spend time looking at inspo and actually think through what kind of look you want to go for. You don't want to get too eager and buy a lot of shit and a couple of months realize you spent a huge amount of money on things you didn't really like, just for the sake of trying to update your wardrobe.

Hurry slowly.

>>10968249
Pic related.
>>
File: 18 going on 67.jpg (598KB, 1892x3445px) Image search: [Google]
18 going on 67.jpg
598KB, 1892x3445px
>>10968604
>Styleforum has okay suit advice, but they're pretty conservative.

I like suits and menswear a lot, but I wouldn't trust SF to dress me up for the reason you state. You don't want to end up looking like pic related, for example. I mean, the cut is real nice, but the colours and shit they promote? No.

You're much better off finding good instagrams to follow and gather inspiration from there.
>>
>>10967720
>Uniqlo
When has Uniqlo ever coppied runaway fashion?
>>
>>10967460
>> exercising a bit

sounds pretty much to me like " i c-can do like 12 push ups n-now "
>>
>>10968254
>>10968934
I'm "OP ignore this post"

I agree that yes, amongst most communities dressing 'preppy' or traditional or whatever you want to call it is a good way to be considered fashionable amongst the majority of the people.

However, it's not easy to do with no prior experience of how to dress.
>>10968365
Said, he'd likely end up wearing terrible colour combinations in ill fitting suit jackets and baggy chinos.

What has been suggested throughout this thread and has been considered '/fa/ hive mind circlejirk echo chamber' is actually just cheap, inoffensive basics. When you've got a simple solid base you can build up to more elaborate, stylised things.

No one is telling this guy to go and buy full Rick or any form of goof ninja/pale wave/lunarcore bullshit.
L
>>
>>10967717
jacket I could understand but i disagree with you about the shoes.
>>
If your just starting out, go to r/mfa...
They have great beginner guides and the community is really helpful. /fa/ hates on r/mfa because its boring, but tb h, if you're just starting out, its your best bet.
>>
just wear what you like tbqh, sounds like before you didn't care about clothes, now you do. browse fa and you may see clothes you like, w2c them, have fun
>>
File: 1455213673452.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1455213673452.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>10967460
Ok OP. I had the same experience as you. Here is what I would recommend you to do:
Embrace minimalism.
There are three reasons for that
>1- It's easy.
So now you realise you don't know shit about anything. Most likely, you are so lost that any thing you choose has the potential to be retardedly bad. Minimalism is so basic it would take you less than a week to know anything that is to be known about it. Just apply general effay tips like the guy above talking cuts and fabrics. Plain shirts. White sneakers. Clean face. Easy.

>2- It works.
Maybe some people here are edgy faggots who criticise minimalism. Not in the real world though. Minimalism is a guaranteed success if you don't tryhard. Most of the great fashion designers have a core minimalist aesthetic. Just go to any other discipline where "good taste" is required. Architecture, art. You can't go wrong picking the same approach that le corbusier, mies van der rohe and rothko chose.

And the most important of all:
>3-Tabula rasa.
Now I'm not even talking about /fa/. You have to question everything you do or have. If you do the minimalist process well, you will only have/do the core things that define you. If you are critical enough about it, you might realise you have no fucking idea of what you are and you will end up with having/doing nothing. That serves as a tabula rasa, a blank state that allows you to build yourself from nothing. In a sense, if you are a building and realise you are fucked up, reforms aren't going to cut it. Just destroy that piece of shit and try to build a new one. Don't worry if that process takes a lot of time, deciding what you are/want to be isn't usually intuitive. Get to know yourself better. Study yourself, what makes you happy and why it makes you happy. Take some acid. Then do what makes sense to you, take control of your life.
Then you might grow out of minimalism into something truly yours.
>>
>>10967460
to get /fit/ read their sticky it's so fucking simple that it was the first program that actually put me in shape
>>
>>10967679
dont buy the striped shirts, the aweful cardigans the cheap watch or the scarf
>>
File: 1454603743211.jpg (50KB, 760x564px) Image search: [Google]
1454603743211.jpg
50KB, 760x564px
One thing that hasn't been mentioned jet is: pay attention. A great deal of dressing well is to pay attention, to yourself and your surroundings. Start to look at what other people around you are wearing. Notice those occasional bypassers that dress really well. what are the trends that people around are following? Who wears what? How does that shape your perception of that person? Essetially: look at as much inspo as possible until you get a feeling what you like.
Also notice the body type of people wearing good fits. If its too different from your body, don't try to copy it, but just understand why it works on that person and why it might not work for you (or maybe it does).

Look for harmony and contrast. Too much harmony (same colors, same fabrics, same cut) is boring and too much contrast doesn't work at all. Good fits have both, try to analyze your inspo in that regard.

As anon said, get to know your body type, and get to know the standard ideal body type. If you are disproportioned (many people are, nothing dramatic about it) try to balance your appearance with long/short or wide/slim cuts.

Get to know your skin type. This is important for choosing colors if you decide to incorporate colors. What harmonizes or contrasts well with your skin and hair? Take a look at color theory to understand what colors work well together (again, it's a case of harmony or contrast).

into-mind dot com is agrat resource for building a wardrobe from scratch. It goes deeper into all those topics mentioned in this thread.

Have a nice journey, don't spend too early.
Pic unrelated
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.