[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /diy/ tldr; help me identify this modchip please? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 7

File: IMG-20170823-WA0000.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170823-WA0000.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Hello, /diy/

tldr; help me identify this modchip please?

I was given a supposedly faulty PSOne by someone when I pointed out I'd like one. She forgot to give me the power adapter, so I haven't been able to test it, but since I've fixed small electronics before by disassembly and dumb cleaning/replacing what looks broken, and since I wanted to add a modchip, I figured I would take a look inside.

I didn't find anything broken, but I did find a modchip already in place, as well as simple wires soldered to the board on both ends. Surprising, since its previous owner hadn't mentioned it.

So to figure out how to use it and its capabilities/limitations I googled far and wide for various modchips matching the layout of this one. I find none.

It's a european (ie. PAL) PM-41 board (not "PM-41 (2)")
The modchip is labelled:
12C508A
04/P075
<logo> 0034

This leads me to believe it is programmed as a "MultiMode" v2/v3 chip OR "OneChip",, since both use that chip. However, I find no installation diagram with the same solder points in use - particularly for pin #8 (will post examples later) - so I suspect it might be neither.

I do find an old diagram that includes the wire near the modchip, soldered to the board on both ends, but its source is dead so I have no idea what it does. Some guides tell to connect the point closer to the modchip to its pin #5; some tell to connect BOTH points to pin #5.

I find absolutely no instruction on the wire soldered to the A/V output, but I suspect it has to do with color correction (because NTSC games that bypass region lock would play in black and white) and therefore that region locks are bypassable.

I'd like to find out what modchip I'm dealing with. I have no equipment to re-flash the chip or fetch its hex dump, but might DIY it given instructions.

Are there any /diy/nosaurs here with experience in this? I feel this is outside the scope of /g/'s competence, although technically it would be more appropriate there.
>>
File: IMG-20170823-WA0011.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170823-WA0011.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Insulation tape removed.
>>
File: IMG-20170823-WA0014.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170823-WA0014.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Closeup of modchip. I removed the tape adhesive using rubbing alcohol to see the labelling more clearly.
>>
File: IMG-20170823-WA0018.jpg (892KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170823-WA0018.jpg
892KB, 2448x3264px
Closeup of the A/V-connected wire.
>>
File: mm3-psone.jpg (105KB, 510x541px) Image search: [Google]
mm3-psone.jpg
105KB, 510x541px
A diagram, also showing the pin numbers for the chip. This is (one way) to install a MultiMode v3 chip. Pin #1 (red in this diagram; grey/blue wire in my pictures) is for power and I assume it doesn't matter much where it's connected as long as it "works".
>>
File: gHxyo0E_d.jpg (80KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
gHxyo0E_d.jpg
80KB, 640x454px
Another diagram showing the "link wire" near the modchip.
>>
>>1232866
>>1232868
Just noticed pin #6 is connected to a different point than in these diagrams, but it looks to me like the point in the diagrams is directly connected to the one in my pictures.
>>
File: 1503597694775808636299.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1503597694775808636299.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
>>1232860
>12C508A
It's just a PIC microcontroller so you wont be able to learn what it exactly does without making a dump with a programmer like pic related.

Pickit clones are cheap so you could buy one for that but I would solder two wires to the barrel jack and power it on with a bench PSU to test the thing first. By the way, even if it's faulty it's probably related to other components and not the modchip.
>>
>>1232967
Okay, I was hoping someone might recognize the way it had been soldered and identify the program based on that, or its features since the solder points seem to serve specific purposes. I might find someone with a device like that to help me, but unless they're dirt cheap (<10€) I can't really buy one. Even then, it'd take a while. I'll look it up though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.