[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The spring is here, and I want to plant some vegetables to grow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: homegrown-vegetables.jpg (79KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
homegrown-vegetables.jpg
79KB, 550x412px
The spring is here, and I want to plant some vegetables to grow on my apartment's balcony. It's a rather tiny balcony - maybe 2x2 meters (7x7 feet roughly).

What could I grow on this balcony, and how should I organize everything to grow as many vegs as possible? Should I make a special shelf?

And what vegetables could grow well in Western Europe?
>>
Potatoes, Yams, Beans, and Green Beans.
>>
>>961102
>what crops grow well in western europe
kek. thanks anon.

the answer is anything. except for what is considered, tropical fruit. for a balcony try climbers. since you dont even know what grows, try tomatos for your first go. probably cherry to make it worth your while. romas are cheap as shit, carrots are cheap. potatos cost 1$/kg here. sweet peas are also great home grown.
>>
>>961102
see
>>>/out/705361
>>
>>961102
plant stuff in plastic storage tote?

or perhaps 5 gallon buckets

other people have suggested lettuces for things like that...cabbage/romain/etc.
>>
>>961165
>get BPA poisoned
>>
>>961172
there are different types of plastics

and reference a study from credible source that supports that claim
>>
>>961204
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/sya-bpa/
Another reason for concern, especially for parents, may be because some animal studies report effects in fetuses and newborns exposed to BPA.

Read more at: http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/sya-bpa/

Also bpa free shit isn't any better. It's still nasty and leaching into your body, there just hasn't been a public outcry yet
>>
>>961102
Veggies require a lot of space.

I would prioritize herbs over veg. They are much harder to use up in the quantities you can buy, they don't keep fresh once harvested, and they need little care or watering. Avoid coriander for starters, those always die.

Potatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots are easy. Roots in general should work fine. Leek could be more problematic.

If you want to economize and not just have a fun project I suggest you get a good vegetable gardening book that will tell you what needs which soil, how much watering, likes to grow next to each other or doesn't, and how long it takes. That way you can plan ahead and stagger your planting to maximize use of seasonal light and edible dinners. You won't enjoy five weeks of potatoes followed by three weeks of carrots.

Also don't use flower soil. that stuff is full of useless petrochemical fertilizer and often herbicides to keep moss from sprouting on the fertilizer. Ideally you mix compost, sand, clay, and ground shells in layers according to each plant's needs. But compost might be hard to come by.

Alnatura sells an affordable sprouting glass for raising your own breakfast sprouts. It works really well for sprouting other seeds as well. Makes it easy to wash them every day and keeps them drip-dry.
>>
>>961241
>Veggies require a lot of space.

Not really.
>>
>>961253
Not violate rules?

There are far more competent boards for that.
>>
>>961259
I meant tobacco. Like menthol, Swisher sweet stuff.
>>
I have a big pot on my porch with strawberries growing in it. You have to fertilize a lot but they make good strawberries all year. Then they just go dormant in the winter and come back in the spring. Gets to about -10 Fahrenheit here.
Sorry, not sure what type of strawberry it is exactly.
>>
>>961207
>>961204
>>961172
>>961165
I should be noted that the reason people don't want to use BPA is because BPA just so happens to be more studied than other compounds in plastics.

So, they get rid of BPA, but replace it with other chemicals that are less studied. As time goes on, some of these get studied better and lo and behold they are just as bad as BPA. Even plastics that never used BPA have similar problems.

If yo wish to become more plastic free in your life start using other materials. Terracotta planters are a good. Wooden planters are also good.

The basic thing you need to ask yourself is, "Do the chemicals this leaches help to sustain or improve my health in anyway?" If the answer is, "no," perhaps you should consider not using it.
>>
File: Pumpkinvine Feeding Time.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pumpkinvine Feeding Time.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>961132
>>961132
>>961132
>>961132
>>961132
>>
On occasion i grow some simple vegies and plants on my balcony. Stuff like garlic, onions, tiny tomatoes.
Nothing too complex since my balcony is quite small as well. I also grow a few tea plants, mins, catnip for my cat.
The the thing is, you cant grow enough to have a full meal ever. The surface area is just too small. So i grow a few flavor plants that i mix in with some store stuff. The garlic and onions i grow are a fair bit hotter tho and i quite like that. They are perfect for sauces and things you want spicy. You can maximize your space by going up instead of out.
Put a few shelves up, and have a few levels, 3-4 a baby tomato only need about half a meter of space in height, this will triple the area you work with.
Forget about crops they won't play off unless you have a few acers of balcony to go around.
Europe has a very temperate climate so anything will work unless your in fucking Norway. In that case just grow black metal in your home garden.
>>
>>961207
that's not a study showing dangerous levels of BPA being found in plants, leeched from a container
>>
Even if you don't like Matt Damon, he does a good job in the movie Martian, demonstrating how to grow potatoes in buckets of your own poo.

Everyone in eastern europe, especially india, should watch this movie.
>>
>>961492
You should have paid attention. The only reason Watney can utilize human feces as fertilizer without catching a bunch of cholera is that it is his own poo and that of his crewmates who were all immune against each other's infections due to years of training, hab simulations, and the long flight. They had pretty much all tasted each other's poo in miniscule amounts often enough to not get infected.

This does not work for large populations. Also it smells really bad. Better collect your poo in a drainage, filter out the water, and let the bacteria do their work far away from your nose. Then burn what remains and compost your garden with grass cuttings and autumn leaves.
>>
>>961501
>The only reason Watney can utilize human feces as fertilizer without catching a bunch of cholera is that it is his own poo and that of his crewmates who were all immune against each other's infections due to years of training, hab simulations, and the long flight

No, it was because the shit was freeze dried which killed "most" of the microbes in it. You don't become immune to things in shit. You just get dysentery.

Composting and biomethane & high nitrogen fertilizer are the best uses.
>>
>>961511
No, it was not freeze dried, just frozen. It was in sealed bags.

Had it been disinfected it would have been useless to Watney. He needed the nitrogen fixing abilities of the microbes. Dead it's just smelly dust.
>>
>>961527
>“The crew’s waste was all completely desiccated, freeze-dried, and then dumped out on the surface of Mars and bagged,” Weir says. “Any pathogens in there would have been dead.”

The only place he could get microbes was off the skins of the seed potatoes.
>>
>>961538
We were discussing Matt Damon, Not Andy Weir.
>>
>>961543
>Watney rehydrated his crew’s feces and mixed it with his own. That way, he could take advantage of the nitrates and other elements from the crew’s feces, and still have the bacteria from his own feces into it. “So what he ended up with was a big tub of shit that only has his pathogens,” Weir says. Good advice if you’re ever stuck on Mars.
>>
>>961501
It's you who should have paid more attention. Racists like you say "haul my poo away to be someone else's problem where I don't have to smell it" and "get me some slave labor to grow food for me cuz i don't wanna get my hands dirty"
Man-up and take responsibility for your actions. Your poo came out of you, and it ain't gonna hurt you to put it back in.

OP didn't say i wanna grow and sell vegetable, this is DIY. OP wants to grow and eat his own.

I don't want none of your infected herpes waste going into my food, and more importantly into my water supply. that water used to carry your poo through the sewer to the sewage plant gets filtered and sent back to your house with everyone's pathogens in it.

MY poo MY responsibility. My water My responsibility. My food My responsibility.

I'd rather drink my own piss that drink city water that was used to carry turds like you through the sewer.
>>
>>961501
the thing people always fuck up is the amount of nitrates. very little nitrate is needed.my compost pile has been sitting at 60C for the past two weeks and it's just two catcher loads of grass clippings and a bale of straw
>>
File: download (7).png (721KB, 664x1563px) Image search: [Google]
download (7).png
721KB, 664x1563px
>>961562
even with programs to teach mexicans not to poop in the fields, they still poop in the fields.
>>
>>961565
trust no one. if you didn't grow it, don't eat it.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/What-We-Do/Global-Health/Enteric-and-Diarrheal-Diseases
>>
>>961555
>Even if you don't like Matt Damon, he does a good job in the movie Martian, demonstrating how to grow potatoes in buckets of your own poo.
>>
>>961572
gamma rays from the sun could theoretically sterilize poop. no idea about the intensity or duration required. know they use it for sterilizing food and medical equipment.
>>
with or without the poo, here's a tip for growing potatoes.

drill some drain holes in a plastic trash can or barrel.
place about 12 inches of dirt in the can and plant your starters.

when the plants get 10 inches tall
add more soil halfway up the plant.

again, when the plant gets 10 inches tall
bury half of it with more soil, and repeat until the barrel is nearly full of soil

this process allows the plant to grow 8 times the normal yield of potatoes. in the same sqft of floor space. some other types of plants can be tricked into higher yields by reburying as well, but potatoes are the most proven and reliable.

cut the greens and kick the barrel over on a fishing net to harvest.
>>
>>961618
>>961555

I'd certainly wouldn't have had the potatoes come in contact with the feces at any one point. I would have made a methane digester. Then used the high nitrogen fertilizer from that process on the crops. Plus, I could have used the bio-methane to pasteurize the liquid fertilizer. The feces/urine would have gone much further this way and released even more nitrogen than standard composting can and far far more than what could have been released through the movie's method.

Of course, that doesn't mean I could apply more nitrogen to the crops. If I did, they'd not grow tubers. Instead I'd get all kinds of wild top growth and little tuber growth. But, I wouldn't be infecting myself with, "my own pathogens". Just because it comes out of you, doesn't mean it goes anyplace else back into you.
>>
>>961281
But the plastic planters are oh so cheap.
>>
>>961644
How does enough sunlight get into the barrel to grow the plant?
>>
OP, you're Russian, aren't you? How's commieblock life treating you?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.