[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the cheapest way to block sun out of a room? I started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: dark-home-tints.jpg (7KB, 316x159px) Image search: [Google]
dark-home-tints.jpg
7KB, 316x159px
What is the cheapest way to block sun out of a room?

I started a new job working nights and it's pretty hard to sleep with any light in my bedroom.

I don't think blackout curtains will keep out enough light
>>
Lawn bags - $1.60 for a pack of 5
Duct tape - $4 a roll
>>
-Double up curtains
-tape cardboard over windows

Next time ask in the QTDDTOT
>>
File: image.jpg (555KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
555KB, 1500x1500px
>>981384
If keeping heat out is no concern, pic related might be enough.
>>
>>981394
>tape cardboard over windows

I thought that was just for twelve year old vampires.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (13KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
13KB, 183x275px
Sheet of OSB over your window bay. Paint one side black to display and fix it internally so your neighbours don't think you're a total reprobate.
>>
>>981394
It's a common question so it's thread worthy as many people have different ideas. Lurk more.
>>
>>981399
>>981394
Nobody reads the QTDDTOT thread, it's a waste of time anyway.

All he did was bump off another container thread anyway
>>
>>981384
>>
>thumbtacks
>towels
how is this /diy/
>>
>>981384
My blackout curtains do a fine job of blocking sun during the day. The only noticeable light that gets through is around the edges of the curtain and not through it, which could be solved by placing them better and making more of a seal if need be.
>>
>>981384
cheapest? Get anything you have handy that light can't penetrate ( aluminium foil, cardboard, dense fabric) and tape it over your windows.

>>981395
This is probably your best option though, means you don't have to fuck up your house and still gets it pitch black, just takes a day or two to get used to something being on your face as you sleep.
>>
>>981384
My wife used to work nights. We have cheap blinds AND a cheap curtain. Both from Wal-Mart and about $50 total.

You could also use some of the black plastic that they use as a vapor barrier under houses and rig it up with painter's tape as a temporary solution. Duct tape will fuck up your walls.
>>
>>981384
Tape your cum socks and rags to the window.

Don't want the world seeing the faint glow from your computer screen as you jerk off to traps and Boi pussy?
>>
>>981427

I agree with this anon. Tin foil is the way to go. Grab a roll of it and some tape at your local $1 store. Cheap, effective.
>>
>>981384
You want blackout shades. They're pricey but worth it. You'll need the dimensions of the window opening, specifically width. The good ones come with side tracks to help seal light from the edges.

Anything else like foil or cardboard just makes your place look and FEEL like a shithole.

You can also get away with an extending tension bar and a some blackout drapes. The tension bar will hold the curtain inside the window frame without permanent fixture installation. Ideal if your shift work is only occassional. It will also keep light from escaping out the top and sides of the curtain from traditionally hung curtain rods

>sauce
> 3rd shift worker for thirteen years with a $375k home in the midwest, no fucking foil is getting put up on my walls.
>>
>>981509
> 3rd shift worker for thirteen years with a $375k home in the midwest, no fucking foil is getting put up on my walls.

Wow anon you're so cool I can't wait to grow up and be like you
>>
>>981384
Properly installed blackout curtains will cut out 100% of sunlight.You need expensive ones with side rails to eradicate cracks of light.
>>
>>981384
Blackout curtains and garbage bags
>>
>>981509
Note that the OP said cheapest and not best looking. I don't think he cares about how good it looks if it costs money. Otherwise he could just get external roller shutters that give added security, block out 100% of the sunlight and also stop the heat from coming it too.
>>
>>981388
This op, I use a couple 30 gallon trash bags myself.. Put them behind the blinds, and curtains.. sometimes I forget the sun is a thing.

Thinking back, you should put them over the blinds so that you don't look like a shut in to the neighbors
>>
>>981384
buy some black cloth from the fabric store. hang it over our windows. it's not that hard
>>
I use a white blackout curtain closest to the window, and a black curtain behind that to make the room even darker. This also helps with keeping heat outside.
>>
Smash the windows, that'll stop the light getting in.
>>
easy way is to slightly wet the window with water and then put tin foil over it. easily removed and works like a charm. also helps to keep the room cozily cool in summer.
>>
>>981992
This but the neighbours will assume you are growing pot and will report you to the fuzz.
>>
Black trash bags
You're mom will love it
>>
>>981384
I put an old comforter (blanket) over the curtains and then leaned a shotgun and rifle over each side to seal it up.

Dark and ready home protection. You could use a 2x4 or anything, though.
>>
construction paper works pretty well. White on the window side to reflect light to keep it cool, black on the room side to block any remaining light. Then I have some curtains over that.

t. night shifter

>>981926
this sounds like it would work well also
>>
>>981384
Did this to my room for filming purposes. Cardstock and painters tape.
>>
>>981384
Blackout curtains are the best option, as long as they are big enough. Other options(ie tin Foil) will work as well, but like other anons pointed out, they are ugly and also more difficult to open up.

If this is your bedroom, spend a couple more bucks. It's where you spend a third of your life (or more) so it pays to have a good quality of life when you are in there. For me that means having the option to open my windows when I want to, (I love the smell of rain, and the feeling of fresh air) or open the curtains when you do want a little sunshine.
>>
screw some kind of board to the window.
>>
>>981384
Aluminum foil. I put aluminum foil on my server room windows one summer when the AC broke. Just sprayed the windows with water and put the foil. The room was absolutely dark without the lights on, you could only see the server lights. I liked it so much I kept it like that even after I fixed the AC. It has been like that for 3 years.
>>
>trash bags
>aluminum foil

OP please dont be a cheap ass nigger. Spend a few extra bucks and get some Eclipse brand curtains. They work very well.
>>
>>981994
Meh, call em. I am the fuzz and I'm sure as shit not spending good money on good blackout curtains in an apartment I only aim to stay in for another year.
>>
>>981384
Paint the glass. Remove paint later with razor blade when you move out.
>>
>>984779
I need you and someone else to confirm this for cooling reasons as I also have a server room that needs everything it can get

I was considering a small portable ac unit in some far off future
>>
>>981427
When I was working thirds, the face mask was a god send. Even with my room totally dark, the pressure from the mask was kind of a signal to my brain that it was time to sleep.

Don't forget the ear plugs.
>>
>>985684
What do you mean by confirm?
I'm the guy with the tin foiled server room.

During the time my AC was broken (aprox 2 weeks) I tin foiled the windows. Two normal ones with another smaller one on top. The temperature difference was noticeble, I mean without the tin foil the room was boiling, as for the 1st half of the day the sun was shining directly on the server rack. The fans were going like crazy. After the tin foil it was still kind of hot but it was bearable and the server fans were doing ok. I like cooler temperatures, as I usually keep around 22 degrees celsius in the server room or at home, during the summer.
So the tin foil could help your server cool down, but not as much, I recommend cleaning and oiling the fans, maybe throw some compressed air inthere too. A portable AC unit would also work, but they tend to flood the water tray if they're functioning all night with no one to empty it.
>>
File: BottomBinCloseUp[1].jpg (383KB, 912x684px) Image search: [Google]
BottomBinCloseUp[1].jpg
383KB, 912x684px
>>985752
>The temperature difference was noticeble, I mean without the tin foil the room was boiling, as for the 1st half of the day the sun was shining directly on the server rack

A few years ago I was working on my RV and it was like an oven. I got some pic related and it kept it easily 20F cooler and blocked all light. I made covers that fit exactly in the windows with friction so they are super easy to put on and take off.
>>
>>981384
>I don't think blackout curtains will keep out enough light
Blackout curtains block so much light that you need instruments to detect what gets through; what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
Put your matress in the hall and close all the doors.
>>
screw cheap, get electrochromic glass put in.

turn a dial and the glass changes tint, or can go completely opaque.
>>
>>981384

I use some crap mylar blankets to block sun/shoot back extra hhe to help keep the room cooler. I than use garbage bags...shit, you can even use tinfoil too.
>>
One nice thing about aluminium foil, is that you can scratch a hole in the middle, and create a camera obscura on the opposite wall. You can experiment with the shape of the hole, make it a vertical slit, a horizontal slit. and the diameter of it- smaller gets better focus, larger gets brighter image. Loads of fun!
>>
I work 3rd shift, about to leave for work and I use huge foam panels with reflective material on them. They keep my master bedroom cool as fuck during the day and they block out everything. Like $1.50 at lowes for huge foam panels that could probably cover 2 windows.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.