[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a resin is "non-toxic when cured" do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160308_200423.jpg (435KB, 1429x1429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160308_200423.jpg
435KB, 1429x1429px
If a resin is "non-toxic when cured" do you think it would be safe to cast hamster tubes with, even if not "food-grade"? The hamster will be walking on it and licking his paws.
I am considering Polycraft FC6620 Fast-Set Water Clear Polyurethane: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321456950653?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Or an epoxy resin: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331836430786?euid=42e9abbdbb064a6dbd38e603135c1afd&cp=1
>>
>>995204
From what I understand about food grade plastic, its more about breaking down when in contact with food or leaching something not so great into food. That or it holding onto germs and letting them fester if its a reusable plastic cup or something.

I mean it does say non toxic on it, and its not like you are making a water bowl out of it.
>>
>>995204
>£25.00

isn't that like 25 hamsters worth?
>>
>>995398
The habitats always cost tenfold what an actual rat, mouse, hamster, guinea pig and other varmints cost.
>>
>>995204

Safe for the hamsters to run around in. You probably shouldn't eat them after they do so.
>>
>>995426
This. Or maybe test it with a nonpet vermin first.
>>
File: 1374180950139.jpg (54KB, 613x547px) Image search: [Google]
1374180950139.jpg
54KB, 613x547px
>>995208

i worked in a plastics manufacturing plant for 8 years.

there is NO DIFFERENCE between food grade and non. only difference is food grade machines have to be cleaned either per shift or daily (depending if the plastic touches the food or not) as opposed to whenever it runs like shit.

same resins, same process, same dirty ass picking workers handling it. dont pay extra for the same thing, preferably, dont buy plastic, try to make do with something else. i hate plastic, not only because of working with it, but the entire industry, just lies and apathy with pollution/health effects of it, the chemicals used to make "special" films or products contain a number of carcinogens for something as stupid as 5% more gloss.
>>
>>995204
Why does it matter? It's an effing hamster, it has a lifespan of like 2 days; you could feed it plutonium powder and it's natural life span would end before it got cancer.
>>
Armageddon!
>>
>>995204
cute hamster
>>
>non-toxic when cured
Probably safe. Just wash it when you're done molding. Even if the critter chews on it, odds are even if (s)he ingests parts of it it still won't be enough to do any real harm.
>>
>>995442
This. Fuck plastic.
>>
>>995204
Just soak it in a bathtub or some water container for a while.

Source: I have 30+ aquarium fish and you do this with cheap Chinese plastic decorations or other tank stuff.
>>
>>995204
the hamsters WILL chew on it.
this is why it MUST be safe for consumption.
>>
>>995442
They all have toxic additives in them but some have stabler structures that leech less chemicals. Silicone is the safest followed by polyethylene and ABS, but casting resins all seem to leech.

>>995444
This tbqh.
>>
File: richard-gere-2[1].jpg (139KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
richard-gere-2[1].jpg
139KB, 480x360px
>>995204
>>
>>995398
The hamster tubes in stores work out at about £2 per 4 inches which is ridiculous.

>>995426
But what if they lick their feet all the time? (which they do)

>>995442
What material would you suggest instead? Glass?

>>996056
Because of the shape of the tubes it's impossible to chew them from the inside, though the connectors could be so I will be using something else for them, maybe polymorph

>>996067
So even the shop-bought tubes leech chemicals?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.