[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Needs a new IMA batt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 24-pack-junc-end-sticks-expose.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
24-pack-junc-end-sticks-expose.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
Just bought a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid.

Needs a new IMA battery (fancy that).

Looking for the cheapest possible solution; have seen a lot of articles and info otherwise around the web suggesting a DIY fix is not only possible, but significantly cheaper.

This source seems helpful: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-solutions-honda-hybrid-battery-problems-insight-civic-13610.html

any of you dealt with this sort of thing before? Looking for all the tips I can get. I plan to do this myself (:P)
>>
Do you have a multimeter and tools? are the batterys marked with make and type? If so then yes, you should be able to repair it yourself
>>
>>952573
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM
>>
>>952573
Unless there is some sort of microcontroller in the pack(s), similar to what a laptop battery has, that will brick the entire pack if you de-power it (by disconnecting the cells), then it should just be a matter of replacing all the cells with the same part number, preferably from the same manufacturer. Theoretically, that is.
>>
>>952573
Mechanic fag here,
OP be very careful about the battery in general, if you do decide to take it apart. Will absolutely kill you.
Also don't use a cheap multimeter, the high voltage will arc through the probes & into hands.
Find the battery disconnect switch and go for it, I always wanted to take a dead prius taxi battery apart.
>>
this is legitimately the type of thing you probably shouldn't do if you don't know what your doing.

Large banks of batteries have alot of saftey quirks, Ideally you would be some kind of combination electronics/industrial electrician to work on that stuff. Unless you had some kind of hands on experience with someone familiar or had loads of different kinds of electricial/electronic experience I'm going to vote 'Don't do this unless you have very good insurance and a lack of self preservation'
>>
>>953154
low voltage high amps, kek
>>
Make sure it's not just a sensor.

GF had that same car and swapped the battery only to find out it was a damn sensor.
>>
>>954828
>>953154

Christ, just don't.

The batteries are not low voltage. They're 140-160V (approx.) depending on what model you have. That's plenty high enough to be dangerous, but it's nowhere the multi-kV range required to "arc through the probes & into hands". Even the jankest, nastiest, most cheapest, most Chinese probes would be technically good for at least ~2kV (not that I would test my luck) simply by virtue of the fact that they're plastic and a few mm thick.

The cheapest you could realistically hope for is to find another battery from a scrapped hybrid/electric. If you find one that's been crashed and junked, the battery is still pretty likely to be in good, working order.

All that being said...>>953260 has a valid point. Battery banks like this are quite dangerous until the cells have been disconnected from each other. They're capable of a lot of amps under short circuit and have plenty of volts to keep it going or just electrocute your ass outright.
>>
>>954860
>The batteries are not low voltage. They're 140-160V (approx.)

That is low voltage (50vdc-1000vdc). High is 1000vdc+. Extra low is under 50vdc.
>>
>>955054
oops, i gave VAC ratings not VDC ratings which are over 1500 high, 120–1500low, under 120 extra low
>>
>>955054

It's all relative, smartass. 12V is "high voltage" in the world of digital electronics. 1000V is your "low-voltage primary" to anyone working with Tesla coils and other crap that generates voltages high enough to start ionizing things not generally willing to be ionized.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's liable to kill your average person without a concerted effort, it's high voltage.

(If the electrons are angry enough to literally jump through the air and/or whatever else just to have a go at your bitch ass, that's called "Australian voltage", if anyone was wondering.)
>>
I don't know about civic hybrids but there are a number of companies that will take Prius batteries, test them, and replace any bad cells. I imagine they could do the same for civic battery packs, but they might have to order the batteries.
>>
>>955060
>(If the electrons are angry enough to literally jump through the air and/or whatever else just to have a go at your bitch ass, that's called "Australian voltage", if anyone was wondering.)

lol
>>
http://www.homepower.com/articles/vehicles/hybrids/rebuilding-hybrid-vehicle-battery-pack
>>
>He bought an old hybrid with shit batteries

FUCKING
KEK
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.