[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any machining/steel/factory/assembly line experience?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: P_20160525_022822.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160525_022822.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Anyone have any machining/steel/factory/assembly line experience?

I found an entire dumpster of these and don't know what they are. Seem to be at least 5lbs and around 8 inches long each, and smell and feel like solid steel.

If anyone has information on these it would be much appreciated, I'm curious but don't know what to search online.
>>
>>998418
They sort of look like some kind of shafting, like an unfinished PTO
>>
File: P_20160525_024429.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160525_024429.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Another picture, Altoids for scale
>>
File: P_20160525_024442.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160525_024442.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here's one of the top, has a sharpied on 'x' marking on the end.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 750x389px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 750x389px
Probably some sort of pan head rivet.

http://www.sapphireproducts.co.uk/pan.htm
>>
Scrap metal
>>
>>998418
They are rivets dude.
>>
>>998445
>>998449

I'd doubt they are rivets. The shaft is made up of different ODs. They wouldn't be required on a rivet even of that size.

They're also allow, rivets of that size would be heat fitted not pressed.
>>
>>998453
All rivets are pressed, hot or cold.
http://youtu.be/Ncgq6OPmY4o
>>
Could be rejected parts.
>>
>>998418
Not a general real item. Probably a very specific type of manufacturing process
>>
>>998455

My typo would have made what I said unclear.

By the look of the surface they are alloy, so wouldn't be heat pressed (likes ferrous metal), rather cold pressed but something of that size would unlikely be cold pressed.

I'm aware of the operation process during riveting.
>>
Gearbox input shafts maybe
>>
>>998418
why on earth would they throw them out though....
>>
>>998465
Mold faults, out of tolerances, production of the part requiring those has ended, etc.

Scrap iron is worth something like $100 per ton, which isn't worth the hassle for many companies.
>>
They're self-sealing stem bolts.
>>
Looks like the things need to be turned... whatever they are.
>>
damn. Wonder how hard they are (as in rockwell) - if they're not mild steel I know a load of armourers who would round off the "head" area and make them into stakes for forming armour over.

I would ask for one, but postage would be a bitch.
>>
pinion gears, pre machined
>>
>>998638
I'd imagine they would have been cast rather than machined.
>>
>>998468
WASTEFUL!
>>
>>998638
I'm sure you're correct
>>
File: ring&pinion.jpg (221KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ring&pinion.jpg
221KB, 1500x1500px
>>998418
Those are blank pinion gears for an automotive differential. Not sure if it's good for much, but it's really high quality steel
>>
>>998421
I guess the X is to mark those that don't pass QC.

I have no way of knowing if they test it with ultrasound or optical. If its a pinion gear, I suppose it would be some kind of really high precision camera or similar. Looks like they make a lot of them, if that is within norms of failed QC

>but also pretty bad if they can't perfect their process.
>>
>>998822
This would make a lot of sense, I'm in an extremely automotive area where 60% of the companies around here are auto-related. Thanks for the info!

Now the question... can I do anything with them? And are they worth scrapping for money?
>>
>>998950
Lot of diffs use some fairly high grade alloy steels which aren't cheap- 'which' steel itself is kind of hard to say though.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.