[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have this cheap 6axis robot arm that uses servos. Is it possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 14_595_3.jpg (48KB, 595x595px) Image search: [Google]
14_595_3.jpg
48KB, 595x595px
I have this cheap 6axis robot arm that uses servos. Is it possible to replace servo motors with brushless motors for greater accuracy?
>>
dunno. why don't you program it to jerk you off?
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>1230612
if you have to ask then no, YOU can't.
>>
>>1230612
IDK but it's possible to power it with boners. Replace the servos with penises
>>
>>1230612
Probably not. Why do you want to replace the motors? Look up stepper motors and you'll realize you can't put any electric motor in these.
>>
>>1230615
So did that 6-axis sexbot guy die?
He hasn't posted in months.
>>
>>1230612
You could just modify the servos if you want greater accuracy.

AS5040 IC's with Circular Magnets (with circumferential field distribution) are sod all on Aliexpress.

http://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/hack-your-servo-v200

But I don't really see how its worth it on what you say is a Cheap Arm.
>>
>>1230702
thank you, you might be right that i should just invest in better arm all together.

At somepoint i would like to use the arm to lift wooden mugs into and out of my laser cutter. I would need 1-2mm precision.

Im planning to achieve final positioning with special holder where the mug falls in place by gravity. Maybe adding small damped screw press to do the weak holding in place that i need.

I have added pressure sensors to the claws so i know when i have good grip of the wooden mug.
>>
>>1230705
>to lift wooden mugs into and out of my laser cutter. I would need 1-2mm precision.

if it is always the same exact shape for the mug then you can use limit switches to know when the robot arm is in the right place. move there quickly until it makes contact, then back up and come in slowly to make contact precisely. Or you can use optical detectors if you like.

if the mugs are not all the same but have any common characteristic then you might still be able to do it using position sensors.

any time you are doing the exact same thing over and over a programmable robot arm is not ideal, but rather a fixed system that does not rely on encoders or servos but rather sensors that detect the actual location of the part you are moving.
>>
>>1230612
the servos make up about 50% of the structure.
if you remove them you are left with nothing. better off starting from scratch

>>1230705
>arm to lift wooden mugs into and out of my laser cutter.
you need fucking 5dof to do that? no i don't believe. 3 maybe. or better yet a structure actually designed for the task at hand.
>>
>>1230700
Maybe it just turned out to work really really well
>>
>>1230700
No, he is still alive, there is a thread up at the moment of him disassembling another robot arm
>>
Make your own arm using digital rather than analogue servos. More accuracy, better stationary positioning etc.
>>
>>1231812
Can servos achieve the accuracy of stepper motors? also how does toque compare?
>>
>>1232283
Steppers are probably more accurate but for what you have doings servos are fine. Also you would have to build in a some position checks for steppers - a function built into servos. You'll have to look at torque rating but metal gear high torque servos are pretty darn strong.
>>
>>1232283
>Can servos achieve the accuracy of stepper motors?

That depends on many factors. What is the step size of the stepper? Is any gear reduction involved? Is there any backlash?

A high-performance servo can easily outperform a stepper system if the encoder has enough precision, the sensors are sensitive enough, and the control system is designed well. I once saw a demonstration where a servo based system "clamped" a raw chicken's egg between two steel cups, and rapidly moved it up and down; it exerted just enough force on the egg so that it was held steady but not enough force to crack it.
>>
>>1230700
He is literally in the other robot arm thread as we speak
>>
>>1232283
apples and oranges
servo just means closed feedback loop which you can of course add to a stepper motor if you wished.
>>
>>1233407
>which you can of course add to a stepper motor if you wished.

steppers are inherently open loop because the rotation is synchronized to the pulses that are applied. typically you either establish the step rate by trial and error or by over designing. feedback does not help a stepper unless you are driving it to the limit and you don't mind breaking out of sync and missing steps and having to abandon your normal drive mode and fall back on the encoder to determine where you are. this is never done because the motion would not be smooth, even for a stepper which does not rotate smoothly in the first place, in general.

servos can be much more responsive and higher performance for the same power budget at the expense of sophisticated control electronics and a precision encoder.
>>
>>1233434
You can close the loop on a stepper, not a problem. Good for knowing your absolute position or dynamically adjusting to the load.
There isn't necessarily a difference between a brushless servomotor and a closed loop stepper.
>>
>>1233449
there is when it comes to torque and speed. adding closed loop to a stepper helps with them running cooler and the holding position, but they are still stepper motors. it also makes a differance if the closed loop is on the controller side or just on the driver side
>>
>>1230700
I love that guy
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.