[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /diy/ I'm currently trying to convert my old keyboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160218_192950.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160218_192950.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
sup /diy/

I'm currently trying to convert my old keyboard into a MIDI guitar pedalboard, but I figured the keys would be too small for my feet so I'm planning to put some washers on top of the keys. But what should i do so that the washer would stay on the keys? Tried superglue but it doesnt work. pic related.

TLDR : how to stick metal washer on keyboard keys
>>
Don't do this. Get an arduino, some real DPDT switches and make a MIDI controller with it. It will be easier and more reliable than what you're attempting to do.
>>
>>948494
i have no backgroud whatsoever in electronics (cant even solder for shit) so thats not really an option
>>
File: DEVCONEPOXIES2[1].png (119KB, 453x302px) Image search: [Google]
DEVCONEPOXIES2[1].png
119KB, 453x302px
Damn. This is DIY as fuck.

"Superglue" is absolute shit for anything other than repairing broken pottery and the occasional plastic model kit.

Two-part epoxy will hold fucking any thing to any other fucking thing. Grab one that lists both plastic and metal on the packaging. Should be about $5.
>>
>>948490
Start by cleaning the damn thing.
>>
>>948576
jesus christ. how about you try and learn to be an adult.
>>
>>948490
Clean that keyboard you disgusting swine
>>
>>948703
because most adults know how to program microcontrollers

>>948490
get a flat disk for more surface area, sand both sides and 2-part epoxy that bitch
>>
>>948703
>>948494
Literally the cancer killing /diy/. Fuck off you useless cunts.

>>948490
Why washers? can you get some plastic jar lids or something that you can readily glue on? I mean you could epoxy the shit out of the washers but a plastic on plastic bond with the appropriate glue will be much more rugged.
>>
>>948490
It's not going to work very well even if you figure out a way to glue the washers on to the keycaps perfectly. You know the wires under longer keys? Those are called stabilizers. They ensure the key doesn't just pivot around the stem when you press it off-center. Your washers will make this a major issue: pressing on the edges will almost certainly not result in a keypress. Unless you figure out your own stabilizer mechanism, I agree with >>948494 that you should get real switches.
>>
>>948887
Why is it cancerous to suggest using an arduino to do what he's trying to do? There are millions of similar projects and they're really simple, even for a beginner.
>>
>>948914
not the guy you were replying too, I dont even hate arduino.. But arduinos are a total ripoff. its literally $5 worth of components.

here, watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNIMCdVOHOM
>>
>>948924

Get the 5$ chinese arduinos.
>>
>>948914
Also not the guy you're replying to, but OP didn't ask "how do I make a MIDI controller", he asked how to attach washers to keycaps. Unsolicited opinions drive me fucking crazy on this board. If the guy wants to make a guerrilla controller out of an old keyboard, who the fuck are you to tell him he's wrong?

Answer the question or keep your opinions to yourself. If OP gets this done and decides it's inadequate then he can start looking at other solutions. If it serves his purpose, jobs done, no matter what you may think.
>>
>>948490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjfMXVpmxL8
>>
>>948490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgTzw0yeMvU
>>
>>948581
feeling a little casey neistat-ish lately, i just need something to use for the next couple of gigs before i cpuld replace my old one.

anyway I tried using a pvc epoxy that was laying around, turned out alright. but i'll remember your suggestion for later, thanks man.
>>
>>948703
come on, it's impractical where I live. pretty much no one here have ever heard of arduino which means I have to buy it off amazon or something, which would add up in the shipping cost (+currency conversion). i'd be buying a new pedalboard with that money.
>>
>>948886
yeah I thought of using some sort of disc/plates at first but ut seems like the hardware store didnt sell those so i had to settle for a big ass washer instead
>>
>>948887
it's one of those impulse decisions (plus i thought it would last longer if i used metal, thanks for the info though, will save it for next time
>>
>>948902

i appreciate your concern but looking by the way I placed the washer, half of the washer is already on the top part of the keys so I guess the pressure is just enough to push it vertically.

I've tried gluing it with epoxy and so far, it has been registering the keys pretty well. thanks again though.
>>
>>948954
now this is actually quite helpful, I just need a way to house the switches on the keyboard. thanks man.
>>
>>948929
OP here, got my keyboard thing done but I dont think it's gonna last all my next gigs until I could by new ones lol, so I do actually appreciate suggestions, just not like that though
>>
>>948928
china makes too much defective things, and you never know if you are actually getting atmel chips or fake chips.
personally I picked up two micros for cheap when radio$hack went out of business and I use those for dicking around with.

In real projects Ill be using atmel chips. Ill probably also use dead bug style for space saving reasons, but when I use an actual board Ill be using through hole and making my own traces.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.