[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have access to a lot of free gravel and sand. I'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_nolfsejVHk1rwtzqno1_500.png (429KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nolfsejVHk1rwtzqno1_500.png
429KB, 500x750px
I have access to a lot of free gravel and sand.

I'd like to utilize it to make some graveled pathways if possible. What are some methods of making the paths in a way that no vegetation grows from beneath the gravel or at least minimize it to the point where maintenance is easier?

Something relatively permanent would be great, so no 'cides/weed killers which require regular spraying, dont feel like spending cash on that shit.
>>
>>991655
They sell plastic sheeting for that purpose, measure how big your path is going to be, width and length, go to pretty much any hardware store/garden centre and they sell it in a huge roll, you lay that down and then put the gravel on top and you're done.

If you want specific plants to grow through it (say in a garden bed) then just cut a hole in the plastic and plant your plant where the hole is.
>>
>>991678
>plastic sheeting
Thanks m8, seems like just what I need.
>>
>>991689
Just make sure it's the plastic sheeting that's designed to for garden beds, you want it to have holes in it so that water goes through, otherwise you'll end up with pools of water and that won't end well for anyone.
>>
>>991655
2 options I can see,

1 - Rent/buy a vibrating compactor example (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_construction+compaction-equipment) and use it to compact a trail
2 - Get some geofabric or plastic and put it underneath the gravel
>>
>>991655
Don't listen to the plastic bullshit it does not stop even grass from poking through.

Plants will grow. Deal with it. Chemically or physically. But I'm telling you now the plastic is total bs.
>>
>>991655
not plastic, landscape fabric

and yes, plants will get through eventually
>>
Look up geotextile.
>>
Weed mat.
>>
File: weed-flame-500[1].jpg (294KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
weed-flame-500[1].jpg
294KB, 500x500px
>>991750
>Deal with it. Chemically or physically.

I used to live in a house with gravel surround the whole perimeter. In spring when shit would start to pop up in the gravel I'd spray the gravel with the 1 year kill everything herbicide. 1 week later when everything was nice and dead and brown I'd take a weed burner in one hand and a garden hose in the other and burn those fuckers. The hose was in case something bad happened and to clean the ashes off the gravel so that it looked nice. I would sometimes do the same procedure in the fall.

It's really the simplest way. Weed mats don't last long and when they fail it's a bunch of work to replace them. I'd say a few hours a year of easy labor is a better approach.
>>
Trample the spot you are going to sand and gravel till its packed dirt where not much life will grow. Then throw the sand down then the gravel.

Problem solved.

Or be a boss and buy paver stones and lay those down ontop.
>>
>>992000
I can't believe this isn't more of a thing
>>
>>992000
That's the most American thing I've ever heard/seen
>>
File: beer-mholster-blk[1].jpg (150KB, 922x922px) Image search: [Google]
beer-mholster-blk[1].jpg
150KB, 922x922px
>>992159
>That's the most American thing I've ever heard/seen

I don't know why more people don't take this approach. It's good for cleaning the leaves and bugs and shit. Oh, wait. Most people are idiots who will burn their houses down. If you are not an idiot it works great.

It also helps if you have pic related.
>>
>>992509
It wasn't a compliment
>>
>>992537
Being called an American is always a compliment. Your mistake.
>>
>>991689
Plastic sheeting is the way to go, just as long as there's no holes, you won't have to worry about any extremely deep ruts. Although, if the sheeting ever gets exposed and people drive over it, holes will appear and start causing some really deep ruts
>>
File: weeds_4382j4.jpg (388KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
weeds_4382j4.jpg
388KB, 1280x960px
>>992159
>That's the most American thing I've ever heard/seen
Not that guy, but anyway:

I have noticed online that (it seems like) Americans have a very casual attitude towards using pesticides and herbicides, compared to a lot of other first-world people. (and I am a yank myself)

We had a UK guy on here once who had roaches or ants or whatever, and he was asking for something to get rid of them.
People suggested just going and paying an exterminator, or buying some spray poison, and the guy was like "oh, I dont want to use anything toxic. I want something natural"

Well, really now. BUGS are natural! Bugs everywhere, running, flying and nesting everywhere that they possibly can,,,,,,, is natural. You got nature already, and you don't like it.

If you've got bugs and want them gone, 1st remove anything that might be attracting them, and 2nd--just kill the fucking bugs.
Nature/bugs/weeds is mostly nice and all but sometimes you gotta lay waste to a small part of it for your own convenience, so take your testicles out of your purse and start killing.
Your ancestors been doing it for thousands of years; it's why you are here now. You are already a guilty party.

-------

Also: the weeds get through the plastic sheeting.
I'm another who says get some vegetation killer spray, hose the whole area once, and then spot-spray every month or so. It's quick, quiet, easy to do and it works.
>>
Did I touch a nerve?
>>
>>991655
Deprive the path of sunlight.
>>
>>992000
>>992154
>>992159

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghszelPPuU
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.