[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you store all your tools, junk, random bits of wire, things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

How do you store all your tools, junk, random bits of wire, things that you have no immediate use for but are too good to throw away, etc?
>>
>>1229251
I bought a shitload of acro bins on amazon/msc and a benchtop rack for them.

Definitely better than not having them. I'm trying to figure out how to store my shit better too.
>>
In old cans that eventually get so full of shit I can never be bothered to spend hours combing through them.

Might as well just dump them in the trash.
>>
>>1229251
I have a big acro bin for:

hammers,
pens/pencils/paint-pens/paper,
snippers/clippers/nippers/scissors,
screwdrivers,
and some other shit I can't name at the moment

this benchtop thing + the size bins you want

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000189CW8
>>
File: Bass-Fishing-Tackle-Box.jpg (74KB, 1125x750px) Image search: [Google]
Bass-Fishing-Tackle-Box.jpg
74KB, 1125x750px
>>1229251
I hoard my electronic parts in fishing tackle box.
>>
>>1229251
I stick everything in boxes and stash them all over my room, garage, and shed. Every so often I get an itch to reduce and go through it all, chucking out or giving away stuff I've never needed and condensing what I think I still need. Then, like a yoyo dieter, the process will repeat.
>>
>>1229251
I have had a good time for little bits using ziplocks. Stored in boxes just big enough to flip through like a file folder (shoe box-ish). Labeled tape on the top of bags and front of boxes. Boxes stacked on shelves. Small enough to take down to a bench. The bags I need get hung on a small clothes line over my bench. Clip up the bags to keep workspace clear but still keeps parts in veiw.
Ive done this in the past, will do this as I get settled in this new place and learned it from a grizzled old ham.
>>
>>1229431

I like this idea. Will give it a try. Thanks!
>>
>>1229375
Me too, me too!
>>
Most men, like the ones in this thread claiming to use bins, baggies, and tackle boxes, in reality use a system called a "pile." It's a lot like archeology: there are layers to the pile. None of us knows exactly where in the pile something is when we start looking for it, but we know instinctually which pile to look in, and in what layer to start looking as well. We're usually right, within a few months, too. I have citations on this system going back to at least the 1930's, so it's a time honored system, and it works. Do not underestimate the pile, OP.
>>
>>1229671
I actually have more difficulty finding stuff since starting a more organized bin & label system if the thing i want is not in the bin it's supposed to be. With the piles i knew where everything was. Put something in a bin without a label specifically referring to it and i'll search for hours next time i need it.

I think it's a problem with not having everything in plain view because of the bins. Maybe if i just hang everything on the walls in baggies or something that would work better.
>>
>>1229759
>if the thing i want is not in the bin it's supposed to be.

well obviously no system can handle that.

what I try to do, and it's hard to be consistent, is keep notes either on paper or in a text file that tell me where something is stored. The hard part is using the perfect description so that I can text-search the file and locate it. That's harder than one might think, because when I'm storing a part it might be in one context, but two years later that same part might be needed in a different context. So when I list something I try to come up with every possible way imaginable to describe it.

It's awesome when you can go directly to an obscure thing you stored years ago, as compared to those times when I know it's there but have to spend hours finding it.

One key to the storage problem is to get enough wealth so you can keep your stuff at the store or at some online retailer.
>>
>>1229671
Personally I use the "modified pile" method. Stuff is generally sorted into categories, and those are then stored in bins. When I need something, I look at the bins from across the room, and then buy all new parts. Then I take the leftover bits and add them to the appropriate bin.

This has the advantage of looking semi-organized while never having to dig through any bin for anything ever.
>>
>>1229251
In this until i get shelves up in my other building an give or throw half or more of it away.

Feels batman...

Faggot fucking massive piss elm forks at the bottom. I was about 50 feet away with my wife headed to the neighbor's basement and looked back to scream at my faggot bkue heeler who wanted to play instead of hide from a tornado. Looke back just in time to see lightning hit that faggot monkey tree.

Now the other forked half is leaning towards my house.

When i bought that house i told my wife every single fucking tree that can fall and wreck this shithole is coming down. She said no...

Remove monkey tree from groing into my house $3,000.

Remove monkey tree at the fork and 3 others $3,000.

$6,000 of money i don't have on fucking trees...
>>
File: Screenshot_20170818-141639.png (902KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170818-141639.png
902KB, 720x1280px
>>1229864
Of course i forgot pic like always...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.