[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have exposed brick wall at my place, so essentially half the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170831_194124-759x1012.jpg (336KB, 759x1012px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170831_194124-759x1012.jpg
336KB, 759x1012px
I have exposed brick wall at my place, so essentially half the apartment is missing insulation. It's gets chilly during winter.
And a lot of mineral build up

I've seen a few restaurants that have brick walls have some semi glossy spray.

What is this stuff, and does it add insulation?
>>
its paint to prevent the bricks and mortar from crumbling apart
>>
File: h5_2009.280[1].jpg (209KB, 952x400px) Image search: [Google]
h5_2009.280[1].jpg
209KB, 952x400px
>>1236736
>does it add insulation?
No.

Put big furniture against the walls. Bookshelves, dressers, etc. Tapestries also help. Thicker the better. You can also use blankets or even carpet if you are poor and don't mind looking that way.
>>
>>1236747
>Tapestries

Watch that shit, you might get Indiana Jones showing up to view them. Then you get your fucking castle set on fire.
>>
File: rick and morty tapestry.jpg (264KB, 933x691px) Image search: [Google]
rick and morty tapestry.jpg
264KB, 933x691px
>>1236747
>Tapestries also help.
They help you realize *buurp* God doesn't exist, Morty.

How the hell did I get this looking up Buddhist tapestries? I had a Celtic knot one once. Tossed it out in a panic when I thought I had bed bugs, but turned out we didn't.
>>
File: brick-921236_1920.jpg (688KB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
brick-921236_1920.jpg
688KB, 1920x1079px
>>1236743
It's not a fucking paint

>>1236747
correct, a sealer will not add insulation to a brick wall

>>1236736
You should vacuum the wall to the best of your ability. Remove as much dust and "mineral build up" as possible. Are you in the US? If so, search for Carter Waters or Goedecke. Both of those companies sell "masonry sealer". You don't want a "sealant". You want a semi-gloss sealer.

If you don't have a Carter Waters or Goedecke near you, google search "masonry restoration near me" and call one of those companies. Be honest and tell them you are trying to find a supplier for masonry sealer and where do they buy theirs from. Most companies are friendly and will offer up places for you to find it. I would stay away from big box store brands unless you have no other option.

Read the instructions if you need to dilute or not and apply with a cheap pump garden spray. As soon as you're done spraying the wall, run a half tank of clean water through the wand and nozzle and rinse the tank out well if you plan on using it again.

source: masonry restoration biz owner
>>
File: brick-778178.jpg (3MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
brick-778178.jpg
3MB, 4928x3264px
>>1236835
To add to this, when you call the supplier of masonry products, tell them what you're trying to do and ask what they would recommend. If you want semi-gloss, they'll have it. If you want it to seal without any change to the appearance, they'll have it. Give them the sq/ft of brick you need to seal and they'll give you the amount of product you'll need to get the job done. GL
>>
The only way to fix the insulation problem is by building another wall opposite so you have a cavity then insulating the cavity.
>>
Op here.

I already have book shelfs, couches, a wall rug, and heavy curtains over the windows, but it's still cold as fuck there. I ended up partitioning that side of the apartment apart with heavy duty wool blankets that help a ton, but it's still cold in there.

I was hoping for some neat spray that would help with insulation.

>>1236835
I don't want to waste time, and money on this if it does nothing for heat loss.
I vacuum the brick twice a year or more to get rid of the mineral seepage.

Landlord won't bother to install proper drywall, and insulation. I even offered to help.
>>
>>1236736
>so essentially half the apartment is missing insulation

are there holes in this brick wall? otherwise it might be the best wall you have.
>>
>>1236979
It's external brick that just doesn't have any insulation, or drywall on the inside in the living room.

Upstairs unit has full drywall all around.
>>
>>1236976
>proper drywall
Hipsters be queuing round the block to live in such a fabulously unfinished artisanal des res as yours anon.
>>1236835
while you there, and all - any tips on repairing garden walls? Its (mostly) large stone blocks, shit growing *in it*, gaps where the cement used to be, developing an unhealthy curved form, etc. Can weedkiller the growth, but, just chuck new cement into the (now bigger) gaps as best as, or, there a better solution? Its actually passerby dangerous, adv. appreciated.
>>
>>1236835
Take this experts advice at your own peril...

Sealing or painting soft brick can have a detrimental effect on the moisture control of the structure.
>>
>>1237006
Is the garden wall landscaping block or is it cinder block? Either way, you can either patch the landscaping block and/or "repoint" the joints in between the cinder block where mortar used to be.

In both scenarios, you want to remove as much of the plant growth as possible before any repairs. You can use maybe an old screwdriver or a chisel to dig out any dirt and plant that you can.

If you google videos on "how to repoint a block wall" or "how to repoint a brick wall", there are some pretty solid videos of people describing the process of repairing mortar joints.

If you are patching stone, you want to use a special patching product. I use a product called "red line speed crete" for patching concrete and for stone I use "jahn patching mortar". These are specialty products and you'll have to visit their websites to find a distributor near you.

If it's just the mortar joints that need to be repointed, you'll most likely want to use a "type S mortar". Home Depot and Lowes carry bags of it and all you need to do is add water and mix. Follow how they do on the videos about removing the damaged mortar, cleaning the joint, putting the new mortar in and cleaning afterwards. It's a pretty easy process. The curve in the wall bothers me so I'd make sure you're in the mind frame of any repairs done as temporary because the pressure from whatever is behind the wall is causing it to bow.

>>1237069
This is true is some scenarios. Almost all masonry sealers are water repellent but vapor permeable. They know that no matter how well you seal a masonry surface, water is still going to find a way in. That's the blessing and curse of masonry. It absorbs water easily and dispels it easily as well. Since the sealers are vapor permeable, it allows for the moisture to evaporate and pass through the masonry.
>>
>>1236736
is it your place OP like do you own it?
If so i'd shoot some 4x2 studs to the brick insulate between them and then drywall over it.
goodbye bricks and youve got an insulated wall now
>>
>>1239098
Yeah if they don't own it I'd get another apartment.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.