[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /diy/ make their own reamers, drill bits, tools for boring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: xwaKZTO.jpg (36KB, 460x313px) Image search: [Google]
xwaKZTO.jpg
36KB, 460x313px
Can /diy/ make their own reamers, drill bits, tools for boring? I want to make firearm barrels
>>
> INB4 /k/
>>
Of course you can make your own tools. A reamer is pretty easy depending on the precision you want get a piece of tool steel round stock the diameter you want and truncate the end into a tri pyramid or four sided pyramid vola simple reamer. Drill bits you are probally better of buying one a size smaller than your reamer size. If you want on youtube theirs a channel by clickspring he makes clocks but quite a few custom reamers end mills etc his videos are quite good.
>>
>>910372
>tools for boring

Easy. Tools for rifling: more difficult. It can be DIY, but it depends on what sort of production quantities you want. For a few parts, a high speed steel 'button' can be used. For production quantities, tungsten carbide will last longer.
>>
yeah you COULD make those things easily, single point type shit or what have you, you will need a grinder + skillz

or
you can just buy them...
>>
File: ar_everything_2dvpci.jpg (81KB, 523x600px) Image search: [Google]
ar_everything_2dvpci.jpg
81KB, 523x600px
>>910372
>Can /diy/ make their own reamers, drill bits, tools for boring?
sure, just grind them out of HSS / cobalt / carbide blanks
>I want to make firearm barrels
there is special machines for that.
"gun drilling" is usually done on a machine that is a lot like a lathe, but somewhat different:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_drill
(or it can be done on a large enough lathe)

another machine used to make rifling. there is at least 5 different ways to create rifling, but only the first one (single-point cutting) is really practical for the home-builder-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling#Manufacture

you can build "hand powered" versions of both these machines; that is what was used to make black powder muskets (and is still used today).
>>
>>910410
>only the first one (single-point cutting) is really practical for the home-builder
you can just buy rifle buttons, and button rifling is absolutely easier to do than single-point cutting.
>>
>>910400
Rifling with a button is what i would do.

Chamber reems... Unless your a tool maker, should be bought. There is 0 room to fucl up.
>>
Most gun makers buy a pre rifled blank.

It will be a trued gun barrel, bored to caliber, and rifled. From there you profile, and chamber it.

Gun drilling for a pistol can be done on a lathe ( with a working capacity obviously longer than barrel length ) but rifle length barrels need a real gun drill.
>>
If you have machine tools, and I mean industrial machine tools, you might do so but if you knew how to use those you would not be asking the question.

Take a CNC machinist course at your local community college and after you learn the processes and do the research on what you will want for your use case, you can likely make the tooling (what it's for won't be obvious) as a project. Schools aren't down with gun parts for obvious reasons, but tooling is anonymous.

Not practical for amateurs, so get skilled and you won't be an amateur! You won't save money, but you will learn a lot.

This is not an efficient way to get barrels or chamber them. You should be asking on firearm forums and you wouldn't be asking here if you had been asking there. You are wildly unlikely to ever do this because not even professional machinists would bother since the tooling is readily available which frees them to make what is NOT readily available such as the custom gun parts they want in the first place.

If you want do this on your own you need a lathe, mill (real industrial tools, not ChiCom shit) and a tool and cutter grinder plus the tooling and workholding gear which goes with. A few grand well spent. I have the first two and am looking for a Darex grinder but those rarely go cheap. Have fun!
>>
>>913074
>>911301
What do you think about this? I got it from /k/
>http://firearmsdesigner.com/?p=353
>http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/has-anyone-here-made-chamber-reamer-200542/
I'm not a big fan of "you need treefiddy grand to make that piece of metal"
>>
>>914500
>not a big fan of "you need treefiddy grand to make that piece of metal"
I'm... not understanding the alternative. The first link you posted has some guy using probably more than 3.5k in machinery to make the reamer. Do you expect you can do it by hand, with no machining experience, or something?

You CAN technically go to a local... Well, actually, I don't know what the hell they're called, but "makerspace" seems like the best term and ask to use/rent time on their machines.

Be fully prepared to pay the price for fucking up their equipment, though; either that or ask for lessons from them.
>>
>>914850
Not OP but considering that rifling was invented in 15th century I should guess that it would be possible to do it at home.
Now in those days they used much inferior powder meaning they could get away with lesser steels that wouldn't require as good tools. But today you can get carbide cutting edges and stuff like that.
>>
>>914850
What about this guy's recommendation?I have more time than money. >>910405
>>
>>914861
>rifling was invented in 15th century
Doesn't mean a damn thing. The Bessemer steel process was thought of in 1856, doesn't mean it's any easier for a hobbyist today to do than it was back then. The Antikythera mechanism was made ~125BC, definitely doesn't mean some guy could recreate it in his backyard if he didn't have the proper tools etc.

But yes, if you have the proper tools (and knowledge) you should be able to do it, that's what I've been saying.

>>914927
Post is a little unclear. If what you mean is
>you COULD make those things easily
There's emphasis on
>you will need a grinder + skillz
You could give a college student a multiple million dollar machine, doesn't mean you'd get any sort of result; you could give a 70-year-old machinist-by-trade some hand power tools and a vice and he could make something fantastic.

This all boils down to two points: You need proper experience, AND you need proper machinery. An exception is if you have LOTS of experience, you'll need less machinery.

I highly suggest looking if your local community college offers manufacturing/machining classes and registering for those, or joining a forum for machinists where you can ask questions, or looking for a local "makerspace" / place where you can pay a monthly/yearly fee to use machinery you otherwise would not be able to afford.
>>
>>914500
Came here to suggest a D reamer actually, you beat me to it.

OP is actually a little unclear. Is he talking about making barrel blanks, or finished (or short chambered) barrels? Blanks would be easier, and deep hole drills, as well as reamers, are readily available.

I will say that while a D reamer will work to chamber a barrel or two with for personal use, you'd have to be a masochist to use one for production.
>>
>>915014
I want to know as much as I can about making barrels. From barrel blanks to the finished fluted and rifled barrel that can chamber ammunition.
>>
Where does barrel making even begin? Id imagine a steel of some sort would have to be rolled into a long thin cylinder bar. Next the steel would be put on a lathe or something to cut it into the desired diameter. Everything after that is where gun drilling and shit comes into play. Where does a barrel blank even come from? How is it done?
>>
>>915100
tl;dr: Yes. Video below is very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pzL5h2cl80
>>
>>915209
At 0:30 the steel round stock are probably forged/rolled. Would it hurt to make steel round stock by casting? Also, at 2:00 the narrator says "the barrels are now ready for machining" what is there left to machine? I thought the barrels are finished.
>>
Stupid question: what makes a lathe a gunsmiths lathe? Length? Rigiddity?
>>
>>915234
The only lathes I know are woodworking lathes and metal turning lathes. There are lathes specialized for gunsmithing?
>>
>>915270
aaand I forgot to remove my name
>>
>>915270
When browsing the internet for tools I can't/shouldn't afford, I see things labeled gunsmiths lathe. Lime pic related from grizzly.

www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-36-Gunsmith-s-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G
>>
>>915277
Huh, that's interesting. I guess if it can lathe metal and wood, its a gunsmiths lathe. I mean what else do you need to lathe? jello?
>>
>>915277
Basically the lathe has some minor changes from a regular lathe to make it more usable for gunsmithing.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90815
>The G4000G is a gunsmith lathe whilc ethe G4000 is not. The G4000G has the outboard spider, larger spindle bore, D-5 Camlock chuck instead of a D-4, roller tips on the steady rest and cast iron bases, comes with a quick change tool post and is a different color.

That's actually the same lathe I'm planning on eventually getting when I have money and shop space. I plan on getting one of their small mill-drill combos first though, then eventually upgrading to a fullsize Bridgeport.
>>
>>915227
>would it hurt to make stock by casting
Very yes. The reason why is the crystal structure is different, and you would get different mechanical properties.
>what is there left to machine
Since I don't know what those barrels are for, I'd guess they're just generic "X caliber barrels" ready to be fit on different guns, and so need further machining to fit the specific gun.

>>915234
Yes, and probably yes as well. The lathes I've seen are maybe ~2 meters max; consider that you need length for the entire barrel AND the tool AND space to insert one/both of them. Also probably special work-holding to reduce deflection.

>>915270
>>915272
Yes.

>>915279
>if it can lathe metal and wood, it's a gunsmith's lathe
Not necessarily. There are different power / speed requirements for different materials. Wood lathes also seem to be much simpler mechanically.
>what else do you need to lathe
Plastics, polymers, ceramics, stone, etc. etc.
>>
>>915307
>>915309
Thank you! I've been wondering that off and on for a while.
>>
>>915270
A gunsmith lathe needs a few things.
Threading gears, length enough to fit a barrel between centres, spindle bore enough to fit a barrel, spider for centreing the barrel in the bore.
Barrel sizes will vary so any metal lathe that meets these requiremetns for your uses can be a gunsmith lathe.
>>
>>915309
>Very yes. The reason why is the crystal structure is different, and you would get different mechanical properties.
What do you mean it will have different mechanical properties? Would the stock have pockets of air in them? Would the gun barrel would explode?
>>
>>915096
You don't need 4chan/the internet, you need a 12 pack and a buddy that knows something about this stuff to talk to for at least a day. Not completely being sassy there either. There are a lot of variables to consider, a few are: what kind of barrels (centerfire, black powder, pistol, rifle, bench rest, etc.), how far you're going to machine them (blanks, contoured or rough turned, chambered, unchambered), are you going to buy blanks and finish chambering them or are you going to do it ALL... The list could keep going. I'm not telling you not to, I'd LOVE to make barrels for a living and have thought about it a lot. I just can't pull the trigger, so to speak, on the investment.

Tl;dr It's complicated. Would be way easier to talk to someone that knows than to trust anon on 4chan. No disrespect intended anon.
>>
File: Manu.jpg (207KB, 724x900px) Image search: [Google]
Manu.jpg
207KB, 724x900px
>>915319
"Possibly" on both counts.

I REALLY recommend you (or everybody, actually) take a look at this book; it's full of very useful information to get you started in manufacturing in general. There are a few chapters about casting/forging/etc. about 1/3 of the way through; hopefully that'll explain enough.

Link in pic since 4ch thinks it's spam
>>
>>915382
thanks m8
>>
Don't do this. You're liable to blow yourself up.

Besides you can get a Shillen or Kreiger for something like 300 bucks that will be better quality than you could ever hope to achieve. By the time you've got the equipment you need, you'll be in it for way more and still have an inferior product. Barrels are just not a DIY item.
>>
File: YouJew.jpg (40KB, 491x491px) Image search: [Google]
YouJew.jpg
40KB, 491x491px
>>917034
>blow yourself up
Last time I checked the Department of Transportation didn't classify tungsten carbide as an explosive.
>you can get a Shillen or Kreiger for something like 300 bucks that will be better quali-
Jew, plz go
>>
File: muzzle4jpg.jpg (57KB, 639x330px) Image search: [Google]
muzzle4jpg.jpg
57KB, 639x330px
>>917041
Rifle barrels are though.
>>
>>911167
easier how? You still have to twist the correct way, but because you're doing all the grooves at once, you need way more force (hard for DIY), single-point can be done with wooden machines...
>>
>>911167
button rifling requires a stress relief after rifling, meaning that you need a furnace
>>
>>918170
Okay, once I have he furnace what do I do? How many degrees do I need for this project?
>>
>>918185
you're better off doing cut rifling
>>
>>918198
Could someone save me some Googling and explain why cut rifling would be better than button rifling?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.