[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, Quick question.... I am hard wiring my radar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 200.jpg (49KB, 978x650px) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
49KB, 978x650px
Hey /diy/,

Quick question....

I am hard wiring my radar detector so I can mount it in the exact place I want it and not have a wire hanging from the windshield.

What gauge wiring should I use to do this?

Also what is the suggested method for fusing wires together seamlessly?

I am not an electrician and have never used a soldering iron, I DO know how to solder...But only with a mini torch and on precious metals only (I'm a jeweler).

Any suggestions?
>>
>>1230451
Found out how much voltage and amperage the device requires. Google the wire gauge for that amount.

The lineman's splice and some heat shrink tubing are the best you are going to get.
>>
>>1230451
What gauge depends on the current drawn. Cross sectional are should be at least as much as the existing wire as a guide, extremely long runs might need slightly larger but probably it'll be fine.
In a car crimps are king. Soldering is great as an electrical connection but not ideal as a mechanical connection.
I solder every day but I wouldn't want to be upside down in a footwell with one and all flux spitting in my eye.
>>
>>1230458
Yea, I know I need to learn to solder with an iron but I don't want be still in the learners phase soldering next to my leather seats and carpet lol.

What car of crimps?

Should 10ft require a higher gauge wire?

I'm still trying to find online how many amps my radar detector pulls....
>>
>>1230459
>What car of crimps?

I meant what kind of car crimps?

Sorry I'm not familiar with that term
>>
>>1230460
It should have a rating on it somewhere.
Presumably it's 12V, if it tells you the power in watts you can divide power by voltage to get current.
Alternatively look at the cable it came with, see if it has the size stamped on it anywhere, otherwise strip it back and measure the size of the conductors to calculate the area.
12ft shouldn't be a problem car electrical is fucking nuts anyway, regulator in the device shouldn't be bothered about a little voltage drop.
Go into literally any car shop or diy shop or electrical shop, they will have little plastic tubes next to ratchet crimpers. They are typically red blue and yellow. The colours are for maximum currents but importantly also cable sizes which isn't always written on so look it up before you go shopping, if you don't put enough wires in a big one they will all fall out. Put some heat shrink over the whole thing for belt and braces. Don't use pvc tape unless you want a sticky messy turd.
>>
>>1230519
Thanks
>>
>>1230460
>Sorry I'm not familiar with that term
well you were the one who brought it up!

>>1230458
>in a car, crimps are king
not
>in a. car crimps are king.
need to work on my grammar anon, sorry.

afaik there isn't a thing such as a car crimp or crimps made specifically for cars but i'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me in the most humiliating way possible.
>>
>>1230451
Take a close look at that connector in OP's pic. Some radar detector power plugs have smarts in them. So there's a bit more to hard-wiring the detector than running 12 Volts to a couple of pins.
>>
>>1230451
I always wanted to do this and mount the components in different places. Ie: piezo and LEDs in cab, detection equipment in the grille, headlined into the electric of the vehicle.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.