[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /fa/ I need some assistance. I want to trade up from a shitty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 16

File: lether-jacket.jpg (133KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
lether-jacket.jpg
133KB, 1500x1500px
Hi /fa/ I need some assistance.
I want to trade up from a shitty hoodie and get a leather jacket. Only problem is I don't know dick about them.
What are some things I need to look out for?
Styles? Brands? Materials? Sizes? etc.
Should I buy online or in person?
Should I get fitted for one?
Any advice, infographs, or links on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
>>
get one from Mr. Porter
>>
don't buy a leather jacket if you're going to use it as a hoodie replacement, jesus christ
>>
>>10691803
Why exactly?
I shouldn't try to upgrade my wardrobe?
>>
Dont buy a leather jacket that retails for less than $700.
>>
>>10691836
this
>>
>>10691836
>>10691847
Any particular reason why?
Or is the price tag all that matters to you?
>>
File: G49756_A.png (456KB, 560x630px) Image search: [Google]
G49756_A.png
456KB, 560x630px
>>
>>10691860
quality of the leather
>>
>>10691860
Any cheaper is shit tier leather m8, but assuming your present outwear consists of a shitty hoody, you'll probably be fine buying some high street leather jacket.
No point buying something that nice when you're clearly a plen
>>
>>10691860
good leather is expensive. High quality leather will last forever and look great no matter what you throw at it.
>>
>>10691860
the leather will look like shit after a year or two and you will wish you saved the money and invested in the nicer jacket. Go out and get a job and save money and you could buy a nice jacket in a few months
>>
>>10692013
>>10691907
>>10691898

Have obviously never owned a leather jacket

Op lambskin leather looks GOAT but is very soft and is easily rekt

Cowhide is tough and durable but stiff as fuck very uncomfortable reserved for bikers punk Goth kids and the like

Unless you are going for sons of anarchy look get lambskin in brown as black will always look like Shit and never match with anything.

These guys don't really know what they are talking about concerning quality because lambskin is so easily damaged you are really only paying for fit, brand name and liner. If you want a comfortable liner you need 100% cotton as polyester is itchy and will make you sweat

For fits Ralph Lauren is good for white folks with long arms, so is calvin Klein. Coach is good for euros and metros Eddie Bauer Nautica etc for mall tier members only for vintage fit

Stay away from leather coats usually have awkward buttons bombers are cool and easier to pull off than flight jackets but those two are the major styles with pink (lots of zippers) in close third

Leather jackets go on eBay from between 10 and 300 bucks for a nice one so just watch a cheap auction and try to snipe for sick copps
>>
>>10692042
implying your only two choices are lambskin or cowhide. Fucking lol at this pleb advice.

>get lambskin in brown as black will always look like Shit and never match with anything.

lmao
>>
>>10692074

Okay what else is there then?
>>
File: tumblr_my2iytITKl1qb49x3o1_1280.jpg (180KB, 952x1428px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_my2iytITKl1qb49x3o1_1280.jpg
180KB, 952x1428px
>>10692088
>>
>>10691766
Pretty sure getting a leather Jacket is a bad idea.It will either; get ruined, get sold, get a lot of hate or just make you look like a dick.
>>
>>10692149

Yeah...no I don't think IRL that would look so cool man
>>
>>10692162
You could say the same thing about literally anything, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>10691766
I bought a faux leather one for $100 something for them holiday sales and I love it.

People don't care usually care if it's fake or not. Just be prepared for it to crack and stuff later on
>>
>>10693171
no I don't think you can actually, either your butthurt over muh precious investment or you have never actually owned one
>>
>>10694624
"Don't buy a leather jacket it could get ruined"
"Don't buy a phone the screen could break"
"Don't buy a car you'll just sell it"
"Don't buy a house someone could break in"

nope you're right, can't say that about anything at all
>>
What leather jacket does bobby briggs use in twin peaks?
>>
The vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority is too poor to afford a good looking one. Leather jackets are the only garment that look like utter fucking shit until youre willing to spend like 1.5k on one.

A shitty fused blazer can still look on point if you have sculpted body. Shitty jeans look good until you washed them a dozen times. But leather jackets? They simply look like fucking ass unless you spent a fortune. The leather looks bad, the grain looks bad, the cut looks bad, the size of the pieces looks bad and so on.

There is no 'good looking leather jacket for cheap'. They dont exist so stop fooling yourself into believing that they do. So upgrading to a leather jacket from a hoodie is retarded. Because if you werent willing to spend money for proper clothes before, you sure as hell wont be willing to spend the necessary amount on a leather jacket.
>>
>>10695160
not op here but what brand would you recommend for a good leather jacket ?
>>
>>10695180
There is no brand to recommend. It completely depends on what youre looking for.

If you want a sleek and somewhat high fashion style you will have to buy something like SLP. Not because of the quality of the leather but because of the cut and ridiculously well designed and placed details.

If youre looking for a more conservative look then you should probably take a look at brands like Real McCoys. I dont often talk good about American brands but their leather really is of great quality. Cuts might not be my taste but they seems to make the right choices regarding detailing.

Apart from that you have the usual suspects. Bottega Veneta, Loro Piana, Brioni and so on. For certain looks you need to buy certain styles (high fashion styles for example). People make the mistake and think that a leather jacket is something that they can simply buy and wear. An everyday item they can get for cheap. But thats not the case. A leather jacket is a wardrobes highlight that just adds to the rest. If you want something clean and simple that requires nothing else to work then get a peacoat, overcoat, parker, down jacket whatever. Leather jackets need to be expensive or else they look like fucking ass. And if youre not willing to spend that then do yourself a favour and dont get one. You simply wont look good.

Ok, let me rephrase that: you might look good in the eyes of your mothers or your fashion illiterate friends, but hardly anyone with a shred of taste. It doesnt even have much to do with yourself. Leather jackets are so expensive because the best leather has certain qualities and the best jackets consists of ONLY A FEW BIG PIECES of those leathers. Cheap ones usually consist of way smaller pieces, which results in more stitches, which results in a less cleaner looks, which results in a waste of money.
>>
>>10695228
thanks for the insight anon
>>
File: fate.jpg (104KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
fate.jpg
104KB, 803x688px
>>10692149
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah holy shit
>>
File: 13.jpg (106KB, 513x647px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
106KB, 513x647px
Just get a decently fitting black one.
Don't cheap out on the leather.
>>
>>10695378
>that stitching on top of the biceps
>that double beck stitching
>that unnecessary hip stitching
>dont cheap out on the leather
Bru
>>
>>10695386
What i meant was don't get shitty H&M leather for 100$.
>>
>>10693283
they care, but they just dont tell you
>>
>>10695386
What's your opinion on Schott and Perfecto style leather jackets?
>>
File: 100014206503000_2.jpg (104KB, 1122x1536px) Image search: [Google]
100014206503000_2.jpg
104KB, 1122x1536px
>>10691836
>Dont buy a leather jacket that retails for less than $700.
>>10695160
>Leather jackets are the only garment that look like utter fucking shit until youre willing to spend like 1.5k on one.
>>10695228
>Leather jackets need to be expensive or else they look like fucking ass.

So I recently bought my first leather jacket. It's from Strellson and made of goat skin. Went on sale from 350€ to 250€.

Did I fuck up? Will it look like shit in a year from now or what? I thought Strellson had a good rep for their jackets and I heard goat looks better with age.
>>
>>10696182
Personally I wouldn't but a leather that isn't high fashion and slim fitted. The cut on that jacket is bad and the material looks poor
>>
>>10692042
You have the audacity to say other people don't know what they're doing and then suggest eBay as a venue for buying a jacket?

I'll bet you get suits at JC penney's.
>>
File: bla.jpg (63KB, 711x907px) Image search: [Google]
bla.jpg
63KB, 711x907px
>>10696220
It actually looks like ass on that picture for some reason and is worn by a skinny guy. I'm pretty broad-shouldered and it fits me okay. Anyway, for 250 no damage is done, even if it falls apart.

But am I (as a pleb) to recognise a good quality jacket in a store? I was under the impression that even the high priced jackets looked practically the same and they were even made in fucking Turkey, while mine was made in Switzerland at least. Any hints what to look for, apart from price tag? Can you post a pic of a good quality racer?
>>
>>10696354
I'm on my mobile so I don't have pics on me, but that pic does look better than the first one you posted. For 250 I think it's good.

Obviously there are many types of leather and many variables for jacket quality. first look at types of leather, then at the production of the jacket itself, the fit is most important.

I've seen pics of expensive jackets that looked worse than pleather jackets, the fit in the shoulder is most important and I think a slim fit jacket will always look better than one with a classic cut.

But for leather quality itself the best you can do is research on your own for specifically what you look for in a jacket in terms of quality, cut, and any distressing or finish you want.

CCP jackets made from the same type of leather as schott ones will look entirely different but have a similar feel.
>>
File: Screenshot_20151209-152153.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151209-152153.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Guys, I'm in a bit of predicament. I'm hoping to purchase my first leather jacket. I'm eyeing this acne Gibson jacket in eBay for £500. Any experience with sizing??
>>
File: Leather.png (2MB, 943x916px) Image search: [Google]
Leather.png
2MB, 943x916px
what's the easiest way to break into a leather jacket
i have this 1968 G-1 Leather Flight Jacket,presumably cowhide
>>
>>10692042
for those lurking, and thinking about buying leather: do not listen to this post
>>
>>10695228
this is an insightful post
>>
now that people are actually talking about leather jackets...

Can someone recommend me a jacket similar to the SLP one for ~$1000?
>>
>>10698020

Always ask the seller questions and for extra pictures. There are lots of great, honest sellers out there that will be happy to assist you.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (38KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
38KB, 1280x720px
hey, i heard about this nice korean leather garment company
the name's falcon or something.
>>
File: 11243538_5978734_1000.jpg (69KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
11243538_5978734_1000.jpg
69KB, 1000x1334px
What do you think about this one here?
http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/dolce-gabbana-zipped-jacket-item-11243538.aspx?storeid=9475&ffref=lp_pic_8_7_

I'm looking for a sleek/simple racer with a slim fit and not too much fancy stuff dangling for everyday wear.
>>
File: tumblr_nvvsw8ZXY71u6a7kto1_1280.jpg (545KB, 1154x1500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvvsw8ZXY71u6a7kto1_1280.jpg
545KB, 1154x1500px
>>10698037
bump
>>
>>10698177
Sandro has one that's fairly similar
>>
>>10698475
those look nice. But the SLP-lookalike is sold out everywhere
>>
>>10699458
My god... Why does everyone think they are "slp" jackets. That style was invented by schott nyc before yves saint laurent was even born. My god... This board
>>
>>10700336
Where does one even begin with a post like this? Between the "My god..." superiority complex and the downright wrong information I just don't know where to begin.

(1) Schott did not invent the double rider jacket. They merely popularized it. (2) the SLP jacket is literally NOTHING like a Schott Perfecto. The material is almost always different, the build quality is vastly superior, and most important the fits of the two jacket are nothing alike. Its like comparing a porche to an SUV. When people say "slp jacket" they want the slim, above the waist, soft lambskin fashion statement. When people say they want a Schott Perfecto, they really want a functional, resilient jacket that will aid and protect them while riding a motorcycle.

>My god... This board
leave
>>
>>10691803
What the fuck does that even mean?
"Don't replace some piece of shit piece of clothing you've been using in place of a coat for a real, big boy coat!"
Sometimes you kids try so hard to be edgy that it doesn't even kind of make sense
>>
>>10695160
Is this some dick wagging contest?
>don't spend less than $400 on it!
>NO TRUE LEATHERHEADS KNOW ANYTHING BELOW $700 IS SHIT
>actually if you spend anything below $1,500 you are an autistic plen
What the fuck
>>
>>10696182
Looks good
>>
>>10701072
It means that OP probably doesn't have a supporting wardrobe and the jacket will probably look out of place.
>>
File: middle_1326286055.jpg (116KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
middle_1326286055.jpg
116KB, 400x533px
General opinion on Schott? They seem to be extremely popular in Japan.

What I really want is a good quality, not too flimsy jacket in cafe racer style. I'm trying on the 641 this weekend (pic related) because I heard it's more slim around the waist, which is also my main focus. It's surprisingly hard to find a good cafe racer that is tailored towards slim guys.
>>
File: rapist back.jpg (82KB, 762x1100px) Image search: [Google]
rapist back.jpg
82KB, 762x1100px
>>10702062
I'm 6'3 with slim waist and broad shoulders. Hoping for it to fit somewhat like this. Also dat single piece back.
>>
>>10701083
>supprting wardrobe
only thing you need is white T-Shirt and a jeans.
>>
>>10695441
no they don't care
>>
>>10702062
Schott is a trusted and reputable leather brand, been around forever. Good quality but not the best, great first leather jacket for sure.
>>
>>10701077
You can find a nice, slim fitted double rider leather jacket for 500. BLK DENIM sells them for around 400-500
They fit good and look good. Imo the only jacket worth buying that's under 1k.

If you want one that's unique/top of the line prepare to spend more than 1k. Simple as that.

Buying a BLK DENIM DR is like buying a burger from five guys, relatively cheap, delicious, and serves the function.

Buying a SLP, Rick, CCP, etc is like going to a five star restaurant.
>>
>>10703042
BLK DNMs basic double rider costs $1k new. 400-500 secondhand definitely.
>>
>>10701067
Schott literally invented the leather jacket as it's known, and their jackets are just as well put together as SLP, if not better.

Neither of them are actually functional motorcycle jackets because they don't have Kevlar. You don't ride, so please don't talk like you have any idea what it is you're talking about.
>>
>>10703042
Although the leather from BLK DNM is great, I find their sleeves to always be too long.
>>
I'm thinking of buying this one.
>>
>>10698037
Hellllp. Why is it so hard to find similar styles?
>>
File: mtnDhV4ByCg.jpg (37KB, 468x494px) Image search: [Google]
mtnDhV4ByCg.jpg
37KB, 468x494px
w2c smting like this?
>>
>>10692149
Dragonskin?
>>
Just don't get fake leather for the love of fuck

Not unless you're going for that "I made this jacket out of my mums spare couch material" look
>>
>>10704472

>when will they learn

I'd hate to see you in a RIck.
>>
>>10704591

I dislike the stamped branding.
>>
>>10704591
>>10707169
branding is subtle enough
I don´t like the collar and the wrist things though
>>10696182
this one´s way better
>>
>>10707168
I mean if that's the look you're going for then fine. I recently returned my BLK DNM 5 because I realized that look just wasn't for me.
>>
>>10691766
You should really ask yourself do you REALLY want a leather jacket or just a jacket that doesn't look like shit. There are alot of jackets in the same style that are not leather and are more practical, wearable, better value ex.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.