[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not so much a DIY question, but something for any plumbers out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: PhotoGrid_1448347853446.jpg (2MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1448347853446.jpg
2MB, 1920x1920px
Not so much a DIY question, but something for any plumbers out there. Had a plumber install a water tank in my yard today while I was at work and the missus didn't ask any questions. We're required by council to have a tank and it was in our original plans. But, I'm not quite sure how this works? Apparently he had to wait for it to fill up before he left. I don't know why you'd have to fill a tank? Isn't the purpose of it to collect rainwater?
Any help would be appreciated
>>
It might help us if you showed whats connected to what, and why your locality requires a water tank.

That looks like a booster pump to boost water pressure independent of city or well pressure.
>>
>>905523
Pretty much the brass pipe is the only thing thats connected and one of the pvc pipes is a run off or overflow drain or something which flows through a sump pump. Theres a pvc pipe off the house which runs into the concrete which I'm assuming is the other pipe? But honestly I don't know.
The brass pipe connects to the house and apparently the plumber said that the taps will spit and spat cause air will be caught in them. So is my water now just running through the tank?
>>
Do you have geothermal heating? I can't think why the PVC goes underground and isn't connected to the bottom to be gravity fed, suggesting they're either return or supply that are pump driven.
>>
>>905562
No, we use gas so I have no idea.
>>
The plumber had to fill it to test it and to let it bed into the ground.

The lower pvc is the over flow pipe, the higher one will be the rain water in.

The higher copper is the scheme water inlet, the lower copper should be water to the pump.

Possibly a sludge valve at the bottom.

Over all looks like a good job.
>>
>>905513

> Teflon-tape

It's gonna leak my friend. Maybe not now, but a year or two from now it will
>>
>>905513
You let some stranger come to your house and charge you money for something you have no idea about? And where do you live that this is required? Not enough info to figure out whats going on here but looks like a nice job. But for all you know, those pipes just go into the ground and the entire system does nothing. Way to be a responsible home owner
>>
it's probably for increasing the water pressure, which is quite common in Yorupoor, given their old infrastructure cant handle proper water pressure without breaking apart.
>>
>>905586
what BS are you on about?

I have teflon-taped threaded joints in my house, that I made a deacde ago. They're fine.
>>
>>905513
>>905574
this guy is correct. it's not a hard thing to do and looks like he did a good job. you need to fill your plumbing systems with water to test for leaks.
>>905586
this guys is a dick, don't listen to him. you use teflon tape to lubricate the threads in order to screw them deep enough to create a seal. threads are tapered so it is the threading that creates a seal. teflon tape and dope are only considered a sort of sealant in low pressure applications like natural gas and propane lines
>>
>>906841
wasn´t it everything under 3/4" teflon and everything above hemp with fermit ?
>>
>>906841
Many pipe threads are appear to have been machined by drunk children so teftape in residential plumbing often has a sealing effect. I use it for another reason, ease of disassembly for repair many years later. That advantage is also why it's not used for high-pressure joints.

http://www.plantengineering.com/single-article/guidelines-for-choosing-a-pipe-thread-sealant/5103ee62235def2053cec5d46dd34156.html
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.