[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Might not fit /diy/ 100% but it worths give a try. Does any of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: dry-air-1.jpg (438KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dry-air-1.jpg
438KB, 1024x768px
Might not fit /diy/ 100% but it worths give a try.
Does any of you lives in a house with very dry air?
I moved into this studio apartment and I wake up every damn morning with dry mouth. May sound silly, but at weekend if I want to sleep more or stay in bed, I cannot because I feel like having a mask on my mouth that makes difficult to breath. As soon as I stand up, situation gets better, but it is annoying that if I want to rest. A couple of friends of mine that happened to sleep overnight had the same feeling too.
This winter I could put some bowls with water on the radiator and I have also bought an humidifier. Situation got just a little bit better.
Now is getting warmer and I cannot put bowls on radiators anymore and I don't want to spend money on electricity.
I tried buying some plants, but they died in a couple of weeks, I am not good with them.
Funny thing is that I live in a fairly cold city (Berlin) and nowadays I even keep the windows open 24/24. Does this make the sitauation better or worse? Any tip is welcome.
>>
>windows open
Yes that will make it dryer. Or at least increase air circ, making it feel dryer if its not humid.

The colder it gets, the dryer you will feel as well.

Go get a humidifier. The electricity to run it will be pennies compared to building your own rainforest.
>>
>>993492
Have you tried buying a neutral, unperfumed, hypoallergenic moisturizing cream?

Get one with lanolin. Make sure you drink enough water.
>>
>>993507
my problem is not the skin. Sorry, maybe the picture is misleading. Is more dry mouth and breathing issues.
>>
>>993525
What is the humidity? If it's below about 30% you should get a humidifier.

Buy a cheap hydrometer and find out.
>>
Just drink more water
>>
Get another humidifier. They don't cost that much to run, so stop being a cheap ass.

If you're going to be a little bitch about it still, buy an aquarium. This will cost you more than it would to run a humidifier 24/7 for about 10 years.

You can also leave out large dishes of water. Water still evaporates at lower temps, just more slowly.
>>
>>993526
Ok I will buy one and see the results.
>>993528
You mean to buy a second one or a better one?
At the moment I have this
http://www.medisana.com/en/Healthy-Home/Humidifiers/UHW-Humidifier.html

How should I use it at best?
Close all windows and start it?
>>
>>993492
>windows open 24/24

How many days are in a metric week, Toki? I assumed 10, but...

Just joking anon. Try a kettle of water on a hot plate in your room set at about 90°C. Make sure it's big enough to last while you sleep though, could get dangerous.
>>
>>993492
I'm in the same situation. I boil water in the kettle for 5 mins before I go to bed. That humidity lasts for a while if you keep the windows shut.
>>
>>993492
why not just fill a bucket of water... with a towel hanging above it dipping into the water
>>
>>993492
putting wet towels over a radiator works very well
using just 2 i could easily add 10 liters of water to the air every day
and i often had to stop because air humidity reached 75-80%
the downside is that you have to heat and you have to soak the towels in water every 2-3 hours

putting bowls on a radiator should do almost nothing
>>
Look online for an ultrasonic mister cheaper than humidifier to run and takes up less space.
>>
>>993773
I should add that you need to use distilled water with these though
>>
Houseplants can help
>>
First thing you should buy is a humidity meter. You can get it for cheap at every supermarket. Next educate yourself on relative and absolute humidity so you'll know what opening the window does and why it is dry in winter. You'll also know whats a comfortable humidity for you (40-60% percent is healthy for humans, but whether you like to be closer to 40 or 60 is a matter of preference). Then get a humidifier and use it appropiately.
>>
>>993773
Isn't an ultrasonic mister a type of humidifier? I mean, it definitely humidifies.

I don't tend to worry about running a heating type humidifier when it's cold, I figure that any energy it wastes as heat is just helping out the heater.

In summer I use an evaporative cooler to humidity the air if necessary, since it provides a slight cooling effect along with increasing the humidity.
>>
>>993704
>You mean to buy a second one or a better one?
A second one.

How should I use it at best?
Close all windows and start it?

Yes, if you run it with the windows open you are humidifying all of nature. A pretty big task.
>>
>>993869
>ultrasonic mister
This. Isn't the same as humidifier?It makes "mist"
Other problem of my shitty flat is that the water is a bit heavy. I use one of those jugs(?) with filter to drink water and for cooking.
Hope it won't mess up too much with the device.

I'll buy the hydrometer.
Unfortunately tomorrow is a bank holiday, so need to wait a bit.
Thanks for the tips in the meantipe.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.