[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the hardest project you've ever attempted? (Failed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_7349.jpg (104KB, 744x823px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7349.jpg
104KB, 744x823px
What's the hardest project you've ever attempted? (Failed or succeeded)
>>
File: 1496260140677.gif (47KB, 306x469px) Image search: [Google]
1496260140677.gif
47KB, 306x469px
>>1230286
Getting a GF.
>>
>>1230291
kek
>>
Tried to sew a leather wallet with a sewing awl once. It was slow and hard on my fingers and not worth the effort at all.

Most shameful was an attempt at removing the frets from a bass guitar. Had the wrong tool for it and made a real mess of the fingerboard. It was a cheap shitty bass though.
>>
>>1230286
plumbing always fucking sucks no matter what
>>
>>1230295
And requires 7 trips to home Depot
>>
>>1230295
>>1230305

this is true.

one of the best things i bought was pic related. with that hose you can point the flame in any direction and in tighter places.
>>
>>1230286
I made a belt using paracord. Based it on this guide:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Double-Cobra-Knot-Paracord-Belt/

Holy fuck did it take forever. I was in college at the time and I would work during lectures. I was probably putting in a solid 4-5 hours a day on it and it took about 4 days. The main problem was when you start, the bundles of the cord are very large and it is really cumbersome to weave them. So not worth it. It is a nice belt though.
>>
>>1230286
Failed: rebuilding an engine
Succeed: revamping the interior of a house (new floors, wall repairs, plumbing, roof repairs, fixing the fuck ups from the dumbass she hired before me, etc)
>>
>>1230286
Making cordage from local plants.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+plant+cordage&tbm=vid
>>
>>1230308
I was using a diy resistance solderer for a while made from a microwave transformer. I need to find a new source for small blocks of graphite for it now. But, holy shit it was really really nice to use in tight spots where flame can't be used. You can sweat a joint in about 10-15 seconds and most of that time is just the cool down before taking the tongs off. I still fucking hate sweating pipes though.

>pic somewhat related
>>
>>1230337
>I still fucking hate sweating pipes though.

that sounds like a cool setup. but yeah, even when it works perfectly I hate sweating pipes.

my main shutoff valve leaks, and I don't have any sort of drain valve, so the pipe I'm sweating is always filling up with water. After cussing for a few years every time I had to do a repair, I realized that I could open a faucet somewhere and use my air compressor to blow all the water out of the pipe and have plenty of time to finish before it filled back up.
>>
>>1230286
What's with people and bringing their hippie businessman synergy buzzwords everywhere they fucking go?
>>
File: i-bKBdmsV-L.jpg (94KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-bKBdmsV-L.jpg
94KB, 799x450px
>>1230286
Biggest project so far is the one I'm just about to finish up.
Kitchen remodel.
>1972 original-with-the-house cabinets out
>Cheap-ass counters out
>Remove soffits
>Remove stick-on """"tiles"""", underlayment
>Replace subfloor (water damage)
>New underlayment and tile floor
>New cabinets (On order)
>New counters (probably granite, after cabinets)

Bathroom, same shit to a somewhat lesser extent
>Fix jacuzzi tub pump (impeller/seal)
>Old plastic tub surround out
>Fix drywall
>New cement board and tile surround
>New vanity

First time doing drywall to this extent, and plumbing... fuck plumbing. Electrical isn't too hard for me being an EE.

Plan was to fix the place up this summer and get out of here... i'm done with the small garage and HOA. With the HOA going for FHA approval again and school starting up, I think i'm going to slow down on this remodel a bit and wait till spring to list it. Gives me some time to use/enjoy/see what I like/hate about all the work i've done.

>this house is meme'd
>>
Replacing the tread boards and a couple underside supports on an obnoxiously steep staircase. It took me a 4 damn days because the attic they went to was 98° and everything in the staircase was a different size.
>>1230372
I don't have a picture, but a house I lived in was used as a squat in the 80s, and while remodeling I found a little mural of a Nixon characature getting plowed by the devil, who had Reagan's face.
>>
I once had to fix a blown head gasket and slipped timing belt in the dead of winter inside a vacant warehouse in under 10 hours overnight lest I be arrested for trespassing or miss work. I succeeded, but that was the most stressful repair experience I've ever had.
>>
File: i-Nb4bNT9-L.jpg (163KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-Nb4bNT9-L.jpg
163KB, 799x450px
>>1230400
The people I bought it from bought the place on short-sale from a hoarder who died in here.

The tub drain was always running slow. Inspector caught it, and the first few days I lived here the tub filled from the shower faster than it drained.
Pour a bunch of draino down there, next day it's still running slow.
Pour the rest of the draino down there, no improvement.
Bought a snake. Shoved 'er down there.
Snaked out a bunch of toothpicks, disposable razor heads, other unidentifiable solids, and a fucking kitchen-size plastic trash bag.
Drain worked fucking great after that was removed.

Still need to gut the bathroom... not sure what artwork I'm going to put on those walls.
Dick Butt lives behind the dishwasher, there's two Pepes in the bedroom.

>those comics are dated "Sunday, July 27, 1980"
>>
>>1230291
It could be worse, for me it's planning a wedding. In the middle of making the cake stand.
>>
I'm currently doing a full remodel of the house I inherited when my father passed away a few months back. It's the house I grew up in, and is roughly 30 years old, and hasn't been maintained well, or updated in all those years. So aside from gutting everything down to subfloor and drywall, I also had to repair 2 spots that were damaged from years of water. In total I had to patch 4 rotted floor joists, and replaced about 6 sheets worth of subfloor. I've also had to tackle a good bit of wiring, removed 3 walls and made appropriate reinforcement, so it would have a more open floor plan. One of the downstairs bathrooms has been converted into a large bathroom, so I had to do some plumbing, new supplies and a new branch of drains with vent. I've done a fuck ton of trim work, tile work, flooring, cabinets and counters, new front and rear doors (frames and all), new lighting fixtures, and a bunch of other shit. Been going at it for about 3 months and I'm almost finished with the inside. The outside for now only requires a little siding repair, some paint, fascia board replacement, casement window rot repairs, and building a new front and rear deck ( I had to remove them to do sill plate repairs, and install new rim joists). So far I've only spent about $9,000. Had I paid contractors to do all of the shit I've done myself, it would have been more like $30,000-$40,000.

Before picture, just after pulling up 80's brown carpet, and snatching out the dated cabinets and appliances.
>>
File: untitled-120824.jpg (709KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-120824.jpg
709KB, 1600x900px
>>1230655

And after, as of about a month ago. I've done a lot more since, but don't have pictures.
>>
File: IMG_3724.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3724.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1230286
do you really need all that to replace a faucet? i replaced my grandmas faucet in a few hours by myself. easy
>>
File: can't see shit captain.jpg (92KB, 1211x707px) Image search: [Google]
can't see shit captain.jpg
92KB, 1211x707px
>>1230286
Building a rebreather. It was a succes.
>>
>>1230530
KEK. Solid ideas m8
>>
>>1231055
hate to tell you anon but you aren't quite finished with that job. on the plus side your grandma must be very polite to you not to have said anything.
>>
>>1231442
Garden hose is sticking through the window just out of frame
>>
>>1230655
>>1230656

I'm sorry for your loss, anon. This job looks good as hell, though. You're going to have a nice house when you're done. I think he'd be proud.
>>
>>1230328
>calling someone else a dumbass when you can't follow a simple rebuild procedure
>>
>>1231442
top keks bro
>>
>>1230352
You used white bread to plug the pipe, yeah sounds pretty weird but a mexican construction guy tought me that.
>>
>>1230286
We built a pretty sizable house by hand. I mean, we had tools but no cranes or talehandler or nothing. Had a little john deere tractor on a sketchy skid with a ladder on it. We got truses over 40 foot in the air by hand.

0 ppe unless you count a nylon rope my buddy used for a safety line to sheet it. His counterweight was his brother.

We pulled every sibgle piece of sheeting onto that roof by hand. Doesn't seam bad until its been all day and u still cant get it to flip over the edge of the house with the home made clamps. They didnt clear to well.

We got it done and I got laid off on my 21st birthday. Kinda figured it was coming but we had hope. 3 of my best friends at the time and I built one house together and thay was it.
>>
>>1230372
Well played sir. I was injured and living with family. Bought my house sight unseen on payments.

OI...... never buy a fixer upper that is more fixer
>>
>>1230414
3 days in -10 degrees. Heater core on dodge durango. All of the plugs are the same amd i was about the 20th person in that dash. Like a shitty not fun model car kit going back in. Never own another dodge
>>
File: untitled-145929.jpg (646KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-145929.jpg
646KB, 900x1600px
>>1231485
Thanks. It's been a fun project, overall. I already had experience as a carpenter, and as a furniture maker/woodworker, so those skills have been very helpful through this.

Almost finished in the bathroom, which used to be an old bedroom. Just a little more sanding on drywall patches, some paint, and a little more trim.

I just sort of jumped into the bathroom without any real plans, and have just been winging it, coming up with things as I go. Turning out pretty nice though, I think. Just wish I had planned my toilet supply location a bit better. Did it about 6" too far out from the toilet.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.