[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/ I'm hoping to paint up some weights I got off craigslist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 20160524_141808.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160524_141808.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
Hi /diy/ I'm hoping to paint up some weights I got off craigslist they're a little beat up and have some rust on them. Do I need to do anything special to prep them beyond cleaning them off or do those rust paints really work and I can just paint over it?

Pic related
>>
>>998218
No rust paints dont work
use a wire wheel or a wire brush and remove all the rust before you paint.
>>
>>998218
You can do almost anything with the power of flex seal!
>>
Buy a small tin of Por15, a pack of cheap brushes, and wire wheel the rust off. Then clean the weights really well, let dry and then brush the Por15 on. They'll look brand new and never rust again.
>>
>>998243
>recommending por15 snake oil when its literally just some light surface rust
>>
Wire brush and hammer paint will make it good as new
>>
Just put mineral oil on it. Wire brush won't keep the rust from coming back, and can cut grooves that rust will spread to. If that's some anodized coating to prevent further rust you'll just take it off and allow for more rust.

Mineral oil, on the other hand, helps keep oxygen out, so it'll slow the rust if not put it on hold altogether. Once something starts rusting it's going to keep rusting if there's even a small amount leftover.

And mineral oil is food safe, which is good because hands touch weights and your mouth frequently when you're working out.

If you don't like my idea, try a pressure washer before a wire brush, it could remove the rust without creating the little grooves. I had luck with a car wash pressure hose on an old engine that was rusted to hell. I didn't believe it would work til the old timer across the street told me that's what they did at his shop back in the day.
>>
>>998320
>a wire wheel "creating little grooves" in a fucking cast iron weight.

You have obviously never worked with cast iron, or wire wheels.
>>
>>998218
Clean them to get all the oils off let dry. Go ahead and remove the heavier rust with a wire brush then liberally brush on some Jasco Prep and Primer or equivalent rust converter. I've tried Por15 and didn't care for it but that's just me.
Next day the rust should of turned black if not do it again. Then paint it. Flex Seal sounds like a good choice.
>>
>>998320
>put a bunch of oil on an awkward to grip and heavy item

>after transferring the oiled up item to the barbell, proceed to lift the lubed-up barbell over your head with oily hands.

3 sets of 8-10 reps or until failure
>>
Take a paint brush, dip it in vinegar, brush it on the rusty areas and leave it overnight.

The vinegar should have neutralized the rust.
A brass wire brush will take care of the rest.

Wipe everything clean.

Now take a paint brush and brush some linseed oil on the weights. This helps protect any bare metal from corroding.
Put on a second coat when dry. Apply more linseed oil every 6 months to a year.

If you can get the weights warm before brushing it should both penetrate better and dry faster.
>>
Honestly, there's no reason to even deal with that rust beyond just a few strokes of a wire brush + WD-40.
>>
>>998218

Op you can do this:
>>1000534
to clean the metal, then use a metal primer or a metal paint and primer in one. Use pic related afterward to make it look like the weight or use another metal oil based paint.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-31-13-22-28.png (242KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-31-13-22-28.png
242KB, 720x1280px
>>
>>998509
this
wire brush, rust converter, prime it and coat it (enamel)
>>
OP here I wire those fuckers, washed em down and hit them with some ospho. Friend told me to use that. Gonna prime tomorrow
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.