[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the cheapest conceivable way to become a homeowner in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: great depression.jpg (215KB, 530x400px) Image search: [Google]
great depression.jpg
215KB, 530x400px
What the cheapest conceivable way to become a homeowner in the Pacific Northwest? I'm assuming it would be buy land in the middle of nowhere and build your own minimum viable house, correct? How cheap can you go?
>>
>I'm assuming it would be buy land in the middle of nowhere and build your own minimum viable house, correct?
no. I have no idea why you'd think that, it's retarded.
>>
>>987355
Then how would you do it?
>>
>>987357
Buy a shit house on a shit streey
>>
>>987357
buy a cheap house that needs work you can do yourself cheaply.
>>
>>987362
>>987363
How cheap are we talking here?

What if I built a cuck shed in the middle of nowhere?
>>
>>987365
Captain Sweden plz go.
>>
>>987368
No, I'm serious. It wouldn't have to be nice, but it would be a place for me and my gf to live.
>>
>>987370
I've thought about the same thing. It might be interesting, but if you ever plan on getting married and having kids, you probably need a bigger house.
>>
>>987370
you're seriously retarded.
>>
>>987370
property ownership and house building doesn't work that way

grow up
>>
>>987351
The cheapest way to do it would be to buy a caravan.
>>
File: hobbit-house-6.gif (385KB, 615x890px) Image search: [Google]
hobbit-house-6.gif
385KB, 615x890px
>>987351
Don't listen to all these sheep.
You can build with stone, cob, wood and scavenged materials just fine and very cheap. In fact, you can manage to build something much more comfy and beautiful than most of the fragile garbage that is sold as houses in the US.
It's best to stay small and off grid. One or two rooms, rain water collection, a good wood stove (you can try to combine heating cooking and hot water in one stove), composting toilet, solar panels, maybe an efficient wind turbine or micro hydroelectric if possible.
For a few grand you could even get yourself internet a bit down the road and continue to shitpost on 4chan from your comfy handmade earth hut.

You have to be dedicated, teach yourself a lot of new things, be willing to basically camp on your land for months or even a year or two with very little modern comfort... You gotta get all the necessary tools and a vehicle to transport things like a pickup truck would make things a LOT easier.

Check out this guy
http://www.beingsomewhere.net/
>This is a house I built for our family in Wales. It was built by myself and my father in law with help from passers by and visiting friends. 4 months after starting we were moved in and cosy. I estimated 1000-1500 man hours and £3000 in materials. Not really so much in house buying terms (roughly £60/sq m excluding labour).

If you got any specific questions, feel free to ask. I've seen and helped building different adobe houses.
>>
just for the love of all that is holy don't raise kids in bumfuck nowhere. for their sake.
>>
>>987351

USDA Rural loan. Got my first place about an hour from seattle for 100k on .25 acre.

Plan to work it over then rent it out in a year or two
>>
>>987674
Ditto. But an hour outside of Portland maine and 130K but I got lake access and .5 more acres
>>
>>987537
>>987674
>>987675
So it seems like land would be the primary cost then. I wonder how doable it would be to weasel oneself into a sub-50k plot.
>>
>>987910
Check on Craigslist. It's very region dependant and there very little relevance between them.
>>
>>987537
1500 man hours at 14.50 an hour (average pay of construction workers)
And convert the 3000 pounds to dollars
Means that home cost $26,000 without land
>>
File: builders.jpg (58KB, 390x500px) Image search: [Google]
builders.jpg
58KB, 390x500px
>>987947
That's not the way you think if you go into some rural area to live off grid.
Building something like this is for people with more time than money.
It is not the same as working as a construction worker or paying one to build it for you.
It is a rewarding and powerful experience to build up a beautiful house you can comfortably live in with your own hands.
And it doesn't cost you $26k, it costs you £3k and 1500 man hours.
When I'm working with cob and wood, I often spend even more time than necessary to make fine details, wood connections without screws and nails, laying patterns or other "time consuming" work.
In the end, you live in a piece of artwork, where you know every little piece of wood and that is exactly the way you need and want it to be.
>>
>>987964
Well, stop being a hippy and get a real job
Then suddenly your time becomes valuable.
If you want a cheap home go somewhere where the population has been steadily declining for a decade, like a town that was supported by a single factory that went out of business or a place that was once a good place to raise a family but now the residents are all in their 80s and dying off
Can get a 4 bedroom home for 40k and local governments might even give you a grant or low interest loan to help buy it
>>
>>988021
My time is valuable and I can make it into money if I want to.
But I rather spend my time on my own projects, than sell it to someone else and buy the same things (often with less quality) from someone else.
Furthermore I don't want a habitat that is not designed by myself to find my personal needs. Nothing to do with hippies.
Why don't you go to /biz/ if you frown upon people who hand craft their own homes instead of buying some used crap or paying someone else to build it?
>>
>>988064
Love building things myself I just don't think you can count the cost of building a home while ignoring labor
>>
>>987351

Ran prieur's house blog is something you should read. He's a cheap, 30-year unemployed motherfucker

http://www.ranprieur.com/me/house.html

He attempted to do an off-the-grid permaculture land build before switching to housemode

ranprieur.com/land.html

more details on the house there too
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(9).jpg (181KB, 716x550px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(9).jpg
181KB, 716x550px
>>988021
Time is valuable. Its a limited resource you can't buy time. This is why its important not to waste it being a slave. So enjoy your "real job" being a slave to it. Keep thinking hard boring work is some how helping society.
>>
Nice thread. Im saving for enough to get some land and build a geodesic dome to live in, probably start with 2 domes, 6 and 7 meters diameter. Then i would add on in the future.

I figure about 25k usd could do it, with a few seasons of camping/building by me and the odd helpers.

Id love to snag a burnt out house with an intact basement. Chuck the dome on top
>>
>>988551
>Time is valuable, you can't buy time.
Of course you can buy time. That is literally what a job is. Work is measured in man hours. The more people you have working, the faster work gets done (to some limits)

You can't dig a well? I guess it's time to start reading. And training. And buying equipment. And you failed your first time.....

Oh, or you could just pay someone to do it. You transfer a couple hours of your work to them with money, and they come and do what would take you MONTHS in half a day.

Bam you just bought time.

DIY and shit and your hobbies and whatever, fun, yeah fine.

Time IS valuable, don't waste it teaching yourself to be a jack of all trades, master of none. You will literally spend your entire life and when you're in your prime earning years in yours 50s... You'll be highly qualified to be a farm hand. Not even a farm manager, a farm hand, making a fat $25/hour.

Specialize, capitalism and civilization, and happiness is built on it. Yes happiness doesn't automatically come out of it. We're unhappy because our mothers and fathers beat us and our parents and grandparents have been deeply scarred by a century of the most horrific wars the planet has seen and the constant threat of complete obliteration while you sleep. You know the US army selected for smart people and sent them all to die in the wars? Then after world war 2 they started training all the empathy, compassion, and happiness out of them, literally breaking their minds.

It's not the fault of capitalism or a society where people specialize in skills.
>>
>>988684

This guy gets it. You all need to browse the ran prieur page. Especially "How To Drop Out"

You need to be objective about your goals and the optimal path to getting there. Moralizing every choice will ruin you (trying to be pure)

The reality is that most DIY stuff should be considered a hobby.

The true path to freedom is simple anti-consumption, not slaving over your silly 10"x10" garden plot thinking it's going to feed you for a year

I've worked office jobs that paid ~$40k, and lived on only $10k per year. That kind of savings after tax has led to me being 30 and having had 3 full years of no-work freedom under my belt.

The absolute simple method:

* extremely cheap shared apartment in urban downtown
* a reliable, cheap bicycle with a rack and panniers that you know how to fix
* willingness to cook every single meal you eat
* cancelling every single media service you have (including internet) and dropping the smart phone.

In 2013 I was splitting a 1 BR with a girl for $250 a month in a safe neighborhood. Spent every day cooking, working out, and reading books. I had enough extra money to travel to south america twice. This was on a $15,000 budget for the year
>>
>>988866

(cont.)

Absolute required reading about money:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Retirement-Extreme-Philosophical-Independence/dp/145360121X

Absolute required reading about food:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health-Diet-Regain-Weight/dp/1451699158

Suggested reading for outside-the-box-thinking inspiration (and crime)

http://www.crimethinc.com/books/evasion.html

These three and some pots and pans and you can live the dream until you decide you want to have a family and sell out
>>
>>988684

pretty much this, i purchased my first house 2 years ago now, its a tip and im renovating it. at first i wanted to do it all myself, but there are things (plastering being a good example) that its just not cost effective to do yourself.

some things take so long to do properly that im financially better off just working more and paying someone with the added bonus of a guaranteed good job.
>>
I'd target small towns away from the coast. Generally, the places with worse job prospects have very cheap housing. Then, buy it on a mortgage and rent it out if you can, plowing all the cash into paying it off. Congrats, you now own it.

Lots of issues with this plan, though. The choice of location is critical, it has to be a happy medium between fat far enough away to be cheap and close enough to something to still be of some value as a rental unit.

It's better than building yourself, though since building something yourself in the middle of nowhere has problems because of the distances. You have to carry you and your materials to the site each time and there also may be more possibility of theft, as well as other logistical issues.

But really, you must examine why you are doing this. Do you want to live there eventually? Do you want to resell it for a profit? Do you want a simple place to just get away from it all on the weekends?

If it'll be a full time living situation, you must consider what to do about income. You won't be able to commute and you will need some money coming in. In fact, the income question is probably more critical than the housing question.

Just my 2 cents. I've enacted my own escape plan so I've been thinking about these types of plans for a long while.
>>
File: 1461999401914.jpg (35KB, 960x852px) Image search: [Google]
1461999401914.jpg
35KB, 960x852px
>>988021
Wow, so he has a real argument and your comeback is literally just stop being a hippie, conform to my norms and standards, and stop bothering my incredibly closed minded ideals because if its different that's faggotry because it scares me?

I bet you're a really smart intellectually sound person and not just some retarded skinhead that works a 9 to 5 and can't see passed his incredibly small world view.

Assassinate introspectively.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.