[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn how to stick weld and cut metal with an oxyacetalyne

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: SMAW.jpg (228KB, 614x495px) Image search: [Google]
SMAW.jpg
228KB, 614x495px
I want to learn how to stick weld and cut metal with an oxyacetalyne torch. I' m gonna go ahead and save some cash myself and put this stuff in my dad's warehouse for me to learn on my own.I researched the general costs and I"m looking at about $600 for the high end weld machine and $500 for the bottles, torch and gas for the oxy cutter. Is that a reasonable estimate? Any beginner mistakes I may be missing? Can I cut corners using the harbor freight stuff?

This is about the price fro 2 college classes too but I haven't had good experiences at community colleges. Is that still something I should think about or can I learn most of it on my own?
>>
an innocent thread died for this. There's a welding thread directly beneath your post.
>>
$600 doesn't buy a high end welding machine
>>
File: K2g5X3n.jpg (40KB, 734x472px) Image search: [Google]
K2g5X3n.jpg
40KB, 734x472px
>>1233826

get an AC/DC stick welder.

you can learn a lot by practicing, watching youtube videos, and reading online. there are some excellent welding forums, and you can get help here. On the other hand, at first it can save a lot of frustration to be with an experienced welder who can show you the basics and identify your mistakes.

welding is one of those things where you can get better each time you try, as long as you don't wait too long between sessions and forget what you learned. So accumulate some scrap metal and buy some sticks and practice, practice, practice.

pic related is some of my current work on a distiller.
>>
>>1233830
>spray welding from 20 feet away
>>
>>1233832

I wanted OP to see a typical weld before it is cleaned up with a grinder.
>>
>>1233834
That's not a typical weld.
You're teaching him wrong.
>>
>>1233826
you dont need to spend that much. especially to start. go buy used stuff. this type of equipment doesnt really go bad or can easily be cleaned up if needed.
>>
File: usethewholestick.jpg (12KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
usethewholestick.jpg
12KB, 236x236px
>>1233834
>before grinder
mkay....
>>
>>1233834
>typical weld

Trolling them softly.
>>
>>1233830
I used a stick welder for maybe 20 minutes in my life and it looked better than that. Jesus christ how far away from the pipe were you?
>>
>>1233884
so the OP needs a grinder added to the shopping list huh?
>>
>>1233829
My base unit was $5,500
That's just the power source, no accessories, cables etc.
>>
>>1233826
Torch is easy. Get the biggest tanks you can afford. If you need them to be somewhat portable you can go smaller but you still want as big as you can manage. The the smallest tanks only give you about an hours use depending on your tip and it's pretty fucking annoying to run out in the middle of a job
>>
>>1233989
You'll need a grinder anyway. Paint removal, cleaning up welds and splatter, cutting pieces and grinding down sharp edges, paint prep and so much more
>>
>>1233830
Holy shit, OP you should be making welds much better than this within 5 minutes.

Also why do you want bottles for a stick weld?
>>
>>1233830
What filler did you use, coat hanger or bailing wire?
>>
>>1234446
He wants the bottles for oxy cutting.

OP, dont get an oxy torch right off the bat. If youve got a air compressor get a plasma cutter, but honestly a 6" angle grinder is just as quick at cutting most stuff as a torch. The torch is dangerous for a beginner too. I got a job as a welder self taught as well, i bought my used licoln 225 welder for 80$, helmet for 30, grinder for 80$ (got a dewalt made in usa). Then spent probably 200-400 on gear, clamps, consumables and metal.
Watch welding tips and tricks, his advice is solid. When i got my job i watched his videos every day after work to get as much knowledge as i could. Anyways, nothing beats practice when it comes to welding, burn a ton of rod and youll get it down.
>>
These threats are pain to my eyes.
I have international welder degree ask me anything
>>
>>1233830
>welding is one of those things where you can get better each time you try

>pic related

You need a lot more trying
>>
>>1233826
You can practice for free at most union halls anon.
>>
>>1233830
Closer is better anon. This is long arcing. Watch your puddle it should look like the red storm on Jupiter.
>>
Buy a decent mask

Don't wear it underwater. You'll die.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.