[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of building an ebike. I think I can probably build it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: electric_workcmt_240_12_p.jpg (21KB, 240x206px) Image search: [Google]
electric_workcmt_240_12_p.jpg
21KB, 240x206px
Thinking of building an ebike. I think I can probably build it cheaper without a kit.
Not sure what to use for the motor. Local law says I need something at 1000 watts and 25mph.

What kind of bike do I need. I thinking of going to goodwill and pic up a bike cheap.
>>
>>1236068
I've got 5 ebikes. One 10,000 watt dual hub fat bike down to a 250w front wheel hub motor.

My preferred commuter has been my tricross with my Bafang 8fun BBS02 Midrive.

I set it up and haven't had to fuck with it since.

There's no increase in wheel weight to big you down and it interfaces with the drivetrain without hindering you while pedaling unpowered.
>>
>>1236109
Dang 10000 watts how fast does it go?
>>
I've built one before and recently bought one from RPB. If I were to do it again I'd place a "sample order" for the bike in the link and just upgrade it rather than building.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Motorlife-electric-bicycle-2017-48V-750W_60683981766.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.138.3c93b095NRVw7F
>>
>>1236234
Eh but I kind of want to build my own ghetto bike
>>
>>1236068
Bikes are much more fiddly and expensive they they ought to be. I do my 90% of my own bike maintenance (don't have the spinner to balance spoke tension; always fuck up limit screws) but I would never advise anyone to do more than a 1 component upgrade or buy anything more complicated to build than BikesDirect (which are shitty but priced appropriately). There is documentation is poor and the vendors are monopolistic. You can complete most of a project on the cheap and think you are very clever until some assumption/tool/measurement didn't work the way you hoped and you have to eat a faceful of shit and take your wreckage to a bike shop. When I was young and repacking bearings my mother threw my "spare parts" in the trash -
the bike was worthless thereafter. More recently, tracking down a 12mm hex wrench was fucking impossible and I'm ashamed to say how much I paid but I couldn't finish my overhaul without it.

Adding homebrew electrics is a good way to have parts spread out on the floor for 2 months until you ragequit and pay a professional our buy a kit.
>>
>>1236826
>go to ebay/aliexpress
>search "12mm hex wrench"
>$5
>>
File: cyclone1sm.jpg (383KB, 667x432px) Image search: [Google]
cyclone1sm.jpg
383KB, 667x432px
>>1236068
Get a chinese carbon fiber frame off ebay. Dual suspension, wide fork for fat tires. The combination of fat tires and dual suspension will increase ride ability a lot, especially at higher speeds. Get a 3kw Luna motor and juice it to 5kw and you should have a funass e-bike. Buy some 18650B in bulk and build your own battery pack, use the rest for a powerwall for your house.
>>
File: frame.jpg (276KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
frame.jpg
276KB, 1280x960px
>>1237047
This frame by Luna is pretty sweet too.
>>
>>1237047
Or buy whatever 18650 you can find and put a TON of them in parallel since they can't do much amperage individually. It'll be a lot bigger and heavier than if you get high capacity high discharge 18650B's.
>>
>>1237047
Can you link what you mean? I cant find what you are talking about the chinese carbon fiber frame
>>
>>1237048
looks kind of too much like a motorcycle. Looks cool but I need something more discrete like regular bike looking . Cops here would question if I were riding that on the road.
>>
>>1236826
Bikes can be more fiddly and expensive than they should be, if you buy bikes full of proprietary parts. If you talk to 'enthusiasts' you're likely to get roped into a mindset that you have to spend $800 on a crank to enjoy your bicycle.

Bikes are fucking simple. Unless you compete at a professional level, you're not going to get a tangible benefit out of the latest aerospace-grade marketing wank bullshit. No matter how much you change your bike, it's only going to be 15% more efficient than a $150 bike from walmart. Your body is doing the work.

>>1237050
18650 cells are great. The good ones can push 25 amps continuously, and 50 amps for ~ 5s. That's a hell of a lot of power for a cell that size.

I have a bunch of Samsung 25R cells, but I don't know how much power storage I need to decide on a pack size. What's an average wattage draw for an ebike traveling over level ground?
>>
>>1237053
Bump?
>>
>>1238048
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-27-5er-Mountain-Bike-Frame-142-12mm-Carbon-Fiber-mtb-frame-full-suspension-/182462388936?var=&hash=item2a7b9b1ac8:m:m7m8S2G5sPnkFDSG-ghMkAg

Like this. I can't find one that fits fat tires right now though.
>>
>>1237058
>18650 cells are great.

Just for the record, this means literally nothing.

18650 describes (and ONLY describes) the shape of the case. The characteristics of the cell depend entirely on how well the internals are manufactured. You can have an 18650 from A123 that will shit out 30A CONTINUOUSLY and a no-name Chinese one next to it that will literally catch fire if it tried to do the same.

Hell, if you look, you can find NiMH and NiCd in 18650 format.
>>
>>1238362
500$ for just the frame? Thats crazy
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.