[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting ready to tar my small wooden fishing boat. the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: mosqcolor.png (40KB, 512x220px) Image search: [Google]
mosqcolor.png
40KB, 512x220px
I'm getting ready to tar my small wooden fishing boat. the only problem is I need a better tool, right now im using a piece of cast iron [cut from a pan] sticking it in a fire, and heating the wood sections.. moving it back into the fire, placing the hard ground resin on the boats planking, and moving the hot iron back over top, making sure it soaks down into the wood.

I was thinking of maybe of using a cloths iron, but Ive yet to find one that sits around 500 degrees. to resin turns liquid/soft at 400 degrees, but I need extra temperature due to the drop that's going to happen when applied to the cool wood.

so I come here so maybe you guys can help me build sort of a large iron some how that I can plug into the wall socket and it heats up to 500 degrees, I only need like a small tube on the end of a metal/wood stick, and the tube gets hot, like a large sideways soldering iron. so I can just move it over the surface of the wood once or twice, throw the ground resin on the wood, and sweep right over, allowing me to work much faster.
>>
>>997373
Rent one of the flame throwers they use for roofing.
>>
>>997378
I borrowed one, and tried on a few test pieces, I kept charring the edges of the wood planks, and it looked like crap.
>>
Bump because i need help still.
>>
If your solution werks in theory, just get 2 or 3 more and cycle them.
>>
I think they make heat guns that can get that high.
>>
>>997767
the problem with that method is, I'm getting a lot of ash/charcoal stuck onto the iron [sticking to the resin] so it then smears to the wood, white/grey and black streaks.

>>997814
I thought about a heat gun, but since I used crushed resin, I'm afraid the blowing action will blow the chips away [like larger then normal grains of salt for size.] if I could some how transfer the heat to an plate/pipe somehow that would be great too. but it would be even harder with a heat gun. I just need to find a REALLY large soldering iron.

actually, maybe I can make one.. I wonder how hot those butane soldering irons can get, maybe I can just get a large section of steel pipe, stuff the end of a propane torch into it, and have the flame directed forward towards a tube/plate.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.