[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We all like to joke about shipping container shelters, but what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

We all like to joke about shipping container shelters, but what actually is an ideal way to make one on the cheap? Are corrugated steel pipe shelters equally a meme?
>>
>thin walls
>no vertical supports
>caves in when buried
>inadequate for chemical attacks

It's just a meme anon. What do you need protection from that your ar-15 can't take care of? You do have an ar-15 right, anon?
>>
>>1233705
A connex will run you about $2k delivered.
And I can pretty much guarantee you won't be able to make a water-proof, rodent-proof lockable enclosure the size of a connex for that money.

Don't be retarded with them - don't try to bury them. Otherwise they work just fine for storage.

>>1233740
>no vertical supports
They're *designed* to be stacked - their vertical supports are on the corners. Load the corners, they'll support a shitload of weight.
Nice b8 tho.
>>
>>1233705

Its a quick and dirty way to make a home. Sure there are those that prefer not to use them. It all depends on your budget and locale for building codes. One of the main objections is the lack of walls to insulate, but there is straw bale and rigid foam applications. I don't know where you are, but apparently ignorance reins supreme as far as building inspectors and codes go, which is why they are prohibited in many jurisdictions. As someone who has delt with inspectors before (not involving shipping containers) typically if it is considered "non-standard" then the only way to get a building permit and then a certificate of occupancy is to have the design professionally drawn and stamped by architect or engineer.

However, if they are allowed, then they certainly are neat.

http://mdornseif.io/2010/02/14/shipping-containers.html

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=straw+bale+inslation+shipping+container

More Insulation Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpmsBdLmPk

In many areas, one of the objections to shipping containers on property is that they are considered "ugly". So, it might be a good idea to consider coating the exterior in "papercrete" or stucco.

Papercrete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DJZrrh8AVc

Stucco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr5taXxYagg
>>
Wonder how comfy it would be to have one at an angle going into the ground and have one burried under attached the the angled one.
>>
>>1233705
yeah using it for anything buried or under water is retarded but they are chaeap and easy to modifi
you can build a simple shelter or a house with them or just use them as storage posibilities are endles
they cost like 1000-2000€(the big ones)+delivery so you get a finished box for that money cheaper then making it on your own (steel frame on the edges and thin walls and roof and solid floor)
>>
>>1233705
>but what actually is an ideal way to make one on the cheap?
Leave it above ground.
>>
>>1233740
>no vertical supports
Are you retarded? These are containers. They are stacked.
>>
>>1233763
look into the insulated, refrigerated containers. insulation on all sides. air tight and water tight (if you get a good one) interior is finished to a higher standard that their all steel cousins. many have the refrigerating mechanicals removed. you could prolly use that area to retrofit some sort of heat/ac unit. some are already modified as portable office units, with windows and side doors installed.
>>
>>1233705
>but what actually is an ideal way to make one on the cheap?
a shovel, pickaxe, rebar, cement, fly ash, aggregate, and time.
>>
>>1233740
>What do you need protection from that your ar-15 can't take care of?
guns can't kill tornadoes
>>
>>1234708

All depends on cost, as it seems that OP wants the cheapest option. I'd get a hi-cube one-trip container (steel) DO NOT GET ALUMINUM.

Although you consider insulated containers, I don't know what R-value you are going to get. With the straw bale insulation, that is applied to the exterior of the container (many videos on youtube) so that could be something done as money is available.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.