[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of redoing a disgusting shower, any general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: Williams, Ellen tub.preview.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Williams, Ellen tub.preview.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
I'm thinking of redoing a disgusting shower, any general advice?

I live in a friend's house, and said friend doesn't give 2 shits about home maintenance. As such, the upstairs shower both myself and a roommate use has gone to shit. It's a standard tube against tile. All of the caulk work has corroded, and I suspect (know) that there's water damage. We've re-caulked it but it still gets eaten away immediately. I'm going to also assume there's a fuck ton of mold.

Pic Related is probably what I'm going to come across. The homeowner will let me just expense the materials out of my rent, but I'll need to move pretty fast (homeowner's shower is even more disgusting and roommate doesn't have another place he can shower).
>>
>>1229974
Strip the tiles. Let the wall dry and apply this green water resistant paint, or pull the wall out and redo everything. Also apply vinegar if you want to keep that wall, just in case.
>>
File: 074507047318.jpg (16KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
074507047318.jpg
16KB, 900x900px
>>1229976
Thanks for the recommendation with the water resistant paint, as I think I'd rather "band-aid" it then go through with replacing dry-wall and probably flooring. I'm going to pick up a basic tub and abandon the tile idea with something like Pic related.

Something low maintenance with less chance to add to the damage.
>>
>>1230057
>as I think I'd rather "band-aid" it
Then why bother doing any repairs at all? Seriously, wet rot, dry rot, mold, decay and other problems exist with this bathroom. IF you simply put a fiberglass/vinyl surround over everything you've done nothing other than turn a blind eye to the damages.

Don't do what >>1229976 said, paint isn't good for tile adhesion. You should strip it down to the studs and just redo the tile mud and drywall. Drywall is cheap. Look in your town for a salvation army "restore" you can get cheap building materials others have donated from their projects.
>>
>>1230261
>Drywall is cheap.

be sure to use the special kind for tile.
>>
And don't do what >>1230261 said. Cement board is what should be there, not drywall, not green board, or plywood (I don't care if it's "marine grade").

OP: Since it's not your house, your plan is fine.

But keep in mind that the new parts you put in will really make everything else in the room look ten times worse. Spend a few hours scrubbing everything and detail everything that will remain in place. Maybe consider throwing down some sheet vinyl flooring too, so at least when you open the shower curtain, it's not so depressing to step on that floor.
>>
>>1230276
This. Concrete board if tile. Green board if drywall. Both are fairly cheap.
The insert is fine, just follow instructions and look up a few YouTube videos to cover some basics. Finish with waterproof caulking (silicone).
>>1230261
This also. You'll need to treat dry rot and mold, or it will appear on your new work.
>>
File: damage-1.jpg (10KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
damage-1.jpg
10KB, 300x225px
>>1230383
>This also. You'll need to treat dry rot and mold, or it will appear on your new work.

OP Returns. After reading through the comments and taking a trip to Lowes, I'm really debating how I want to proceed. I guess at this point, knowing that there's water damage and mold, I'm concerned dropping the $500 for the new shower walls and floor only to have it start to look like shit soon after anyway.

Thankfully the rest of the bathroom isn't in too bad of a shape (I cleaned the fuck out of it when I moved in). We recently repainted it, going to change the lighting fixture with a custom piece, and the actual sink/cabinet/toilet are all fine. If this was my house, it wouldn't ever had gotten so bad, and I wouldn't hesitate to rip everything out and treat the damage properly, but I'd be sad to go through with the efforts on a facelift if the existing damage will just shit it up again anyway.

There are some people who should just live in an Apartment forever,.
>>
File: i-5L55Nxw-L.jpg (36KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-5L55Nxw-L.jpg
36KB, 338x600px
>>1230057
>I'm going to pick up a basic tub and abandon the tile idea with something like Pic related.
Have to be careful with those - needs real good adhesion to the backer (probably greenboard) in order to work and remain low-maintenance.
Without good adhesion, the thin plastic will warp/bend with heat from the shower, which puts mechanical stress on the caulk between surround and tub. When that starts to peel away, water from the tub surround drips down into that gap and gets everything behind the tub wet.

You'll still want to peel the old caulk off and re-do that every two or three years.

My fix for now is duct tape over all the seams - working surprisingly well, and as soon as I wrap up the kitchen cabinets/counters, the surround and greenboard is coming down, cement board and tile is going up.

Tile isn't all that much more difficult; Home Depot offers 1-hour seminars on how to /diy/ tile walls in shower/bath/kitchen/etc. There's still maintenance with it (clean/seal grout every few years, caulk periodically) but it's a lot more durable, looks a lot nicer, and will greatly increase the value of the building if/when you sell.

>also, fuck that jetted tub

>>1230383
>Concrete board if tile. Green board if drywall. Both are fairly cheap.
This anon knows.

>>1230524
>There are some people who should just live in an Apartment forever,.
fucking THIS.
There's a bunch of guys I know that need their toolboxes welded shut too.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.