[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do radio transmitter amplifiers work? Do they just multiply

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: DB11-061.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DB11-061.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How do radio transmitter amplifiers work? Do they just multiply the voltage in the antenna?
And what's the simplest design out there?
>>
Voltage and/or current, yes.
>>
>>951268
Pardon my ignorance, but won't changing the current distort the amplitude of the radio wave?
>>
>>951263
how about how does range work
>>
>>951263
More specifics?
>Frequency?
>Mode?
>>
>>951281
There's generally a high pass filter before the antenna which removes any DC component of the signal.
>>
>>951351
Does only amplifying the current, without amplifying the voltage, lead to a more powerful radio signal?
Won't it just increase the amplitude of the radio wave, without increasing its strength?
>>
>>951356
Honestly, I have no idea. I'm an undergrad in EE right now and while I intend on going to grad school for electromagnetics/ RF I don't know much about it at this point.

I was going to try to use Maxwell's eqns for time varying fields to derive some hypothetical for you, but honestly I dont know how correct it'd be.
>>
>>951356
>increase the amplitude of the radio wave, without increasing its strength
???
>>
>>951404
Aren't radio wave amplitude and radio signal strength different things?
>>
File: LNA_schematic_04.gif (4KB, 407x298px) Image search: [Google]
LNA_schematic_04.gif
4KB, 407x298px
>>951263
Read this brah
http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2013/oct/understanding-the-basics-of-low-noise-and-power-amplifiers-in-wireless-designs
>>
>>951416
Yes, signal strength is defined by the signal to noise ratio (SNR). So if the noise power is high but the signal power is low (low SNR), the "radio signal strength" would be low

source: RF receiver engineer
>>
>>951356
For a given load (antenna), you generally can't amplify one without the other.
>>
>>951421
This is wrong. Signal strength and SNR are different things. Signal strength is a measure of either received signal power or local signal intensity, depending on the context, while SNR is a ratio between this signal strength and the strength of background noise/interference.
>>
>>951504
Radio frequency amplifiers tend to only multiply the voltage, though. Check linear amplifiers, for example.
>>
>>951552
The output matching/filtering tends to hide that, if you aren't too much off from the nominal load impedance. Output voltage rises when you increase the load impedance, within reason.
>>
>>951356
>amplifying the current, without amplifying the voltage
literally can't be done
>>951552
>only multiply the voltage
ditto
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.