[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth joining a "hackerspace" club or should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: tman).jpg (1008KB, 2000x1328px) Image search: [Google]
tman).jpg
1008KB, 2000x1328px
Is it worth joining a "hackerspace" club or should I just do my DIY stuff at home?
>>
>>1231221

supposedly the good ones have lots of tools that you probably don't have at home, and I suppose there might actually be some people there who don't suck and can help you learn.

Personally I'd expect it to suck 90% of the time.
>>
>women doing nothing
>>
>>1231224
>supposedly the good ones have lots of tools that you probably don't have at home,
This is the entire point of them. I don't understand this phenomenon of them supposing to be community spaces; even hobby shops back in the day, you might do some painting or assembly there but it wasn't specifically to meet people and join startups like hackerspaces are
>>
>>1231221
The only one I have checked out had a pretty sweet laser cutter, but the "community" was absolute trash.
The most awkward bunch of clowns ever, and they had some sort of superiority complex because they were regulars.
>>
>>1231270
>they had some sort of superiority complex because they were regulars.

I'd expect some of them to be overly protective of some of the equipment as well, and annoy the hell out of you when you used it.

NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT!
Why?
BECAUSE!
>>
>>1231271
You didn't finish.

Because... you don't know how to calibrate it, you dulled all the blades last time you used it, you left a mess, you didn't sign up to use it at this time, etc.

The local hacker space to me (sector 67) is legit and has a lot of brainpower associated with it that can help you move a project forward.

Of course people are going to be a bit awkward, wtf do you expect from people using industrial weaving machines or 3D printing a iron man costume with perfect detail?
>>
It depends a lot on the kind of work environment you like. I setup my own electronics lab because trying to concentrate at a hackspace was hell. Power tools, load music and talking are very irritating to me. Hackspaces almost always have membership fees; which cost more than a soldering iron and oscilloscope after a few months.
>>
>tfw my local hackerspace won't talk to me
>>
>>1231354
what did you DO, anon?
>and dont say 'fucking nothing' - we know
>>
File: 1503316155126.jpg (209KB, 630x621px) Image search: [Google]
1503316155126.jpg
209KB, 630x621px
>>1231221
the flux they're using must be fucking amazing to get into your face

oh wait
>why do all my joints look like shit?
>>
>>1231360
>450 pound neckbeard walks into hackerspace
>girl walks up to him
>"Hey man, welcome to the hackerspace!"
>"Hello, I'm Jane. What can we do for ya?"
>"H-h-hi , do you like anime?" says anon, while staring at her breasts
>"I want to 3d print a life-size version of my waifu, with a hole between the legs for... umm.... my hand, so I can use it like a giant sock puppet"
>"and a hole in the mouth so I can..... umm... pretend I can feed it"
>"but I want it to be a soft, slippery rubber, so it won't fall on me and hurt me"
>says anon, spewing Cheeto dust as he speaks
>"Well, we can't 3d print rubber, but let me introduce you to Dave. He handles casting and molding" says Jane, repulsed
>anon stares at her ass as they walk across the room
>he repeats his request to Dave, as she speed walks away
>Dave says, "hey man, look. I know what you're trying to do, and we don't do sex toys here. But, if you'll give me your email address, I'll send some links to you so you can do it on your own, okay?"
>anon look at Dave as if he had just offered him a salad
>he channels the power of 3000 good boys who had their tendies taken away
>"FUCKING NORMIES I BET YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEE EVANGELION"
>everyone stops what they're doing and stares at him
>"GIVE ME MY WAIFU OR YOU'LL BE SORRY, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"
>a few people, including Jane, try to sneak out the door to escape the rage of a thousand tards trapped in one body
>anon sees them, produces a piss jug and throws it at the door with his tard strength, exploding onto everyone
>"IF YOU DON'T GIVE ME MY WAIFU, I'LL TAKE THIS ONE!"
>with his tard strength, anon picks up a screaming Jane and runs to the bus stop
>while he waits for the bus, Dave calls 911 and the cops come to try and save Jane
>"FUCKING NORMIES STEALING MY WAIFU! LEA-
>anon is tased and goes to jail
>never let back into the hackerspace
>>
I use it as a workspace.
just €20 a month and a lot of free shit for my projects.

I guess I will leave when uni is starting and use that as my workspace, but it was perfect for the summer.

And if you ignore the autists who just want to criticize every part you're working on, then there are actually a few people who know their shit and you can def learn from them.

also sha 2017 was quite a fun experience, I never went to a hacker event before but I think I will go to the next one even tho im prob quiting the hacker space.

oh ye 3d printer was good (totally free), lasercutter sucked (a4), and normal tools were okay. still for 20 a month it was superb imo, for a private business owner you pay 5x for just a joint workspace.

important note: discipline when working at home on projects is at 2%... so ye for me its quite important
>>
>>1231221
if, in my entire existance on this planet, i had managed to find a person interested in this kind of thing who i didn't utterly despise after 4 minutes in their company then perhaps i would consider lugging all of my shit to some building far away so i can constrain myself with rules and red tape imposed by others?
no.

you don't need expensive tools that other people don't take care of.
>>
Anyone ever hear of FouLab in Montreal? Is it any good? The site is neat enough and they seem to offer lectures and seminars and round tables and other interesting community shit, but I worry it's either so expensive I may as well buy tools myself, or will be 99% hoity toity nerds and one lone grognard who will all laugh at everything I do.

I saw another one in mtl but it's like 75 bucks a month for just access to a work space and FUCK THAT, before long it will have been more worth it to just buy tools
>>
>>1231377
Dubs dont lie. Anon my sides
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-08-20 06.48.37.png (290KB, 496x578px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-08-20 06.48.37.png
290KB, 496x578px
nowhere is safe...
>>
>>1231425
lel
>how do i use this synth
>follow this guide to make work
jesus fuck.
>>
>>1231430
>120 dollars a month...

any real interest lasts a year or five, or a lifetime.

so they want $1440 for one year (nice set of starter tools including cheapo Harbor Freight lathe and extras), or for 3 years which is not much for a true hobbyiest, $4320 which is real money for decent toys.

$20 per month is cool. much more than that and you might as well buy your own toys.
>>
>>1231430
tools and shit is like 1/3rd of the battle.

having a locale that's suited and somehow dealing with rent and shit without having ridiculous rates isn't easy.

make your own workshop decent, then invite friends over if you need help or company.
make sure those friends are toolheads too, so you can come over to their house and use their tools.

I really dont see the attraction of having all your expensive tools and precious projects somewhere where anyone can just waltz in.

there is a local space opening up here, i might go there to help people out because most people are retarded when it comes to electronics, but fuck actually building my own shit there.
its all memes anyway. shitty 3dprinters, IoT toasters and ledcubes.
>>
>>1231221
I have never seen someone who looks like me as much as the dude second from right in your pic OP. I'm talking full twin-brother resemblance here. This is alarming.
>>
File: [email protected] (371KB, 2000x1328px) Image search: [Google]
H@ckerz.jpg
371KB, 2000x1328px
>>
>>1231425
it's Portland...
>>
>>1231221
That's a mess, they really need more tables.
>>
>>1231360
>>1231377
It's not one of those places where you can just walk in. I try to communicate with them asking about how they accept new members on their email and irc. But there is never any response.
>>
>>1231360
Learn to use green texting properly you faggot
>>
File: 1503371409161s.jpg (2KB, 124x109px) Image search: [Google]
1503371409161s.jpg
2KB, 124x109px
>>1231530
>>
>>1231425

Good fucking lord, why do they have to shit up everywhere with their muh gender?
>>
File: 1503060426549.png (1018KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503060426549.png
1018KB, 1280x720px
>>1231221
>>1231221
>loads of cool tooling in the back to play with
>bunch of cucks soldering pre-made kits on a cuck table

why?
>>
>>1231221

Not that I've been to many, but the only one I ever would have considered is really too far; nearly an hour one-way.

Plus, I couldn't really spare $100 a month. That being said, you get access to a LOT of shit for that $100. Fully-tooled woodshop section, CNC mill, CNC lathe, manual lathe, laser cutter, welding equipment (they had like 13 machines and were getting more), electronics lab, free courses in a few subjects, and people who actually knew their shit.

Just as a point of reference, I guess.
>>
File: 1501735454974.jpg (155KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1501735454974.jpg
155KB, 540x540px
>not making friends with people
>not getting to know other people that share your interests
>not being able to just ask them to help you/let you use their shit
>being so autistic that you need to pay $100 to not have to talk to people or form interpersonal relationships.
Just fucking talk to people, join an actual fucking club or group. I have friends with lathes, milling machines, shapers, ironworkers, presses, rolling mills, laser cutters, people who have access to exotic and expensive materials, and most of them have years of experience.

I hate how autistic /diy/ and most of 4chan is. Talking to people isn't hard.
>>
>>1231224
>I suppose there might actually be some people there who don't suck and can help you learn.
The one in my area has some pretty knowledgeable people around on their various domains of expertise, as one would expect from auties. The head honcho knew electronics and other technologies quite well. Great if you're a beginner and you need a mentor, or if you're advanced and you feel an urge to mentor, or if you're of any skill level and sharing a physical space with like-minded people who hopefully are GUD gets you into the headspace to make gud. Also great if you need to use a big-ass lathe or a Bridgeport on a regular basis. Otherwise, meh.

>>1231589
I suppose they moved everyone over so they didn't get the backs of anyone's head.
>>
>>1231696
talking to people is indeed easy
finding people, however, is a challenge
>>
>>1231683
holy shit I didn't even notice those very nice lathes sitting there.

If you guys live in a city, see if a hackerspace wants to get rid of some old machinery.
>>
>>1231221
>All of those tools alone in the background
>A whole table of leftards soldering bullshits
They need some /pol/ training.
>>
>>1231683
>>1231948
>People are not using the tools they don't need in the moment
Oh gee
>>
>>1231221
It depends on population density, how rich the members are and if they are all about "diversity"
>>
File: 1428883455854.jpg (405KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1428883455854.jpg
405KB, 1024x1024px
>Going outside
>Interacting with people IRL unless absolutely necessary to continue living

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>1231221
Op, it really does depend on the price and quality of the group you want to join.

It's like a gym. $100 a month, and you've got pros around you that help you, top of the line tools, and your fellow members are all pushing hard. Or do you want to spend $20 a month and go to a Planet Fatness equivalent where there's three beat up 3d printers, a lathe with a broken speed control knob, and a bunch of dirty neckbeards who don't want to help.
>>
File: 1460511787489.jpg (37KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1460511787489.jpg
37KB, 500x332px
>>1231225
>>
>>1231696
But then you have to spend all your free time helping them paint a wall, move their wife, inseminate their dog - or whatever it is that normal people spend their time doing.
>>
My local makerspace sucks ass, 75 a month

Only has a makerbot rep 5
a few vinyl cutters
drill press
table saw
and a few sewing machines

pretty much a junk heap as well, 10 fridges with no doors, bins of broken electronics, couches and furniture with no padding, in a 10x15 storage unit
>>
>>1231221
I bought a CR-10 for 400 bucks and having a blast learning Fusion 360 and printing all kinds of handy tools n stuff. The makerspace in our city is just a meetingplace for chatty makers. Most of them seem to know very little of the thing they talk about and it's way too noisy to get some work done. I rather do stuff at home (fast internet, no time wasted on driving to the makerspace, no annoying time wasters, that keep going on and on about their interest that's probably not very interesting for others).
>>
Full of people giving it, you don't want to do it like that, do it like this...then taking over.

Build up your own workshop, open it to the public for $100 per month.

Pretend to be an expert on every project.

Interfere when you blatantly don't know what you are doing.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.