[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting a building apprenticeship on monday. Quick tell me how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0659.jpg (13KB, 122x125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0659.jpg
13KB, 122x125px
Starting a building apprenticeship on monday. Quick tell me how to not fuck this up.
>>
take pen and paper. listen and ask questions.
>>
>>1233734
what about calculator?
>>
don't stand around with your thumb up your ass and do what you're told.
no one likes a useless asshole.

also don't be soft. banter will make the day faster and keep you sane
>>
Invest in a pair of gel insoles for your boots. Your feet will thank you.
>>
>>1233730

1. The night before, make sure you have all your stuff ready to go, boots, clothes, etc. Make sure you get adequte rest.
2. Listen more than you talk
3. Write things down, take notes.
4. Keep yourself busy. Just because the guy that you work with takes extra breaks or smokes when he wants to doesn't mean that you can. He's already established, they are testing you out to see if you cut the mustard.
5. Don't bring any tools with you unless they have told you to bring them with you.
6. Leave your phone off, young guys nowdays are glued to their phones.
>>
>>1233771
Now that you mention it, what shouod I wear?
I own:
>gumboots
>sneakers
>boots (laced hiking boots, not steel toed)
>>
>>1233730
Talk as little as possible and listen as much as possible. Be actively working or looking for work to do.

Leave your phone in your vehicle. This is a recent gripe that has popped up just about everywhere; there is no better way to piss people off faster.
>>
OP here, just to clarify, im 24 and had 5 jobs already. Im not looking for advice on how not to piss people off. Im looking for building specific advice.
>>
>>1233782
Do not take a pen n paper just remember what your told and learn the fine line between your boss liking you and swallowing his cock.

Just because the boss likes you and keeps you round its the crew you sweat bleed and talk shit with have loyalty to them over all else.

Keep your mouth shut about opinions on anybody else you never know who will spread that around
>>
>>1233790
No retard, im not looking for brown nosing advice. I want building advice,
what do you builders wear?
useful stuff to bring along?
tips and tricks?
etc....
>>
>>1233794
cup your balls and walk through the door
>>
>>1233796
So what im gathering from all this is that tradies are unhelpful cunts.
>>
>>1233798
no
there are no 'tips and tricks'
this isn't some fucking youtube "life hack" video bullshit. Just b urself
Also, jeans, boots, and a belt to hang shit from.
You'll learn as you go.
>>
File: IMG_0920.jpg (16KB, 445x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0920.jpg
16KB, 445x330px
>>1233800
Okay then, thoughts on what boots and belt to get. The only belt ive got at the moment is a taurus fencing belt, I quite like it, wondering if I shouod get their tool belts. Also heard ox makes a decent belt.

Also boots, ive seen guys in sneaker when climbing on rafters and shit. Or is it not worth breaking your toes. Also thinking of getting something steel toed like pic related.

Should I just trial and error this shit, does it normally take years?
>>
>>1233798
People in trades are generally hard, rough, and usually hard working when needed. Take the role of "appie", pay attention, and work hard, if you are new to any form of trade, then just shut up, and listen.
If you are new, expect to take a bit of shit, but bear in mind that there is generally no molly-coddling, it's a different culture. If you are keen to learn, and stick to your place at the bottom of the rung, you will do just fine.
Apart from that, it's likely expected that you know nothing, if you are physically soft and/or thin, you will quickly be building strength and endurance, again, shut up and swallow pain/minor injury.
Young people "nowdays" have a pretty shit rep as being soft, and unhappy to work hard, go against those two assumptions and you will likely succeed merely by doing what you should be.
Source: ~30, worked more jobs than I care to recall, health and safety in my country is nigh non-existent, but we happen to like it that way as risks are usually taken by our own volition. I have worked in fitting, and turning, home improvements, and some really minor crap. I can't wait tables to save my life, my social skills are pretty shite. I am currently doing web development, so I can say I've seen a large cross section of plebe employment.

TL;DR
Your first day will be shit, areas/cultures/companies/businesses/crews vary a lot, and they will expect you to be unprepared, so just shut up, listen, act on advice and work hard.
Older guys, people whom have worked there longer will have far more leeway for taking breaks, smoking while working, and such, you don't. They will be able to do any work you have in a quarter of the time. You will be doing the grunt work.

Good luck!
>>
>>1233802
Yes, trial and error.

Don't spend, you may be supplied some shit, you may not, and you will have no idea what you need from boots and such until you have some experience. You definitely don't want to be wearing in a new pair of boots on your first day as well.
Wear what you have, they will get fucked up, heavy-dutyish jeans/pants which allow you to move easily. They may require some form of dress/branded worksuit or something, so find out when you start.
>>
>>1233809
Dont really want to fuck my current boots, sneakers or gummies. Would you reccomend just getting a cheap entry level tradie boot?
>>1233806
I understand what youre saying, but ive been through all this shit before. Ive worked dairy and forestry since I was 16. I am just looking for building specific advice.
>>
>>1233811
If you wish, and have nothing else you are prepared to wear. Don't worry about building specific advice, that's why you are starting as an apprentice. You'll probably be mostly fine in a couple months or less given your background. Doesn't take years unless you are mentally challenged.

You will be fine.
>>
>>1233813
cheers.
>>
>>1233773
>6. Leave your phone off, young guys nowdays are glued to their phones.

Fuck me so true.

What is it with this generation. I pay you for 10 hours, inclusive of an hour lunch break. Do your fucking business then. Otherwise ask me for time off and I'll pay it. So fucking annoying. I had this apprentice come to me after he dropped his smart phone onsite asking if I will pay for the screen replacement.

Fuck off
>>
>>1233811
Just buy some reasonably priced steel toe cap boots and try to break them in before you start, they'll get fucked up anyway so don't buy anything too expensive or too cheap.

You didn't say if they were going to supply any kit so a few gloves wouldn't go amiss either.
>>
>>1233730
Practice drinking daily, after you turb out then you'll be ready to do it on the job.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.