[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 74

File: stepImage_20090622150024.jpg (17KB, 384x259px) Image search: [Google]
stepImage_20090622150024.jpg
17KB, 384x259px
Stupid question
I've got one of these portable ACs in my office, and the exhaust tube goes up to the ceiling
So when it's running, the tube is radiating a quite a bit of heat.
I was wondering what's the best way to insulate it
>>
Probably pipe insulation, if you can find it in the right diameter.
>>
>>998140
Best way to insulate an air duct is just wrap it with foam or other types of insulation, but tobehonest just wrap it with cardboard with some duct tape will help a lot since it is not a huge issue anyway

(they are used in starbucks coffee to hold a hot cup so they works)
>>
What do with a cherry log that's 1m long and 20-30cm in diameter? Basicaly i need ideas. Google mostly gives me chairs and benches and i have no need for those. My tools are limited to chainsaw ( could be used to rip that bitch), el. plane,circular and jigsaw and a lot of hand tools. I guess i could have it planed somewhere nearby but i could go the hard route with a hand plane/scraper and a shitload of sanding. God i just love sanding. Don't you?
>>
>>998175
Another thing i forgot about and actually needed could be put in the stupid questions category. I wanted to get into woodburning for a while now since i'm good with art. I could get a woodburning pen but i have a soldering gun i got a long time ago for free. The problem is that the fucker is gun shaped so it's rather hard to draw with it. Could i make somethin that would allow me to grip it closer to the tip so i have more control. What material could i use that could resist the heat and be at least somewhat shaped so i can grip that gun where i shouldn't be gripping it?
>>
>>998175
>chainsaw
>>
File: Insulated_Flexible_Duct.jpg (11KB, 250x139px) Image search: [Google]
Insulated_Flexible_Duct.jpg
11KB, 250x139px
>>
I need some good quality seamless and perfectly straight stainless steel tubes, even better if they're polished, I would order them from the internet, but I'm afraid they can be easily bent during transport, even a fraction of a milliliter off shape could ruin it for me.
I've tried an aeromodelism store, but they only had aluminum and brass tubes.
I'm looking for an inner diameter of 4 to 5mm and a length of around 30 to 50 cm, the thicker the better.
>>
>>998353
Go to your university and ask at the Mechanical engineering labs, peharps they know or at least know someone who did a task/work/thesis using one of those. Heck they even may have it themselves.
>>
File: Planetes29.jpg (16KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Planetes29.jpg
16KB, 400x240px
>>998175
make a bow nigga
>>
File: Tremolo_LND150_ver5.jpg (136KB, 1023x1009px) Image search: [Google]
Tremolo_LND150_ver5.jpg
136KB, 1023x1009px
so i built this oscillator to put in my amp to vary the bias on the output tubes for a tremolo effect. it works but it make a thumping sound when the depth/intensity is turned up really high. i looked at it on the o-scope and the top half of the waveform is kinda janky, like almost a triangle wave, whereas the bottom half is a beautiful sine wave. will putting a cap to ground from where the .1 cap meets the two 47k resistors smooth this out maybe and maybe get rid of the thump?
>>
>>998357
Thanks, I'll try that, hopefully it won't be terribly expensive, I don't need precision down to the micron, just a straight tube, straight enough to evenly roll on a glass table, I'll ask my local hardware store first though.
>>
>>998221
Not sure if this is wrong, but it sort of feels like it would be bad to insulate a soldering gun like that. Is the barrel supposed to be able to radiate heat?
>>
>>998362
Depends on what you actually mean, but you could try:
- Increasing the 220k resistor on top of the depth pot or reducing the pot value. This directly reduces the maximum depth to (probably) non-thumping value.
- Increase the 470R resistor on LND150's source. This reduces the tremolo oscillator's output directly and quite likely makes the output more sine-like.

I'm assuming the thumping sound you noticed is because V3 gets overdriven, not because the tremolo waveform is shit. In principle you could also try changing the input tube or adjust its biasing.
>>
Having moved from 240v land to 110v land, how can I rig up a 240v kettle to boil water?

By the time the fucking kettle boils, I've given up on the idea of having a cup of tea, it really does take an age longer
>>
>>998586
Wait, how fast do 240v kettles boil and are you filling them full?

My electric kettle boils 2 cups of water in about 1-2 min tops.
>>
>>998140
>Stupid question
>I've got one of these portable ACs in my office, and the exhaust tube goes up to the ceiling
>So when it's running, the tube is radiating a quite a bit of heat.
>I was wondering what's the best way to insulate it
One easy and cheap way to insulate it is to wrap it with some pieces of a space blanket (survival blanket). This is a thin piece of plastic that is coated with either aluminum or gold. The gold ones would reflect heat slightly better than the silver ones if you have a choice, but most places just have the silver ones and the difference is very minor.

>>998353
>I need some good quality seamless and perfectly straight stainless steel tubes, even better if they're polished, I would order them from the internet, but I'm afraid they can be easily bent during transport, even a fraction of a milliliter off shape could ruin it for me.
>I've tried an aeromodelism store, but they only had aluminum and brass tubes.
Were their tubes straight? How do you think they got them? (they mail-order them,,,)
>I'm looking for an inner diameter of 4 to 5mm and a length of around 30 to 50 cm, the thicker the better.
I don't know why you need it, but be warned that some kinds of stainless-steel can be very difficult to cut with anything except a grinder. And stainless can chew grinder cut-off wheels up pretty fast too.
>>
>>998586
You don't basically.
If your in America you might take advantage of the voltage between split phase but if you have to ask you aren't competent.
Just have to buy a camping stove
>>
>>998383
I don't know hence why i'm asking in the stupid questions thread. I basicaly need just a few mm of the tip sticking out so i can grip it closer to that tip and have more control than i get from holding it like a gun or holding it like a huge pen a long way from the tip of it.
>>
Why do some people act like masons are hot shit? All their doing is putting down some rocks
>>
>>998598
BRB gonna try it and compare times across the Atlantic
>>
File: 20160525_163736.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160525_163736.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Hi, this thing in the picture is a pipe in my backyard that's just been there since we got the house. According to my mom it's a well pipe and once you get a pump out will run water.

Thoughts on this? What kind of pump would we need? Or does it not even work?
>>
File: IMG_20160525_165332958.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160525_165332958.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
My receiver will not time beyond 102 MHz if I use the knob on the front. If I turn the sheave connected to the tuning capacitor, it turns with some force required to get past 102, but past that it moves normally. It will also turn back normally, but then it won't go past 102 again.
>>
>>998682
Stick your face on it and inhale really hard to see if a bunch of water gets all up in your face.

But seriously, if the rest of your house is on city water it's definitely something worth looking into. Basically free water. All you have to do is pay for the pump. The condition of the well should be on a disclosure form from when you bought the house. Could be capped for legal reasons and you aren't allowed to uncap it. Could be in perfectly good working order and ready for a pump. Could be filled with deadly deadly poison stuff.
>>
>>998140
I want to coat half a log douglas with epoxy, with bark and all.

Is there a minimum thickness you need to slap epoxy on?
Is it possible to rub epoxy in with a towel or will this not seal properly?
>>
>>998691
Shit, I didn't even ask a question. It also turns using the tuning knob if I give it some speed.

What should I do to fix it?
>>
>>998703
Yeah, we don't have a disclosure and not anymore. And yeah we're on city water, I'm in the middle of brooklyn.
I don't think it's capped for legal reasons, the people that lived here before apparently used to have a whole vineyard in the backyard for making wine, so I think it's likely they used the well for it. Probably a good idea to also mention that we've had this house now since 1998. So almost 20 years.

Any clue what kind of pump for it though? Searching for well pump brings up a lot of different stuff, and I honestly have no clue how this would work.
>>
>>998725
The type of pump you will need depends on there well. There are a lot that will probably work, if the well isn't dry or capped off, or a number of other things that could wreck it. Might be worth having a well inspector come take a look at it. Then be sure to keep a copy of whatever he says, so you can use it when you sell the house. Even if you don't decide to get a pump for it.
>>
File: guimockup.jpg (309KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
guimockup.jpg
309KB, 1920x1080px
>How long until e-ink will be affordable to put into everyday projects?

I hate lcd and led screens, just things that emit light in general (except for VFD for some reason.
>>
>>998598
2.22 minutes in euro land for a litre of water.

>>998616
Ok thanks, I thought as much. Definitely not going to go fucking with things like that. Was hoping there would be ovens or something that came with a 220v outlet - I heard that they're wired with two in-wires
>>
>>999010
Why not just buy a damn 120V kettle? Are Eurocucks not smart enough to realize power is what heats water, and not volts?
>>
>>998970
>How long until e-ink will be affordable to put into everyday projects?
the cheapest I have seen is the replacement nook 6" screens on aliexpress for ~$15
these just end in a flat conductor cable tho, there's no driver board and I dunno whats involved in driving them
>>
>>999038
Thanks for your input dipshit. I have a yankee kettle and NEWSFLASH IT TAKES FOREVER TO BOIL WATER.

Hence my original question.

Also saying eurocuck makes you sound retarded, that word is soo 2015
>>
I have a very nice oak slab, i want to make a table out of it and i was wondering about epoxy.

If i first treat the wood with danish oil, will epoxy still be able to bond with the wood?

I want to use danish oil because it gives a very nice color and i need to coat it with epoxy because i dont want it to be able to move.
>>
File: V__8355.jpg (552KB, 1174x1116px) Image search: [Google]
V__8355.jpg
552KB, 1174x1116px
I just bought this schwinn scooter for $40. Do you think id be able to add a motor to this thing?
>>
>>999176
Well considering you had to ask I'm going to presume you don't have the skills required to conceive the notion of doing it, so no.
>>
>>999176
So I did some of my own damn research and found that there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to. Question is, gas or electric?
>>
>>999190
see
>>999189
>>
>>999190
electric for sure, you can ride it anywhere an no one will ask any questions. if they see/hear gas, they will ask questions about legality/etc. see endless-sphere.com/forums/ for tons info
>>
>>999091
Ok bit of an overreaction, it takes twice as long to boil
>>
I have an old electric typewriter that I got for free after clearing out an old death house. Problem is, the space key locks up the "advance one step" mechanism and shuffles the paper to the end of the margin almost every time I use it, unless I physically hold it back.

Also, the X key just... Fucking pounds on there. It's like a machine gun, tatatatatatatat, whereas the other keys are normal and only trigger once when I hit them.

I've looked around online and save getting an account at some autistic typewriter fan forum and asking there (didnt find any forums), haven't been able to locate any information about my brand/model that lets me request a manual or similar.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of quick and dirty fix? Should I dismantle and clean it and hope that works, can I test it with a multimeter?

Sorry for this torrent of retarded questions. I just really wanna be able to write stuff without having to use a computer, and my portable typewriter is a shit because I have to slam the keys so hard for them to register stain onto the paper well enough.
>>
>>999237
The batteries are sooo fucking expensive though. And the go to shit so fast. Gas would last longer and it would be a fuck of a lot cheaper.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 416x567px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 416x567px
We have a broken trampoline in our backyard that needs to be thrown out. Everything is in tact except for some crucial support legs. What can be made from the salvaged parts?
>>
>>998385
i do not think the str is being driven into clipping as that is not consistent with what i see on the scope (ie no rounding or flattening at the top of the waveform.). I figured a big cap would short some unwanted harmonics to ground and leave me with a beautiful sine wave.

Interestingly I increased the 47k resistor you mentioned to 330k because I was getting only faint effect and a lot of thumping and now there is less thumping (only when the speed and depth are >75%, say, and it is quite faint). I fiddled around a lot with it today with the output voltage divider and swapping cap values to get a speed range I like and it sounds good, except that now it seems to eat up a lot of current that was going to the reverb tube on my amp, for when the trem is up high and the reverb is up high, there is a fizzly sound that definitely is coming from the reverb section. The oscillator is fed from the same node as the reverb tranny. More dicking around tomorrow I suppose.

Your input is appreciated.
>>
>>998970
i am with you here brother. i wouldnt mind of my phone and computer had e-ink screens tbpfwymlf. i dont understand why they refresh so slow but if they refreshed at say 16-24 hz i would use them for everything
>>
>>999307
I was actually recently in a similar situation. You don't happen to need a barb wire fence do you? That's what I did with mine. Used the frame for posts and the springs make a couple of gates. The mat I just use like any other tarp.
>>
>>999299

While concerns regarding expense are valid...

>[they] go to shit so fast

...is outright wrong. Even the no-name Chinese packs covered in duct tape will last quite a while. More reputable batteries will maintain >70% capacity after 2000 cycles.

Gas will definitely be substantially cheaper. For reference, I just "finished" my electric bike yesterday, and the battery (375Wh nominal) alone ran me nearly $200. Keep in mind that I not only got an excellent deal on the cells, but I had to build the actual pack myself and add a BMS + all the little shit that adds up.

At the same time, however, gas will be more maintenance intensive and you're liable to be stopped by the cops more than once. I have no idea what your intended usage pattern is, so I have no idea which you'd be better off with. I went with electric simply because I intend to use my bike as regular transportation to and from work. I don't want to be fucked with small engine maintenance, smell like exhaust fumes, and can't be late because the new guy at the police station (which I go right by, BTW) doesn't know whether it's legal or not. If you're just dicking around now and again and don't care about any of that, there's no reason not to use gas.
>>
File: IMG_4033.jpg (477KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4033.jpg
477KB, 1632x1224px
Does anyone know what this thing is and what the thing circled in red is for? I was house shopping and they were in the bathroom and the kitchen sink.
>>
It's for holding sponges, soap, etc....

No fucking clue about the cross thing
>>
>>999356
So, If I ride the thing, lets say... 4-5 hours a week, the battery wont need to be replaced in a year or so?
>>
>>999359
a tiny orange juicer
>>
>>999364

It shouldn't.

Mind that I should have specified lithium batteries. In all practicality, there's no reason to use lead acid anymore; the only advantage is upfront cost. Lithium cells will perform better in literally every respect and still be cheaper in the long run.

But, again, it still won't be especially cheap.
>>
>>999386
Ok, I think I've made up my mind. I'm gonna save up for a few months and go with electric.
>>
>>999359
It's so your ring doesn't get lost when you take it off! :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 1000x750px
I want to build a desk in the basement. Wonder what I could do to this counter top to make the desk look very executive/receptionist looking? BTW we're remodeling the kitchen and basement so this top is a salvaged part.
>>
How do I frame a wall under an I steel beam in the basement?
>>
File: fuckmyarse.jpg (174KB, 700x1244px) Image search: [Google]
fuckmyarse.jpg
174KB, 700x1244px
What'd be the best way to insulate this from the outside?

Yeah that's duct tape, the plastic shroud is beat to fuck.
>>
>>999664
Use jet fuel to melt the beam. Or cheat and use construction adhesive.

>>999613
I don't think there's anything you can do to make a laminate countertop into an executive style desk.
>>
>>999700
I was thinking about making the bottom out of regular wood and painting everything. I was going to get the Rustoleum marble/granite kit for laminate countertops and make it look like marble surface.

>construction adhesive

Cool, thanks!
>>
>>999664
If its parallel to the beam just friction fit( wedge the upright studs between the top and bottom stud plates) it to the beam.

Construction adhesive can keep it place. Hell even powder actuated nails will go through a steel beam.

If perpendicular just frame the wall with a notch in it
>>
I need help finding a router bit that would work for a project of mine, but I don't know anything about routers.

I want to make more wooden swords for my DnD buddies, but I usually make mine with a hand plane and it takes forever. I was hoping there was some kind of bit that would make a "blade" on a board I run through it, if that makes sense. I could try to draw up a picture in MS paint if that would help, once I get home to my computer. My pops has a router he's said I can use, but I don't know if this kind of bit I'm looking for even exists.
>>
>>999739
>Router = like a drill, but cuts sideways. This is good for the edges of windows, frames around doors, for instance.

It's probably good to make the "edge" of the sword, but you're not really looking for a router, you're looking for an electric planer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSSObGEMkno

Nigger rig this thing to your table if you're insane (enough). It's a terrible idea and works excellently.
>>
>>999739
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=router+bit

Also, just order some online and try your way. Your DnD buddies can chip in a buck fifty each if you can't afford $12 and shipping yourself.
>>
>>999739
You could make a jig to cut a diamond form in a sword blank on a table saw.

Use that four times to get rid of most of the material. Then power sand it to finish up.
>>
>>999167
What kind of epoxy? Why not just use polyurethane?
>>
File: scruffy_second.png (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
scruffy_second.png
48KB, 640x480px
>>998233
you can get that at home depot. I used it for exactly what op needs it for.
>>
>>999176
You could, but there's Inge tiny little problem with it. No chain, which means you'd have to rig something up to drive the wheel.
>>
I'm working on a project that currently has a brushed DC motor. The motor is creating a massive amount of electrical noise and is interfering with the rest of the circuit. I've tested random brushless motors and they work perfectly. My question is where can I find a brushless motor that is the same size as the brushed motor I already have. Google isn't returning anything particularly helpful. The motor needs to fit the following specs:
diameter 24 mm to 30 mm
length preferably 30 mm, no more than 32.
shaft diameter 2 mm (this could potentially vary assuming it comes pre-assembled with a 5.9 mm, 11 tooth gear.
Voltage rating is somewhat negotiable. I'll be running it at a max of 10 V. I'm not terribly concerned about running it past it's voltage rating as long as it isn't going to burn out immediately with light to moderate use (2 hours constant at most.)
Unfortunately I don't know what the rpm rating is on the brushed motor and I don't have an easy way to find out. The only other thing I can add to that is I tried replacing it with a similarly sized motor I gutted from a printer and it ran at about half the speed as the original when I put 10 V across it. I think the printer motor is a stepper motor??? I don't normally into motors.
>>
File: Dynaco-ST70-Tube-Amp-Schematic.png (20KB, 760x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Dynaco-ST70-Tube-Amp-Schematic.png
20KB, 760x1350px
Before I pull the trigger on a fluke 115, does any one have any objections or alternatives?
>>
>>999763
I can just swap it with the back wheel of one of my kids old bikes.
>>
File: AC.png (137KB, 627x512px) Image search: [Google]
AC.png
137KB, 627x512px
This is the only portable AC unit available in my country that has 2 tubes.
But looking at the backside image makes me sceptical. It seems like the outside loop is connected to the inside loop. Anyone here with a similar unit to confirm?
They go under the names
>Klarstein Metrobreeze 12
>Stiebel Eltron ACP 35
>Trotec PAC 3550 PRO
Probably all from the same factory.
>>
File: djawndoawndowajnda.jpg (22KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
djawndoawndowajnda.jpg
22KB, 500x379px
I have a gorgeous oak slab in my shed, i sanded it very very smooth, but it is starting to crack down the middle

If i do as pic related, will this prevent from further breaking apart?
Is there a specific way to do this or is do you just make those things and slap m in there?
>>
>>1000823
If you can get some wood glue in there and clamp it it will hold together. There are also various mechanical ways of keeping it together, your picture being one such way.
>>
File: 63606786.w9X8RsX8._MG_5249.jpg (377KB, 1001x648px) Image search: [Google]
63606786.w9X8RsX8._MG_5249.jpg
377KB, 1001x648px
>>1000823
nah dont do this. your option is to fill and seal. you can't fight timber that wants to tear itself apart.
>>
I have a Whynter dual hose AC unit, supposedly more efficient than the single hose designs because it maintains equilibrium with the outdoor air rather than constantly exhausting hot air outside, which will always draw air from the outside back in because of the negative pressure. I got it because my 'study' was by far the warmest room in the house but I spent the majority of my time there. The HOA forbids window-mounted AC units (and I personally think they shittify the look of any house anyways). So in use I would set the central AC to 82 degrees, while I kept the study at 75 with the Whynter unit and compounded the cooling with a Vornado fan aimed right at my face.

Using it was a nightmare because of how insanely loud it was.

Worse yet, the unit proved so much less efficient than the central AC this whole scheme made my power bills go up.

I found that my best solution was to set the furnace fan to run almost constantly while the AC isn't running, to circulate the air and even out the temperature differences in various parts of the house, while drinking plenty of ice water and always having a fan aimed right at me. The portable AC unit lives in the basement now for occasional dehumidifier duty.
>>
File: 20160525_163744.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160525_163744.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>998730
Well(ha), I measured how deep it is with a long fishing wire and a heavy metal thing. Then I couldn't really tell how wet it was and after some confusion the metal thing got stuck and we had to let it go and it fell in...
But that's besides the point, after that I used a tube and found out that it's about 15 feet deep, and about 4 of that is water. So it means that I'll need a shallow well pump. But how do those even work? It's not particularly clear, I'd have to stick something down the pipe to get the water up, or would I just have to screw something on that cap that your see there? The latter is what I thought would make sense and what I hoped for, but it seems they're not that simple.
>>
File: 81zj85VRUfL._SL1500_.jpg (131KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
81zj85VRUfL._SL1500_.jpg
131KB, 1500x1000px
>>1000840

I dont get how its not that simple?

Well pipe goes into "in" on the pump, your hose or whatever goes to "out" on the pump
>>
File: 81cKX8KAzgL._SL1500_.jpg (173KB, 942x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81cKX8KAzgL._SL1500_.jpg
173KB, 942x1500px
>>1000840
>>1000846

Alternately, one of these would also probably be able to pull ~11 ft of head
>>
>>1000846
>>1000850
Can I make a pump?
>>
>>1000870

yeah but pitcher pumps are only like $50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLiUEq78Q_BhGDpSrtfXsiL5f6-DjvQ5bs&v=j_RqQ3elzNU
>>
File: agregate.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
agregate.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
I want to throw a party (~30 people or so) in the woods with music playing. We're looking to rent a set of speakers (friend knows a guy type of deal) and have some of us DJ-ing.

Will a simple generator such as in pic related be enough to power the speakers, a laptop and some lights? I guess it all comes down to doing the math, but I don't know what the sound system is (yet). I'm just looking for a rough estimate or any advice if anyone has done this sort of thing before.
>>
>>998682
What country/state do you live in?
>>
>>1000599
I am confuse. Does this unit intake, then cool outside air? If yes, that doesn't make sense. It will take a lot more energy to cool hot outside air.

If no, please disregard.
>>
>>1000884
New York city
>>
Can I put a bookcase under a window and above a baseboard heater?

35" from the floor to the bottom of the window
28 1/2" from top of the heater to the bottom of the window
>>
>>1000880
Id probably rent a decent one if the party is sposed to go ahead problemlessly, I were you.

filthy cheap generators and what maybe someones expensive amp(s), its not the best combination - laptop, you maybe only blow the power supply. Also noisy af, and not especially suited to whats prob gonna be 6+ hours constant operation.

Size, depends on amount of watts you need for amps, etc - but you also -need- overhead, also 30 people is guaranteed 15+ wanting to plugin handy chargers and shit. lights, just use leds only, led party light strings, etc. otherwise, too much juice.

Basically, I know you can probably say this about anything, but, the better quality/ bigger the gennie, less hassle you'll have. I really would try and avoid using cheap pos here that may work on paper - this is actually pretty demanding task, you can more or less skimp on everything else, but if the gennies useless, you totally fucked.
>>
>>1000903
Of course! It's only renting so it shouldn't come out too pricy to get a quality one. I def agree with what you're saying. I'll do my research on what's available in my area. Thought about it some more and in the end we should probably try to get a place with a dedicated power supply or somewhere we can run a cable to.
>>
File: bar.jpg (168KB, 800x410px) Image search: [Google]
bar.jpg
168KB, 800x410px
I've got a door-mounted pull up bar like the pic and want to start doing weighted pull ups, but the trim piece the bar rests on creaks a bit with just my weight.

Am I right in assuming there's a piece of solid wood behind the trim that I can run a few screws into? I want to make sure before I put holes in things.
>>
>>1000999
Yup, if constructed to code there'll be a timber running right above the doorway, behind the trim.

t. framer
>>
>>998607
>Were their tubes straight? How do you think they got them? (they mail-order them...)
They probably order in bulk from nearby providers, ordering a pair inside a bubble package increases the chance of receiving them damaged because 2 tubes won't oppose as much resistance ad 50, specially if they come all the way from china.
>>
>>998353
Try McMaster Carr. They ship and their tubes come undamaged. Not sure if you can get that big though.
>>
So I am interested in learning metal working like machining and welding. I already was taught how to be a Plumber by the Army so I am not completely clueless if you throw me in a shop, and I have watched a few rando YouTube videos of guys working on various machining projects. I will like to get a mini lathe and mini mill, as well as some welding equipment one I am ready. I may upgrade to CNC someday if I get the cash, because the technology looks amazing.

My primary question is how do I get started down this path of learning? I'm looking at getting a tabletop style mill in the $6-700 range right now, followed by a lathe of similar price.
>>
>>1001088
If I was you, keep in mind I'm a poorfag though, I'd start by getting either a flux core or stick welder. Neither require gas, which is a huge expense for a DIYer. If you choose flux core, get one that can run MIG too, because you don't wanna have to buy two machines when a lot of them can do both. And if you choose stick, get a stick welder that has AC and DC. A lot of stick welders can be converted to TIG, or hell, a lot of them come with the stuff to make them do tig from the store.

Now, flux core and stick both have the benifits of welding outside and in light winds. Stick is great for welding thick stuff, and is very strong. Plus you can literally burn through paint and rust if the wed doesn't need to be too strong, making it good for artsy fartsy shit and farm repairs. Flux core is better for thinner stuff, because the thinnest you can 'safely' weld with stick is 1/16th inch. And even at that thickness you have to exert a lot of skill to not burn through the metal. Personally, I like stick better though. It's a fun process to run, and there's a huge variety of rods for different metals, plus its cheaper than buying wire.

And of course you're gonna need an angle grinder and possibly a metal chop saw or plasma cutter too.

And the reason I say get a welder first, is because you can get a good brand welder all day on CL for 200$ and then cut all your stuff by hand until you get to the point that you need more accurate cuts and all.
>>
I'm recycling my notebooks after finishing my degree. Does anyone know what to o with a handful of notebook springs?

Anything goes.
>>
>>1001208
Also, are SIM cards good for anything once you've switched mobile providers?

What about older phones, and I mean non smart phones. What could I use those for? Are they worth anything?
>>
>>1001208
>anything goes
make a urethral sound, use it on yourself :^)
on a serious note, it makes decent mechanic's wire.
>>
>>1001219
>mechanic's wire.
Yeah, I thought of that one. And I'm under 30, so of course I've thought about sticking it in my peehole.
>>
My dog partially toppled a wall today (he always 'tackled' it when rushing to look over it and bark at strangers). It came out in two pieces.

I have zero experience regarding brick laying, but I have concrete and and pic related (what's this called even?). I'm googling but one of the top results was wikihow, so I thought I'd ask here before creating mustard gas and killing my parents and the neighbors in the process.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1000823
>I have a gorgeous oak slab in my shed, i sanded it very very smooth, but it is starting to crack down the middle
>If i do as pic related, will this prevent from further breaking apart?
Thick and big wood tends to do this. The thicker and bigger the piece is, the more likely it is to do it. There is no way to stop it as it is.

Annoying fact: wood expands and contracts with changes in atmospheric humidity. This is what makes it warp and crack. The only way around this is to cut thin layers and glue them together in alternating directions--which is what laminate and plywood is. If you had a HUGE tree and tried to cut a 3/4" slice from it that was 4 x 8 feet, it would NEVER stay flat and not crack. This is why they don't sell pieces of wood like that.

Ideally what you would do is saw off a thin/facing piece, like 1/4" inch thick or less, and then glue that down to a sheet of higher-grade plywood (such as marine grade plywood). The top will still look nice when finished, and it won't warp or crack. You would be basically making your own laminate from it.
>>
File: SayMyName.jpg (18KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SayMyName.jpg
18KB, 640x480px
>>1001314
Yes, I forgot the pic. Don't act all surprised.
>>
>>998140
I wrapped mine with a thick blanket. Works well.
>>
>>1000880
>I want to throw a party (~30 people or so) in the woods with music playing. We're looking to rent a set of speakers (friend knows a guy type of deal) and have some of us DJ-ing.
>Will a simple generator such as in pic related be enough to power the speakers, a laptop and some lights?
Open-frame generators are noisy as fuck, don't even try it. You won't like it.

What you need is a few large batteries (car batteries would work but ebike batteries might do better) LED lighting and a QUIET generator in case the car batteries can't keep up.

I dunno what it is right now, but for a long time the quietest small generators around were the Honda EU2000i ones. $1000 for 900 watts, which is way more expensive than the China brands, but the Hondas run quite a bit quieter.
>>
>>1001325
It's a trowel. Laying brick is pretty easy, the hard part is making it look nice.
>>
File: 48197069.jpg (54KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
48197069.jpg
54KB, 640x360px
Are there any diy websites like instructables that aren't full of women gluing glitter to things and calling it "DIY"?
>>
>>999241
Same watts would actually take the same time. 110v 15A would heat as fast as 220v 7.5a in theory. Now if captain can't wait 2 minutes for hot water has a 240v 30A kettle....I guess he could hook it up where his range is assuming it's electric not gas...depends on area.
>>
>>1001434
Good to hear that.
>>
>>1001543
Hackaday.io is pretty good.
>>
File: Float.jpg (18KB, 619x434px) Image search: [Google]
Float.jpg
18KB, 619x434px
>>1001314
>>1001325
>>1001434
Will a rusty float serve? The only one I've been able to find is rusted to the bone.
>>
>>1001331
Thank you for the reccomendation!
>>
File: cat-1513[1].jpg (60KB, 1011x405px) Image search: [Google]
cat-1513[1].jpg
60KB, 1011x405px
>>999359
>>999494 isn't even fuckin' with ya.
>>
What kind of fastener would be best to wall mount a surge protector? I've heard double sided tape works but I don't trust adhesives
>>
>>1002034
they often have built in places to hang them on nails or screws.
>>
>>1002037
I know
I was asking what type of screw or nail would be best, some have heads that are too thick
>>
looking for small metal racks like for toaster oven size. I want to build a solar dehydrator and don't know if the plastic ones will hold it stably. Any other suggestions i can use for food safe metal
>>
>>1002050
Literally bring your surge protector block thingy to the store and ask to find a screw with a head that matches.

jesus, youd have gone to the HW store at any rate, why you gotta make this into some stupid thing when it could have been easy?
>>
>>999790
You probably won't find objections to a fluke on this board.
>>
>>1000599

the "intake" doesn't go into the unit at all, it's just to replace the hot air that gets pumped outside from the room and prevent doors slamming shut etc from the pressure difference
>>
File: 20160601_041733.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160601_041733.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
hey guys, i recently bought a dremel to cut plastic and wood. i have no knowledge of any tools, really. i was wondering if you guys could tell me what each bit does in pic related?
>>
>>1002214
also, if i were to try to make something like this out of wood, would #3 (pic related in quoted post) work for drilling through solid wood?
what wood would you recommend?
how do i make it look "nice and shiny?" is that through sanding or polishing?

what accessory would be best for cutting plastic?
>>
File: 20160601_043705.jpg (504KB, 3714x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20160601_043705.jpg
504KB, 3714x1125px
>>1002215
forgot pic
>>
>>1002216
What's it for? Just buy thin sheets of wood and glue them together like the cardboard is. Dremels are shit they don't have any torque, I know, I bought one.
>>
File: 2928734.jpg (161KB, 256x544px) Image search: [Google]
2928734.jpg
161KB, 256x544px
How can I remove the printing on this without removing the paint along with it? Tried isopropyl and a cotton tip.

Is it pad printing or what? Ink? paint?
>>
>>1002230
a fucking sharpie
>>
Brand new /diy/er here, I have no tools at all (aside from an around-the-house toolkit I bought years ago) for any of my future projects (which hopefully will include casting aluminum and possibly lead, blacksmithing, some woodworking, gardening and landscaping as well as beekeeping)
I was wondering if there's any comprehensive guide to babby's first hand tools for various uses? There's a flea market near me with a large assortment of old hammers, axes, saws and the like that would need restoring, but I'd prefer to get the experience with those before I buy a big name brand tool set.
>>
>>1002215
>how do i make it look "nice and shiny?" is that through sanding or polishing?
Sanding to smooth out the rough form then polishing and applying a lacquer or sealant of some kind, it largely depends on what you're using the wood for, but mineral oil and boiled lynseed is common, along with a whole slew of other commercial finishing varnishes.
>>
Is cookery allowed and encouraged here? >>>/ck/ has become a cesspit and, if it's permissable according to rules and board culture, I'd like to see some /diy/ cooking as well as share some of my own.
>>
>>1002487
> >>>/ck/ has become a cesspit
Can you link to some examples? I wonder how fucked up has a specific board to be in order to get so far from there.
>>
File: JoeyHappy.gif (3MB, 416x213px) Image search: [Google]
JoeyHappy.gif
3MB, 416x213px
>>1002487
/ck/ is best board
>>
>>1002499
It's full of "is this a meme?" and "is that a meme?" 'go 'za (Chicago deep-dish pizza, which is used as a trolling technique) and fast food/dinner kit (like instant ramen noodles) discussion ad infinitum. People who actually cook are at best ignored or shunned.

I've been on /ck/ daily for the past week and I've noticed not a single other person give out clear-cut recipes or discuss the benefits and detractions from using method X vs method Y when preparing a dish and only a handful have given out general guidelines on cooking at all.

And speaking of cooking: there is no cooking shown. None. Look through the whole board and you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone posting anything they've actually cooked. It's just stock photo after stock photo.
There are, out of 150 open threads right now, only five showcasing the OP's own handy work. And they're each trailing abysmally behind the troll threads and arguments over fast food and bad shit like that.

And the archive is even worse.
>>
>>1002516
My bff told me it was bad, but holy shit. Have you tried creating a general for actual cooking? Maybe some lurkers will join you if you do so.
>>
>>1001088
Go on craigslist, find the largest lathe/mill you can accomodate in your budget. I bought a $300 mini-lathe, and then a $600 middle size lathe(11in x 40in). Didn't bother with a benchtop mill, with a middle size lathe you can do those operations. I went ahead and picked up a large horizontal mill for $200 from the scrapyard, not working, currently working on fixing it up, should be another 200-300$ before it is running. Buy the biggest equipment you can afford/live with, or you will be limited in what you can do.
>>
>>1002521
Yes, several times. Usually, it goes mostly ignored, never above 25 replies before pruning to the archive. A few times, the threads devolve into name-calling and trolling for reasons beyond my comprehension. The only successful thread I made, which went over 300 replies and pruned naturally due to autosage, was "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" where I posted pictures of what I cooked/bought to eat that day and a description of the meal, encouraging others to do the same.
In that thread, people asked for recipes from each other according to the pics they say and the descriptions they read.

Someone else continued it, even saving my picture, but the thread eventually died due to lack of participation.
Last year, I tried to promote OC by suggesting theme meals IE where anyone posting pictures should post a meal that followed a theme ingredient, theme food type (like chicken sandwich or fruit pie) or culturally-inspired cuisine theme (Japanese-inspired, Italian-inspired etc). After a week of trying to keep it going with little to no participation, I just let it die.
It was sad.

Look, I'm no chef or professional. I like to cook and see what other people are cooking as well as give and get advice on how/what to cook.
But that just doesn't seem possible on /ck/ right now because very few people are interested in cooking and would rather argue over whether Papa John's or Pizza Hut has the worst pizza.

Pic related is a loaf of bread I baked last year and posted to /ck/ for the chicken sandwich themed thread.
>>
>1002230

use a sugar cube to remove the paint without damaging the coating underneath
>>
>>1002516
What are your thoughts on Fazolis?
I was thinking of having them cater for my brothers wedding.
>>
>>1002529
Mmmh. At this point I'd just look elsewhere. There must be other place where people actually discuss cooking. You could even make a passive aggressive thread on /ck/ asking whether if they know of such a place.

>very few people are interested in cooking and would rather argue over whether Papa John's or Pizza Hut has the worst pizza.
Damn. This shit is messed up.
>>
>>1002532
He is exaggerating quite a bit.
There is fast food shitposting, but there is real cooking threads too.
>>
>>1002534
>exaggerating
Post 10 threads with people actually cooking. I'll wait. I'm just catching up on last season's Gotham while working out and checking this thread every now and again, so I've got time.

>>1002532
Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. I'm not going to be passive aggressive to /ck/. I'm just gonna leave it alone for a while and hope it balances itself out eventually.
I don't like signing up for things, so I don't use Reddit or Facebook and I'm not bloggy enough to use tumblr or blogspot to for cross-culinary exchange.
4chan's set up is just right for me, which is why I wanted to know if /diy/ food stuff is welcomed here.
>>
>>1002239
Stupid tripfag.
>>
>>1002487
No, keep it on /ck/. Unless you're making your own cookware or utensils.
>>
>>1002549
Okay, I guess. I expected as much, but wanted to ask to be sure. I'll still lurk the thread, though. Just in case.
>>
Can we get actual conversation itt other than than off-topic /ck/ crossposting. Please?
>>
>>1002549
Kill yourself

>>1002551
Nobody except a few autists would actually care about you making a thread
>>
>>1002531
>brother's wedding
Is this the new "wife's son" meme?
>>
>>1002612
Yes, anon. Everything is a meme now. Brb. I have to prepare my husband's daughter's breakfast.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I want to make a receptionist style desk out of this counter top for my bedroom I am remodeling in the basement. I saw some resurfacing kits in mind and I also have previous experience with painting and staining furniture.

What is a good height to make it out for? I never built a desk/ table, only assembled them.

I like the idea of making it high and using a drafting chair with a foot ring, but then again sitting it low would make it more comfortable in the long run.

Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 500x666px
>>1002907
This is a design I had in mind for it, but in the same shape as the countertop.
>>
>>1002558
Try starting a conversation that other people want to have
>>
>>1003166
No. Your job is to entertain me and compensate for my lack of conversational motivation.
>>
>>1002612
The fazolis part was supposed to be the meme.
Its actually banned to post about Fazolis on /ck/
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 650x433px
What are some good ideas for repurposing/ reusing parts from a trampoline? I was thinking of building some type of mesh swing or something for the patio. Seen this and it looks nice as well. Thoughts?
>>
>>999678
go to home improvement store buy piece of polystyrene cut it to fit, used before works good
>>
File: 20160604_122611.jpg (573KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160604_122611.jpg
573KB, 2048x1152px
What is this clip called? It's used to hold the trim onto my oven, but both have broken and I don't know what to search for to buy new ones
>>
File: 20160604_122600.jpg (630KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160604_122600.jpg
630KB, 2048x1152px
>>1003585
Other view
>>
File: 123123a.png (3MB, 2498x1563px) Image search: [Google]
123123a.png
3MB, 2498x1563px
Does my board match the schematic? Pretty new to electronics and all.
>>
>>1003586
Oven trim clip. Just search around and find a supplier you can search by model number.
>>
Ceiling fan is making bothersome noise above. Peaks at 120 Hertz. Will replacing it with a brushless DC fan make it tolerable?
>>
>>1003674
Make sure it's level and properly secured.
>>
>>1003637
r u srs
>>
>>998140
I got one of these last summer but hardly used it. Now I started using it again but I get a very noticeable chemical smell coming from it. Is this safe?
>>
>>1003643
damnit. close but no cigar. Thanks kindly

Tis a Jenn Air and I've had no luck finding one. Will spend the weekend looking
>>
>>998140
Stupid ?
I'm growing Mint but sometimes I get algae in my water full glasses with mint inside.

How is algae bad for mint?

Or is it bad at all?
>>
Just bought a house and it's kinda run down. Could use some basic advice moving forward.

What are good tools every home owner should have?

Is there a recommended guide out there to refinishing or putting down wooden floor boards?

As somebody with no experience, should I just opt for paying professionals? if so, how much should I expect to pay for 1400sq? Or for 800sq (just common areas).

Where's a good place to get cabinet hardware?
>>
File: rojKP.jpg (19KB, 421x259px) Image search: [Google]
rojKP.jpg
19KB, 421x259px
I have some of these infrared receiver things in my junk heap and I'm wondering can I connect one directly to a 3.5mm microphone input or does it need some other components to work and not burn out instantly?
>>
>>998353
swagelok
>>
Asbestos
>>
>>999678
Poly is good stuff, there's a range of thicknesses, but if you're having sound issues you could go with an insulated exterior sheet cut two inches or so larger than the area you're covering and the vibration and temperature changes/humidity won't be an issue long term. (If it is long term idk what's up)
>>
File: image.png (754KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
754KB, 1242x2208px
I'm in need of a cylinder of argon for a TIG welder. I was thinking about having my local tractor supply order one for me from that gaspony cylinder exchange.125 cubic feet sounds pretty manageable for just occasional projects. Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

I noticed that tractor supply and Home Depot both participate but neither lists pure argon in their online store so I'm figuring special order.
>>
>>999790
Fluke 12E maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDm5BfRrAsg
>>
>>1000999
Nice trips,
I wanna buy a pullup bar, however, my door frame makes a screeching sound, is this safe on any frame ?
>>
File: WP_20160605_17_00_18_Pro.jpg (418KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160605_17_00_18_Pro.jpg
418KB, 1600x900px
Which wires go where? Please help.
>>
>>1004071

Can't say that from here.
>>
>>1004071
Yellow is probably c(common), 1 is probably black, 2 is probably red.
>>
>>1004071
its a switch which OP has intelligently only photographed the top half of - there are input and output terminals.

Leave everything else as it is, take one of the reds, conect to 1, other, connect to terminal vertically opposite (not pictured) - (light?) switch should work.
>>
File: image.jpg (354KB, 1023x1016px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
354KB, 1023x1016px
Finish carpenter but moonlight as a "printmaker/artist"

So I'm designing a big mural (8'x9' triangular shape)for an art show I'm gonna do.Anyways it'll be a stencil/graffiti/street art style painting.

there is a part/layer of it that will be a take off of the rising sun but more mixed with a Christian halo and an actual representation of the sun.
I'd like to have this stencil as one piece since its covering a 4'x4' area. I guess the dilemma is id rather have have that cut out by a computer because I'd like to have the circles be true. The rays shouldnt be a problem because what is a straight edge. Preferably looking at like plastic film like say an X-ray.

TLDR
Without specifics what kinds of places should I should I be reaching out to. To get several 1' circles cut out of a film or cardstock?

Like acrylic places? Trophies/engravers? Is this something that like a laser cutter would handle or say some type of cnc or something ?
>>
File: cricut_imagine.jpg (158KB, 1600x949px) Image search: [Google]
cricut_imagine.jpg
158KB, 1600x949px
>>1004183
You might be able to find a compass tool at a local art store that could do it.

Or go to a local scrap booking group meeting and see what they would charge to use a Cricut machine that one of them probably has.
>>
>>1004183
Anyone with an type of CNC device could do it. laser, router, blade cutter, basically anything. Otherwise you could probably just find a 1 ft circle at the craft store as part of a pattern.

Consider also using a circle cutting jig on a saw or router since you likely have them already.
>>
I want to learn ho to weld. How much should I spend on my first MIG welder? don't want to get ripped off, or buy something more advanced than I need to learn.
>>
Use Aircondition duct tape ( 4 in wide ) Teflon coated one sided adhesive. 2 in thick foam, cut with sharp knife diameter (d x 3.14) Wrap around hose first (foam), then use duct tape to secure with short strips, when all secured wrap duct tape all the way. Any builders market.
>>
Stupid wasp is building a nest between my security/screen door and my front door. There's like an inch gap at the top and bottom of the screen door, what do.
>>
>>1004259
spray with wasp killer, duh
>>
>>999010
how many watts?
>>
Ok DIY, we have rampant thieves around the place where i live. What pisses me off the most, is that we never can catch them.

They are stealing fuel out of our machines, and i want to put an end to this shit. I live like 2 minutes from the place where out machines are parked, so i tought that if i could somehow rig the tanks so that i get an alarm notification on my phone i might be able to get there and call the cops on them in time. Into what should i look tough, it needs to obviously be a gadget that can send messages/signals to my phone.
>>
>>1004400
I've used an app called Salient Eye. Be careful not to run afoul of wiretapping/eavesdropping laws.
>>
>>1004400
>>1004405
And get at least a 15,000 mah power bank if you want it to stay powered several hours. That kind of software drains it fast.
>>
>>1004406
>>1004405

Oh man, thats a no go. I was honestly thinking of low tech. Like riging up a old pager or something to send messages to my phone or something like that.

Apps like the one you show wouldn't work because of animals. My plan was literally to make a closed circuit when the tank lid is closed, with (some misterious device capable of sending messages) checking when the circuit is broken.
>>
>>1004221
Get a stick welder. Hiring or buying the gas cylinders is a big expense and pain in the ass.
>>
>>1004221
Visit weldingweb and the Miller welding forums IMMEDIATELY for answers in any detail you need for any level of expertise. Mad content and so good it makes any welding post here a waste of time by comparison.

Welding is great. Go where I bid ye and you will be pleased for there is much to learn.
>>
How do I cut gem?
I started using my brothers mini-grinder on a piece of amethyst, and none of the extensions do much of anything (grinders, polishing wheels, drills etc.) - except that now the fucking thing can't pace itself (goes too fast or too slow, changes speeds)
Did I fuck it up, /diy/?
>>
Is there a decent pathway for an electrician to become a general contractor? I've been an apprentice for two years now, and I can't help but admire the GC on the job sites. I would love to some day have that job.
>>
>>1005144
Diamond saw blade, diamond wire saw

You could grind it away but that will cause a lot of "smear" on the surface.
>>
>>998140
Any books to recommend in order to improve and learn on DIY mindset/skills ? (electronics, wood work, etc.)
>>
Sup /diy/, Is there special paint that you can paint on rock surfaces on, Or does regular hobby paint work? Need to paint muh rune stone
>>
>>1004309
1.5 in Canada. Don't know what the Ireland one was - 3 I guess?
>>
>>1005459
Nope. Practice.

Look for diy on thepiratebay
>>
>>998622
Maybe you can try shortening a normal soldering iron? It still wont be pencil like, but it will be better.
>>
>>1005658
Try using a non-water based paint.

Spray on might give a better finish without repeated brushing/sandings.
>>
>>1005280
Finish your electrical apprenticeship and then apply for GC jobs.

But it might be a waste of skills if GC is just a general labourer.

Unless you mean working for yourself as an electrician.

What country, state are you in? How old are you? Why do you like GC over electrical? Need more info.
>>
>>1004400
Or find a way to lock up the gas caps. Low tech is probably more likely to get the thieves to move onto something easier.

Alternatively, put up a motion activated camera, video or still in a suitable location to at least get photos and times of the theft.
>>
>>1005874
I'm 21 in Chicagoland. I like electrical a lot, but I do want to be a GC some day down the road. I was wondering if that is something I would have to go back to school for, or if my eventual experience as an electrician would be valuable in that area.
>>
>>1005876
Yeah man you'll get someone to weld on padlock braces pretty easy. Or go full /k/ and hide a grenade under the cap of a dummy tank with the pin attached to the cap
>>
Can an old rusted out hot water tank be salvaged into something else?

I was planning on spraypainting it with some creative design or something.
>>
>>1005927
Is it rusty on the inside? You can make a solar heater.
>>
File: This stuff.png (60KB, 436x271px) Image search: [Google]
This stuff.png
60KB, 436x271px
I got a piece of particle board (2.5ftx1ft) and I want to make it wether resistant to a point where I can leave it out in the rain. What is my best option?
>>
>>1002230
Paint remover / acetone and a cotton swab. The body is likely powder coat or an electrostatic paint and will be much more durable than the screen print. The white will come off long before the black is damaged.
>>
>>1004400
Set up a camera with motion detection somewhere nearby. They're like $40 on Amazon at most and they'd trip the alarm before they touch the tank, giving you more time to respond. And you'd get video of them.
>>
>>1006091
How long do you need it to last? A heavy coat of exterior oil-based paint will keep it "for a while."

If you need it to last multiple seasons take a sharpy, and use the piece of wood to make a sign advertizing that you're sucking dicks for $20. Suck two dicks, then buy treated lumber or PVC. Suck four you can afford marine grade ply.
>>
>>1006110
A "while" will be fine. I'll switch to something better when I can get something on the cheap.
>>
>>1006091
>I got a piece of particle board (2.5ftx1ft) and I want to make it wether resistant to a point where I can leave it out in the rain. What is my best option?

Best option = Fiberglass it.
But it's particle board so that probably won't even work.
>>
I need to buy some extension springs but can't find a place that isn't low volume or minimum order.
Anyone help me out?

I usually do electronics so I have the luxury of being able to buy without min order from Mouser or Digikey
>>
File: Australian_switched_powerboard.jpg (147KB, 2372x800px) Image search: [Google]
Australian_switched_powerboard.jpg
147KB, 2372x800px
One of the ports in my powerboard has randomly stopped working. Anybody know what that is about? All the other ports are working fine but the port second from the end no longer powers anything, does not matter what I try to plug in there.

All switches are on and everything. Happened to a second powerboard today which is why I came here to ask wtf is happening. One powerboard I can put off as a fluke of shitty design, but two?
>>
>>1006414

the chinks are now using lead-free solder on everything, which is crap, coz of EU regulation, which ccan male connections pop loose. also, workmanship is not valued, just speed, coz ''time is money, bitch''

the second-most probable reason is that the contacts are bent coz they use cheap materials. in both cases, you can open it up and remedy the situation fairly easily.
>>
I have a Beaglebone black and a mojo v3. what can I make with the two.

should I have got a logishield instead of a separate fpga?
>>
>>1006414
Open it up, bb.
Show us its guts.
>>
>>1006452
>>1006430
I'll open it up and have a look when I get home. Just left to visit family for the weekend.
>>
>>998682
Septic tank vent
>>
Hey /diy/, its been an incredibly shitty week and I'm not thinking too straight so help me out.

The blower motor to our swamp cooler apparently just died. My mother and sister were complaining that the air wasn't cold enough (no shit, its 100deg F and high humidity right now!) so I went on the roof to check the water pump. Had them cycle the cooler to pump only and lo and behold the pump was working just fine but when I had them cycle to cool or vent settings there was no response from the blower motor.

It had been working fine the last few days up until I had them turn it off so I could check it. No breakers were tripped and the water pump and blower motor run off of the same circuit.

Is it safe to assume that it is purely a problem with the motor and not any of the wiring leading up to it? The motor is over 9 years old best as I can tell.
>>
Well /diy/ its officially summer here in Indiana. The problem is, I am the very last room in the house that the air conditioner reaches, so I get no air at all, and my room is in full sun. It is regularly 90F+ and I spend the summer sleeping in the cellar where it is cool.

Problem is we are redoing our cellar and I can't sleep in there this summer, so I'm stuck in the oven. Is there anything I can do to the AC/duct work to draw more air to my room? I tried replacing the filter and shutting every other vent in the house, but I still get nothing.

Would it be cheaper/more practical to just buy one of those window AC units? I've heard they are junk, but I'm sure there are quality ones out there. If I go this route, would a 5000 BTU unit be enough for a 15x15 room?

I'm sorry my post is more what should I buy than what should I make, but this is the most relevant board we have for it.
>>
>>1006775
How's the humidity? If it's not too high (<50%) make yourself a swamp cooler. It'll cost maybe $50 in materials, and can keep you comfortable in up to mid 90s outside temp.

I'm about to build one this weekend. I read a bunch of online guides and will be designing mine as a combination of a few.
>>
>>1006765
>Is it safe to assume that it is purely
a problem with the motor and not any of the wiring leading up to it?

assuming nothing, test everything.
- turn the fan manually to see if motor is seized
- hook up voltmeter (or lightbulb) across the motor terminals to see if it's getting power.

if it has power and is not seized, then you can make assumptions about the motor. and it's not necessarily dead; could be a blown thermal fuse, which only costs a dollar, but isn't easy to change.
>>
File: 20160609_170426.jpg (893KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160609_170426.jpg
893KB, 2560x1440px
I bought these files at a flea market and I feel like I got ripped off, what do you think they're worth?
>>
>>1006841
Maybe $.50 in scrap, depending on where you live and what scrap prices are.

Everybody forgets that files are consumable goods, like driver bits, and hacksaw blades.
If the teeth are still good, good for you, you possibly saved some money over buying a new file, but they're probably shot.
You bought garbage, congratulations.
>>
>>1006775
Is it possible to add an in line fan anywhere ?. Or is this putting a band aid on the problem ?
>>
>>1006841
Depends.
I have paid anywhere from a quarter a piece to a maybe 4-5 dollars.
It really depends on how good of shape they are, what they, and how im feeling at the time.

I also have a ton of old files already, so I tend to not spend too much on them unless something catches my eye about them.
>>
>>1006841
As files, probably scrap value unless you lucked out on the teeth being good. But if they're decent steel you might make punches/chisels out of them, especially if you could use something nonstandard.
>>
>>1006775
>would a 5000 BTU unit be enough for a 15x15 room?

yep, if you keep the door closed. personally i'd spend another $50 for a 7000 BTU unit so it doesnt have to work non-stop on very hot days. in my experience, even the cheapest units, like a Sunbeam, will last 5-10 seasons before they start to act screwy.

another cost you have to consider is the acrylic plate over the A/C. a 1/4-inch thick sheet can easily go to $40 if it's bought new. that's like 50% of the cheapest A/C unit on sale.
>>
>>1006788
Alright status update: haven't had a chance to test with a voltmeter. The cage/pulley/motor all spun freely when I checked it earlier. The blower turned on after about an hour of just sitting, couldn't trouble shoot more due to a funeral.

It's sounding like a thermal safety switch shutting it down when it overheats, if it were a fuse it wouldn't power back on right? Going to have to figure out if the motor is overheating due to age, too tight a belt, or ???
>>
Does a sort of small valve with a pushbutton to open it exist? I have no idea what to google for.
What I have in mind:
[balloon] -- [valve] -- [tube]
Only when the button on the valve is pushed air can go in our out of the balloon. Doesn't need to be high pressure or anything, just airtight.
>>
>>1007070
I found out that a slide valve might be what I'm looking for. But some of the ones I find for sale have a minimum pressure rating that's above 0, what exactly would this mean in my application?
I'm thinking if I close the valve it would still leak air if the pressure from the balloon is below the minimum?
>>
I was building a spray booth for airbrushing, and I bought this chink bathroom fan. Problem is, it is way too weak for my needs.
I have one other extractor fan with the typical fanblade design which works, but it is unable to vent through a hose.
Pic related housing is also not big enough to accommodate a motor transplant.

TL;DR how to improve CFM
>>
>>999010
>falling for the bait
First euro kettle I found online was 1000w. There are lots of 1000w 120v kettles in north america
>>
>>1003254
As far as repurposing, you could use the mat as a base to stitch a nicer fabric onto. It has a lot of flex which is nice for a swing. I would really recommend against using the springs as the support if you're looking for a swing. My current project is a naval themed porch swing, similar to the one in your picture, and im using manila rope wrapped as the support. Remember you want a swing,not a suspended trampoline
>>
File: gnd.png (6KB, 383x288px) Image search: [Google]
gnd.png
6KB, 383x288px
Why isn't the current flowing?

I tried this in real life and the current flowed. What happened was that one of my generators output wire was touched with the generator body. I used a tester and I could detect voltage. So for fun I took a ground wire and touched it with the generator and there was a pretty neat spark.
>>
>>1007221
You only connected one end of your AC source.
>>
>>1007221
Okay but can you explain what I said about the generator. Wasn't it a case like that?
>>
File: done.png (6KB, 329x327px) Image search: [Google]
done.png
6KB, 329x327px
>>1007243
I found out that the simulator has a 1-terminal AC source. And it's now working as expected.
>>
>>1007253
The one terminal source is just assumed to be connected to ground on the other side.

>>1007221
>I tried this in real life and the current flowed. What happened was that one of my generators output wire was touched with the generator body.
That makes sense then, because generally the case is grounded. So it made a complete circuit.
>>
Lets say I have a 10HP motor hooked up to a DPDT switch "ON OFF ON" i.e. forward off reverse. Will it damage the motor if I switch from forward to reverse while it is at full speed? Will it slow down and reverse speed faster if I do this?
>>
>>1007256
So the reason the mains power hot wire shocks people is because it's neutral is connected to ground?
>>
>>1007266
yes. Thats why Isolation transformers can prevent shocks.
>>
>>1007272
I am learning in so many things. This is great.

Another question if you wouldn't mind: Why does a portable generator have floating neutral and mains power don't?
>>
Why don't manufacturers make cars with the heated horizontal lines on the front windows where they are needed the most?
>>
>>1007280
It'd be obstructing the windshield.
>>
>>1007279
Because the generator itself is floating. Like any other object, it's isolated from ground unless you deliberately ground it.
>>
>>1007280
Blowing hot air on the inside works well enough, and is needed anyway to remove respiration.
>>
>>1007287
Just takes a while for the engine to warm up is all. Some cars nowadays have a built in electric heater that solves the problem.
>>
>>1007286
If one of the terminals is grounded the said terminal will then be the neutral?
>>
File: ac.gif (114KB, 351x312px) Image search: [Google]
ac.gif
114KB, 351x312px
>>1007302
Pic related. This simulation agrees with what I said. Is it correct?
>>
>>1007260

it's entirely possible to damage a motor if you reverse it while running at full speed. you'll get a large temporary spike of current as the generated and applied voltages add. OTOH, motors are pretty hardy, so maybe all tha'll happen is that it gets briefly hot.

OTOOH, 10HP is a big ass motor, so i'd expect a very large current that'll blow the overload protectors.
>>
>>1007302
>>1007317
Pretty much jea. However depending on your country you are or aren't allowed to use one wire for ground and neutral.(RCD's need them to be seperated to work). On the outsde of the house both are often layed as one cable.
>>
File: 20160612_122503.jpg (3MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_122503.jpg
3MB, 2160x2160px
Damn am I confused.
How to I hook this well pump up to run out of an outlet?
I'm never seen anything like this before I thought it would just come with a plug that you plug in. Also, do I absolutely need a pressure tank? I'm not trying to draw well water to live off of. I just need to bring the water from down there up here.

I posted about the well earlier in the thread by the way. I just got a pump. It's a Wayne 1/2 HP shallow well.
>>
File: X60.jpg (258KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
X60.jpg
258KB, 1200x1600px
I want to repaint my MemePad from black to light grey or cream-- keyboard included. What paint would I use for plastic and the rubber-textured top? How many layers? Will there be any eventual wear or chipping? If so, how do I avoid that?
>>
>>1007614
Also, how would I go about repainting the keyboard's characters after I finish painting over the keyboard?
>>
File: diode.png (90KB, 605x418px) Image search: [Google]
diode.png
90KB, 605x418px
What is that diode assembly thing, what does it do and is there a name for that component?
>>
>>1007674
Full wave or bridge rectifier. Converts AC to DC. You can build it with rectifier diodes or you can get them in a single part.
>>
>>1007682
thank you
>>
>>1007614
>>1007618
>painting plastic
You gon have a bad time.
Usually they color the plastic itself, not paint, since it doesn't stick real well and will wear off very quickly.
>>
>>1007743
I thought so. I was hoping there'd be some special paint to prevent that.

Well shit, nigger-- my plans on that are down the drain. What if I line the laptop and keys with clear tape? Would that prevent chipping and wear?
>>
>>1007614
>>1007746
Don't it. Don't meme your memepad even more.
>>
>>1007750
B-but what can I do to make mine a speshul snowflake besides installing gentoo and ricing it? Stickers are fucking shit.
>>
File: You-are-way-off-the-ball.png (954KB, 1584x1390px) Image search: [Google]
You-are-way-off-the-ball.png
954KB, 1584x1390px
>>1007614
If you do anything, use plastidip. Use 5 layers. And don't paint the keys, You are just asking for a bad meme. Take any further questions to /r/plastidip, they are more informed than I

For the love of Stallman , don't be some fag and try to mask the whole thing. Just take it apart. It's the difference between a memepad and becoming a meme yourself.

>clear tape
Here this image is for you.
>>
File: sinewave-gen.png (17KB, 543x368px) Image search: [Google]
sinewave-gen.png
17KB, 543x368px
What the fuck is generator current in this circuit?
>>
>>1007796
>generator
I mean generating. That's a sine-wave generator circuit.
>>
>>1007787
This is a sfw board
>>
File: 1462930456181.jpg (69KB, 600x804px) Image search: [Google]
1462930456181.jpg
69KB, 600x804px
>>1007814
Hope you don't lose your job or wife, then.
>>
File: GrandpaSeth.jpg (23KB, 277x292px) Image search: [Google]
GrandpaSeth.jpg
23KB, 277x292px
>>1007787
Hi Grandpa Seth!
>>
>>1007796
the op amp
>>
>>1003894
you'll prob just need a resistor but idk how many volts a 3.5 or that thing is.

do some research and you can calculate the number of ohms you'd need
>>
What kind of materials should I not dilute bleach in?
Also I read somewhere that you're supposed to 'dechlorinate' things which have been in touch with bleach. Is this necessary for just dilution?
>>
>>1000886

I believe it intakes outside air, heats it (heat pump cools the inside air) and vents it back outside.
>>
A cow-orker thinks he's AvE and it's ducking annoying. How do I get them fired/incarcerated?
>>
>>1007955
Call HR and tell them that your coworker doesnt keep his stick on the ice, which makes him not very skookum.
That or just complain that he is putting vegetables onto the production machines.
>>
>>1007070
>>1007092
Anyone have an idea?
>>
I just moved to the Netherlands and I'm looking for local stores that sell general electronic components.

Stuff such as sensors, boards, cables.

I thought about buying on Chinese websites but it just takes too long.
>>
>>998175
Sell it or give it away to a woodworker who won't fucking ruin it.
>>
>>998624
Doing simple things extremely well is not always easy.

Masonry is also expensive and labor intensive relative to other construction. Which means any little imperfection will be noticed. It also lasts forever, so shitty work goes down in history.
>>
>>999242
There's an off chance you can find a service manual online or an actual typewriter repair shop (maybe just some oldtimer who works out of his garage but hey).

If you open it up yourself, you might wind up with a pile of scrap. Might be fun though. I've always passed on electrics because I like the little portables, now you got me curious.

Your portable sounds like it needs maintenance/lubrication, or maybe just a new ribbon.

I know this is /diy/ but they also still make new manual and electric typewriters.
>>
>>1002214
Did it not say in the box?

1&2 look like sanding wheels that need a bit to hold them.
3,4,5 are polishing stones, not sure how they'd fare with plastic or wood.
6 is a wire brush, used for polishing.
Not sure about 7, looks like someone wrapped a bit of gaff tape around it.

What you need to do is go to harbor freight and get a variety pack of their cheap shit bits. Then buy name brand stuff if and when they break (either because you've found them really useful, or because they really were unseasonably shit).
>>
>>1007614
Vinyl dye. Should dye the plastic rather than having paint which will chip. No good way to replace key letters tho. Honestly stickers would probably be the way to go. I'd suggest leaving the keyboard as is and just painting the rest of the body. Also don't paint the traxkpad.
>>
>>1003878
Watch the movie "The Money Pit".

Laying wood flooring should not be your first diy project, but there are many books and guides out there.

I like books because they're usually written better, and more complete than most guides slapped together by weekend warriors online. Go to the library cuz you're gonna need that money.

I have an old book called "Basic Carpentry" that I found invaluable for filling gaps left by growing up in a broken home.

Pros will cost you a lot of money. Like you won't even believe how much. You can make more money fixing shit for people who are afraid of tools than some people do with ivy league liberal arts degrees that cost 100k.

>cabinet hardware
hardware store

>tools every home owner should have
If you're a man?
Start with basics and buy stuff as you need them. If you're stripping screws or marring up surfaces, you're probably using the wrong tool, or using it in the wrong way.

Given that you're embarking on a bigger fix up (not just maintaining little things) you're going to have to balance the cost of tools against the time they save you. You can redo all the trim in your house with a hand saw and miter box, but a chop saw will save you a lot of time.

You should really get a friend with more experience to help you.

If you're a woman?
>a telephone and a checkbook
>and/or a man
>>
>>1007070
if PVC you want a ball valve.
>>
>>1006449
Perhaps something that requires computerized automation?

Why'd you buy a tool you have no use for?
>>
File: rsz_img_20160613_183605.jpg (553KB, 1560x2080px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160613_183605.jpg
553KB, 1560x2080px
I need to sand the paint off this arbour before i can repaint it. Since I dont fancy doing this by hand, what type of power sander would work best?
>>
File: shellthru.jpg (21KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
shellthru.jpg
21KB, 600x337px
I've never been here before and don't do much stuff myself so excuse if this is excessively stupid.

I'm trying to make a stealth truck camper with a good amount of headspace. I currently sleep in my 93 Toyota pickup with a regular camper shell and just have blackout curtains up. I'm looking at buying this work shell because of the extra room/roof height (I'm 6'3") and extra stealth.

My question is how could I best create a passthrough from the cab to the shell? Currently I have a sliding window in both the cab and shell so I just crawl through - obviously this one is just a solid wall, and I'm wondering how to make a removable, but still water tight, passage. I'm sure if I was savvy with this stuff I could just put a sliding window in the place where there is currently metal.

My completely uneducated and pretty useless brain thinks that I could just cut out the metal and put some sort of seal around it where I can just insert the metal back into...does this even make sense? I don't know, I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated, thanks
>>
>>1008119

Shoot, link to the ad since it might make it easier to understand this inane post

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/5624068879.html
>>
>>1008097
Why not use a paint scraper and some paint thinner
>>
>>1008121
Because i don't fancy fucking about with several litres of paint thinner, especially as i will still need to sand it before it gets painted. I might as well strip it and sand it in one go.
>>
Can anyone recommend an online resource that can teach me about proper blueprint designing?

I checked the sticky but didn't have much luck.
>>
>>1008136

i'd use an orbital sander to flatten it, stripping the paint isn't necessary and too labor intensive. Just using a paint scraper is fine too if you don't mind minor surface imperfections.
>>
I was given a wind up clock movement, and it seems to work, but is very loud without being enclosed. What can I do to make it quieter? Getting a case would probably be best to lessen the noise and make it look nice, but I don't think I can make one and I haven't found one to buy yet.
>>
Our garage fell into disuse for quite a while, and a couple of flourescent fixtures over the workbench don't work. I'm going to assume that the bulbs aren't bad, and test it some other time.

What are some easy fixes I can test for, if things don't work after just re-seating the bulbs?
>>
File: gnd2.png (6KB, 362x297px) Image search: [Google]
gnd2.png
6KB, 362x297px
>>1007266
>the mains power hot wire shocks people is because it's neutral is connected to ground
Expanding on that I have two other questions.

1. What would happen if the neutral was not connected to ground at all? If someone touches a hot wire it won't shock them. Isn't that a good thing?

2. Pic related. Assuming neutral is grounded only at the transformer (left side of pic) and a person who is grounded touches a hot wire (right side of pic), does the electricity flow all the way from where the person is standing to where the transformer is?

Sorry for my stupid questions.
>>
I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask for this, but does anyone have the wooden wedding ring screencap?

Where the anon makes the ring for his girlfriend then she cheats on him?
>>
File: loadbearing.png (17KB, 749x354px) Image search: [Google]
loadbearing.png
17KB, 749x354px
Which design will take a greater load? the orange pins represent glued in dowel joints, the lines are the direction of the grain on the wood
>>
>>1008339
The one on the right. How much load are we talking though? You might want to use a different joint, like a box joint or even some kind of mechanical fastener like a corner brace.
>>
>>1008339
What is the base resting on? if it's on the ground then either will be fine because the load is being transferred directly to the ground.

If the base is being suspended off the ground somehow, A would be a better option, in B the load is resting on those joints, shearing them apart in A the joint is being compressed and all the joint has to do is hold the pieces from sliding apart it's not supporting any weight.
>>
>>1008360
>>1008361
This is what im trying to build, however i wasn't quite fond of the butt joint being shown on the outside, each shelf needs to hold 30-40 pounds without flex or bow
>>
I have a sharp carousel convection-microwave (pic related). According to the same place I found this pic it is a model R-8620.

When I turn it on as a convection oven and preheat to a temperature of 220C or less it often tells me it has reached the temperature way before it has and then stops heating. So it will say it is 200C but it will actually be 90C or the like.

Anybody know what the deal with this is? Tried googling but could not find any similar problems.
>>
>>1008428
idk. When I used to eat cookies all the time (before I decided it's better not to eat macro isolates with the nutritious bits removed) they would always come out flat if cooked in one of those. I never thought to check it with a thermometer. Maybe do that at all the temps and make a chart to leave next to it?
>>
File: ss (2016-06-14 at 06.39.43).png (147KB, 1120x416px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-14 at 06.39.43).png
147KB, 1120x416px
>>1008428
I could not find a manual for the exact model but I found one for one in the same rough series. If it is the top one here there could be heaps of causes. If it is the bottom one which I guess it would be since temps 220C+ still seem to work, it is a bit more limited.

What do you think /qtddtot/?
>>
File: BREAKER.jpg (97KB, 898x686px) Image search: [Google]
BREAKER.jpg
97KB, 898x686px
Can I cut between the switches here? And is it a good idea to buy $2 chink circuit breakers?
>>
>>1008454

>Can I cut between the switches here?
sure

>And is it a good idea to buy $2 chink circuit breakers?
chinks and safety should never mix
>>
Anons, whats the max thickness of steel that i can drill with a 13 china shit drill bench?
>>
>>1008478
any thickness, just run at the right speed and be careful to not overheat the bit or the metal. Plenty of oil, not too much pressure. And that shit better not be hardened.
>>
So Summers back and those fucking Accordion window brackets suck steaming dick for keeping hot air out, and cold air in.

My local Lowes does not sell Semi-Rigid Foam, or Plastic sheeting in economical quantities.

Anyone know of an alternative that can be had online?

I live out in fuck nowhere Princeton, West Virginia.
>>
>>1008235
shameful bump
>>
>>999779
Probably easier to add a filter to your circuit
>>
>>1008510
Buy a roll of fiberglass insulation and tape it on.
>>
>>1008645
>>1008645

I've a 5 year old son who's inquisitive to the point of disassembly.

That's a fuckin' no go boss.

Plus I wanted to make something I could remove, and reinstall next season.

I was also going to try and fine some closed cell foam runners to stick in the window tracks and behind the rubber slip that's "Supposed" to make a seal between the two windows.

I did something like this years ago whne I bought the AC unit, I used the packing Styrofoam and cut a bunch of "insulation" blocks.

And it worked perfectly.
>>
>>1008651
Fiberglass would teach him to not take shit apart.
>>
File: 13446244863020.jpg (182KB, 466x478px) Image search: [Google]
13446244863020.jpg
182KB, 466x478px
>>1008668
>>1008668

Anon, you're on a fucking DIY board.

Curiosity should never be punished.

Hell if anything I wanted to let him help me airseal the fucking AC-Units.
Way to be a dick my man.
>>
>>1008668
ha
>>
>>1008672

youre right, this is /diy/, let me adjust my suggestions

>>1008510
Pay someone to insulate it for you.
>>
>>998140
Could you point another air conditioner at it?
>>
I accidentally put my cellulose acetate glasses in the washing machine. They came out deformed, and I was thinking about reheating them and mold them back into shape (CA is a thermoplastic).

My question is, can I use a cooking pot to this end? Are there any toxicity risks I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1009020
Are they prescription glasses? If so, you'd never going to get them right again.
>>
>>1009025
Pretty sure he is talking about the frames.

>>1009020
How badly deformed are they? I have used hot water to soften my glasses frames so that I could adjust the arms for a better fit. It is the same thing they do when you take them in to be fitted, they heat the plastic up and bend it into shape.

If they are so deformed that even the actual frame section holding the glass has been messed up then you might be in a bit of trouble.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1009025
What did you mean by this? The lenses survived. They went into the space between the washing machine door and the rotating body, into the rubber part.

>>1009026
The frames, on the other hand... This is what two rides in a washing machine make to you. However, given how the maximum temperature in washing machines is around 60 C, and I can get to 100 C by boiling water, I was confident I could manipulate them into their former shape.

Getting the lenses back in the frame is a different issue, but I'm thinking about something small to get them pinned in place.

Back to the toxicity, do you guys have any input on that?
>>
>>1009044
>maximum temperature in washing machines is around 60 C
Are you sure they were not next to a heating element or something? 60C should not do that to plastic frames.

Those look pretty fucked, you might be better off taking your lenses in somewhere and getting them put in new frames. That is assuming your lenses have not had their coatings destroyed (probably have).

Toxicity would not be a problem unless you plan on drinking the water.
>>
>>1009045
The WM was next to the dryer, but I don't think anything else was in place. I assumed that was caused by the temperature and forces over the frames.

My optician told me they don't make those frames any more, and that the new ones are bigger, so adapting the lenses is impossible. I'll try asking around.

I'll try it tomorrow then and report back. I hope I can get them back in shape.
>>
>>1008147

I guess a follow up question about this is, could it be possible to adapt the movement to a donor clock case, especially to accommodate the winder. Or should I just get a new clock?
>>
File: what could possibly go wrong.png (165KB, 791x677px) Image search: [Google]
what could possibly go wrong.png
165KB, 791x677px
Would pic related work to make a powered USB hub? I could buy one, but I got that old standard hub laying around unused.
>>
Not strictly DIY, but its hopefully a quick question.

The WiFi in my house does not reach one of the bedrooms, however it does have an Ethernet cable in it connected to the main router.

Basically i want a boosted WiFi signal in this room but my experience with the standard boosters in the past has been pretty poor (ones that both pick up the signal wirelessly and then broadcast it), what i want to know is are there types where i can plug the Ethernet cable in and boost a full strength signal from there? I know a lot have Ethernet ports on them but i get the impression these are to provide a device with an Ethernet link from the booster, not to provide the data to it?

sorry if this is blatantly obvious, just after the product type i would want to solve this issue.

Thanks
>>
>>1009131
I'd ask consumerism /g/eneral.
>>
>>1009117

you would want to make sure there's no power collision between the external power, and power coming in from the male plug. i'd use a 5.7V power adapter (they definitely exist for some phone chargers) and put a silicon diode in series with it. connect those 2 wires to the hub, not the plug.
>>
>>1009131

the device you want is a wifi router configured as a repeater. some units do this natively, others can be flashed with DD-WRT (or similar). this option may be expensive, complicated, and may not work.

another solution is to use a ready-made repeater with ethernet output, like the Crystalview model A5. you set it up between the endpoints, the network sigal goes by wifi from the start point to the repeater, then goes by ethernet cable to the end point.

a third, and cheaper option is, if your end point is using a USB wifi stick, you can use a USB extension cable to bring it close to the signal. i've have good success with cables up to 15 feet -- at 25 feet it sorta works sometimes but is not reliable.
>>
File: Image.png (494KB, 1191x786px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
494KB, 1191x786px
Some anon's LED circuit.

The LED's are probably 3.1 volts, but max brightness with no resistor is a bad idea. Using 2.8V and 10mA instead, 60 ohms. So 100ohms or 68. The second resistor would be 160ohms, so 100, 220, or 100+68.

More than 3 LEDs would not light off 9V.
>>
>>1009609
Also, calculations:
Assuming 2.8V/LED: 3x2.8 = 8.4V.

9V - 8.4V = .6 volts left for the resistor to drop. Assuming 10mA current:

.6V/.01A = R = 60 ohms. Round to nearest standard resistor values, preferring higher values: 68, 100, or down to 47.
>>
>>998691
>>998721
I ended up fixing the the receiver by replacing the dial string. The original string did not have the proper tension. It started to get loose around the 102 mark.
>>
File: IMG_20160616_185843341.jpg (2MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160616_185843341.jpg
2MB, 1456x2592px
The bridge on my guitar just cracked in two a while ago.

Is a good idea to try to bond it back together using either wood glue or JB weld? Or should I just find a replacement bridge?
>>
I want to do a art piece that would be easier if I could pour layers of resin, let it cure, then continue pouring sequential layers of resin. Would there be banding? bubbles? I'd like to be able to pour like 1/4 inch at a time to thicknesses of 3 inches or so
>>
>>1009786
Can't hurt to try.
>>
What's the most powerful infrared blaster I can get easily?
>>
Is there any reason I shouldn't build a geodesic dome in my living room?
>>
>>1008138
bumping
>>
>>1009939

rooms are rectangular, domes are round, so you get a lot of wasted space. now, if you lived in a yurt or a hobbit house, then it'd be a different story.
>>
>>1009950
But I want my cool spaceship that's also a bit quieter inside except for the HEPA filtered air forced in so I don't overheat.
>>
Why aren't walls/floors constructed so that they meet? As far as I can tell, there's a gap and it's so that carpet can appear seamless. From what else I can tell, it's also the main ingress point for crawling insects and spiders, which is something I'd love to eliminate.
>>
>>1010114
Lifehack: Leave the spiders alone and you'll have fewer of both. Assuming you're far enough north that non are dangerous.
>>
>>1010116
Not really material to my question.

I'm not trying to kill anything. I want them to stay out of my living space. It's a win-win for me and the spiders, as bug traffic in here is generally low to begin with. But if I know there's a spider, especially above a certain size, I become paranoid and can't sleep. It's not something I can just switch off by telling myself it can't kill me.

Is the gap there so that the room can breathe, or to accommodate material expansion/contraction? I just don't see a reason for it other than "the customer doesn't see it"
>>
>>1010114

the drywall installers use a lever to push the drywall tightly up against the ceiling before nailing/screwing. so there needs to be a gap to accommodate the lever. also, it allows them to be approximate in their cuts. since the floor is often not level, they'd need to scribe a complex line and cut along that line if they wanted a tight joint. that would cost them several minutes which are better off spent getting high.
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 74

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.