[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Connecting a shed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: shed.jpg (655KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
shed.jpg
655KB, 3264x2448px
what's the craic lads? I have a garden shed very similar to pic related. Its 10-15 metres away from the house and its already been connected to the houses electricity.

The problem is that my WiFi signal isn't very strong. Two bars at BEST. What are my options here?

I was thinking of running an ethernet cable from my house to the shed but then do I install an ethernet port or just plug the wire into my PC/Laptop/Console ?
>>
My shop is more than that distance from my router. Look into best router/wifi dongle combo.

I connected a USB wifi adapter to a long USB cable then sealed the adapter to cable and covered the entire adapter with 3M 5200.

It's worked nicely for eight years so far. Dongle hangs outside the wall of my steel building. Any weatherproof (not RTV, but serious shit like 3M 5200 or a non-metallic epoxy would do.
>>
If you already have a spare conduit running there, just pull some CAT5e (or CAT6e) cable through it. :D
Install a jack at each end, surge protection if you care to, and then patch it into your router on the end at the house, and then plug whatever you desire into it in the shed.
This is the best, ideal solution.
It should be compliant with all local electrical and building codes, especially if it's surge protected.

If you do not have conduit / have no spare conduit run, you could get 'direct burial' cable and bury it in the ground directly. This is to code in most places, and I definitely recommend surge protection in this case.

If you cannot bury a cable, and you only have space in the conduit with the electrical cables, you could TRY running it through there but, the AC power interference over that long a run, being sandwiched with power cables... may not be too good. (So, maybe get shielded CAT6e cable if going this route?)
It's really against building codes in a lot of areas to do this though, so I wouldn't advise it. Go with wireless in this case.

I'd probably set up a wireless client bridge receiver on the shed, kind of like what >>1227666 was talking about, but a little fancier.
Then surge protect the line coming into the shed, and install a jack there. Plug in whatever you want. :D
(Look up ENS202EXT... Wireless b/g bridge that's cheap af. Works well from my experience. Weatherproof. Comes with their PoE adapter so you only run one cable.)
>>
>>1227674
i have the same issue as OP, and have considered some of these options. one option might be ethernet run over the power lines. they make these wifi repeaters you can plug into wall sockets, and you'd just need one out in the shed since power is run out there already.

another option, since i'm expanding my network to use PoE for security cameras, is to simply run a PoE ethernet cable to the back porch or garage, and install a Ubiquiti outdoor access point. just getting another WiFi access closer to the shed should improve things dramatically.
>>
>>1227655
Easy/cheap solution, get a Netgear ac1200 repeater, I use one with my neighbor across the street and get 150Mbps down and it's easily 10-15 meters. More difficult option run cat 6 or fiber.
>>
>>1227674
I'd have to run it along the garden wall alongside the electricity cable the.

How long would a Cat5e or 6e line last outdoors?
>>
>>1227682
This.

40 or 50 bucks and they work pretty good. I don't know what kind of speeds you need out in the shop, but I set one up for my dad and he can watch bad asian drivers on youtube out in his garage without issue.
>>
>>1227711

They make outdoor-rated cable I believe. Of course it makes a big difference what kind of exposure they'll be getting; if they're mostly out of the rain/sun/ice they'll last a long ass time.
>>
>>1227723
I live in Ireland so it'll mostly be light rain
>>
>>1227655

that's a very nice cuckshed OP where's the pic from
>>
>>1227655
>then do I install an ethernet port or just plug the wire into my PC/Laptop/Console
you can do either, makes no difference.
if you have the tools a port on the wall maybe looks better and if you damage the cable you don't have to replace the whole thing, just unplug. but you need more parts and tools to do it.

>>1227711
fuck me please show us the electric cable.
t&e clipped? lol.
what is it connected to? rcd?
what are your earthing arrangements?

the sheath will degrade outside from UV even in drizzle. water ingress will kill the cable
>>
If its connected to the houses electricity then use a powerline thing
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-pa4010kit-av600-nano-powerline-starter-kit-a89wh
>>
>>1227849
This.

50 bux and youre set. Fuck wifi, you can put a cheap wifi router in there and use it as an access point.
>>
>>1227849
easiest simplest solution
>>
File: IMG_0705.jpg (258KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0705.jpg
258KB, 2000x2000px
Jeez you autist want to over engineer everything. Pic related, point toward house, done for less that a dollar.
>>
>>1227655
You can buy a range extended for 30 bucks
>>
File: network.png (2MB, 1786x605px) Image search: [Google]
network.png
2MB, 1786x605px
The process of installing ethernet is very easy
The hard part is running the wire itself.

>run single cat5e wire
>strip ethernet wire jacket
>put wires into the color coded slots, use the tool to jam wire into slots of the cat5e keystone insert
>snap the keystone insert into the faceplate or surface mount box
>do this on both sides
>plug ethernet cable inside house to the router
>plug ethernet cable inside shed to a single device or buy an "ethernet switch" which is just a small hub allowing you to plug in multiple devices to a single ethernet plug

Like I said he hard part is actually getting the wire from your router to your shed. The other anon did a good job of laying that out.

In the picture there is the insert shown on a regular face plate. You have to cut a hole in the wall and install a wall box just like you would installing a light switch or an outlet.
If you can easily snake the cat5e through your wall to outside of the house (or into conduit or whever you plan on the wire being installed) it looks great.

On the far right there is also a picture of a "surface mount" box where you dont want to or cant cut out the wall and install a wall box and faceplate. You just screw it to the wall and drill a hole in the floor and snake the wire through the ceiling of the basement or crawlspace. It just looks stupid.

FWIW I installed ethernet into 2 rooms in my house.
>modem installed right next to old unused phone jack which was a surface mounted box
>removed phone jack and pulled wire
>installed 2 keystone insert sized surface mount box and ran 2 cat5e cables through the existing hole into the crawlspace
>snaked it up into both bedroom walls, cut out holes and installed in wall for both bedrooms

Wifi sucks, wired is the way to go if you can swing it
>>
If you go with the cable option run at least two lines, that way if one fails you can fallback on the other. Another advantage is you have extra capacity if you need it.
>>
>>1227682
>run cat 6 or fiber.
>fiber
I see your lack of thinking. You forgot about the extra hardware slick.
>>
>>1229541
cat6 is more for business buildings so cat5e would do just fine
>>
>>1229541
Cat 6 is dumb, sure. The wiring and connector requirements to actually get rated speed are dumb, you're going to end up getting regular gigabit speeds anyway, so you may as well juts get 5e.

Fiber is new hardware, but doing copper is extra hardware too. You should be buying shielded burial rated cable, and putting a gas tube lightning arrestor on both ends. Then you need to ground both ends. Bleh.

You can get fiber and some fiber media convertors for not much more, then you have a real speed benefit too.
>>
>>1227655
Get a directional antenna with more than 7dBi, place it on the wall outside your house and point it towards the shed.
>>
>>1229598
What speed benifit? More like a huge financial loss.

And why does everyone suggest to bury cat every fucking time?

Fuck these threads never change.

We have one every day.
>>
If you have eletrical to the shed, use the same tube to pass the cat5e cables
>>
>>1229852
and install a ethernet socket but put a surge cutter in the power wire... to avoid ruining your devices
>>
>>1229737
Don't bury the cat, bury a duct and pull whatever you want. Is recommended because its the best method for most situations.

>>1229852
As long as all cables have insulation resistance rated to the highest voltage of any cable in the duct this should pass building regs but its kinda stupid because interference. I don't know how derating would apply either.
>>
>>1227680
>ethernet run over the power lines
That emits a LOT of EM noise. At the distances OP is talking about a normal CAT6 would do.
>>
>>1229857
>kinda stupid because interference
Is common-mode interference really a problem?
>>
>>1229959
of course, when the signal(+/-) noise is outside the input range of the receiver.
>>
>>1227674
This but DO NOT run then cat 5 of coax in with your high voltage wires
>>
>>1229573
well no shit and i didnt say anything about running anything
>>
>>1229598
as i said to this guy >>1229573 plus im not the one needing a whole damn story. my post was a reply to >>1227682
>>
ITT retards that can't read a post and replies to the wrong person.
>>
>>1229992
>1500V isolation transformers
I doubt it.

>>1230018
Who are you talking to, namefag?
>>
>>1229857
No pulling any cable sucks hairy balls.

I just use power line adapters like normal people unless I had a conduit to pull through.
>>
>>1230248
>I just use power line adapters like normal people
Some of us are not normies and don't use junk like that
>>
>>1229737
$90 more for fiber vs doing copper right for 100m. Price difference drops dramatically as distance increases.

>not burying cat.
I'm not sure what you are suggesting as an alternative? Power line? It's shit. Aerial with a support strand? Well okay? Kinda ugly but if you don't mind...
>>
>I have a garden shed very similar to pic related.
>The problem is that my WiFi signal isn't very strong
Can your wife just show you the video later?
>>
>>1230310
Power line converters are 60 bux a set. Media converters are 50 bux each. The cost is my point.

>>1230298
Who the fuck said I was a normie? I've used that shit for 8 years and 4 houses. I sync file shares with it at full speed while streaming anime. It's literally how I solved this same problem between the house and garage every time I moved.

I just use them for the uplink.

Why can noone seem to make them work or have such hatred for such a thing on this board?

I can't see someone burying a line for less than 2 bills. I'd understand if OP wanted other services or empty conduits with the run but just one Cat5e? Seems like such a waste if effort and alot of money for some YouTube in the shed.
>>
>>1231490
>Why can noone seem to make them work or have such hatred for such a thing on this board?

Because they are slow and spotty
>>
>>1231502
So what I'm just lucky? I find that hard to believe.
>>
>>1231511
You have low standards for your network
>>
>>1231518
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/homeplug-av2-powerline-networking-adapters,4218-6.html

I just ran iperf to a shitty atom board 150' away and still busted 70 mbits. That's enough for wifi and streaming blue rays in a shed.

>low standards

Whatever you say pal.
>>
>>1231572
>bragging about a 70mbit network post 1996

Do you use NetWare for share and printer management too?
>>
>>1231703
It's a goddam shed not a server farm. 10mbit does Netflix.

But then this is diy. You can't suggest cheap no labor solutions that work here.
>>
>>1231846
>You can't suggest cheap no labor solutions that work here.

A wifi extender would be cheaper, easier, and work as well or better. But thats not what OP asked about
>>
>>1232039
You clearly haven't used wifi extenders if you think they are better than anything.
>>
>>1232069
"It's a goddam shed not a server farm."
>>
>>1231490
>>1231511
>>1231572

being this mad on the happy /diy/ forum. sad!
>>
A bad or nonexistent data-over-power connection, while possible depending on how the shed is wired, would also indicate that it's probably a poor idea to run straight copper due to potential grounding issues.

If powerline doesn't do it the right way is a buried fiber run and the good enough way is a WokFi pointed at a wireless bridge device.
>>
>>1232212
2nd this.
The only correct way is fiber.

Media converters are dime a dozen now (or rather about USD$50 for a gigabit one, you'll need two and a however long length of multimode fiber - budget around $150 for 150ft all-in including the converters)
>>
>>1232271

If a power module doesn't work usually the screws are loose on the socket.

>it's probably a poor idea to run straight copper dur to potential grounding issues.

Utp is isolated at the nics. Nice troll.

>>1232207

Naw I just do this for a living. And these fiber fags are neglecting to mention the terminating costs as well.

Diy is like USA for the space pen race. They spent millions of dollars to develop and build a pen that would work up there.

The Russians used a pencil.
>>
>>1232419
>le russian space pen meme
kys
or maybe google something to test its veracity rather than repeating it like a mindless drone.
>>
>>1232460
It was metaphorical and even if untrue it perfectly made my point.

I actually own a Fischer pen.
>>
File: 1435253292961.jpg (26KB, 479x358px) Image search: [Google]
1435253292961.jpg
26KB, 479x358px
>>1227655

>take a large thin metal bowl
>like a wok or some shit
>drill a hole in center
>put dongle through hole
>
>>
>>1232486
>russians used old technology that left graphite floating in the air and destroyed sensitive space equipment
>the us spending money in r&d to fix the problem is a bad thing

I don't see how it makes your point at all
>>
>>1232491
Typical

My point was there's alot of simple cheap solutions that solve the problem of providing Ethernet to a shed 15m away from a house.

But on this thread everyone always calls for trenching. The previous anon suggests using fiber bavure of grounding issues - which is total bs.

I'll give you a better one then: don't use cannon go kill fly.
>>
>>1232510
Utp is isolated at the nics in a tiny little transformer. That's not the same as a gas tube grounding block that will keep your house from exploding when lightning strikes your 150ft piece of copper.

You buy the fiber preterminated.
>>
>>1232527
Ya I've done that. I always end up refusing cause the tech always fucks then ends.

At least buy Camlocks of you go this route. Vfls are cheap too.
>>
>>1227655
Either buy a repeater or run an ethernet cable. If it's for a stationary device(especially if it's console), run a cable since ethernet is objectively superior to wifi latency and bandwith wise. Or you could buy powerline adapterals but that won't serve you well if your house's wiring is shit.
>>
>>1232933
Are you cleaning your connectors? Are you pulling the heads? Mine always come with a loss reading sheet, verifying it's a good cable.

Selling a fiber optic cable with a shitty splice/connector on it is the definition of not fit for purpose
>>
>>1233076
No its what my techs end up doing cause of where they have to go with the cables. They always core too small for the ends, or step on them or some bullshit.

Not saying OP will do that but shit happens.
>>
File: 1502597261304.jpg (36KB, 529x604px) Image search: [Google]
1502597261304.jpg
36KB, 529x604px
>>1227655
sup Rob?
>>
Internet over power dumbass cheap effective
>>
>>1233225
Yea I tried. Can't convince diy of this, even if it means tightening screws.
>>
>>1233476
>Can't convince diy of this

To be a lazy fuck and make a shit network?
>>
>>1233554
No you dumass

To try it and see how far you can go with it. Tightening the screws is all you have to do if it's shitty.

If anything was diy, it would be that, and it's cheap.

If it failed, ok, bring it back, spend more money, run 24 fiber idgaf. But not this diy board. Seems everyone has deep pockets here and always go straight to trenching a line.

If those things didn't work they wouldn't sell.
>>
>>1233582
>If anything was diy, it would be that, and it's cheap.

No, thats something your grandmother does buying it off of QVC under the guise or "its cheap and easy!"
Its not that much harder or more expensive to do it right in the first place
>>
>>1233554
That's /diy/ "it's easier so it must be worse" autism. Powerline is fine for home networking and quite often flatly superior to an amateur's ethernet install, where is falls apart is that it's a shared rather than switched medium and multiple high-throughput local-to-local connections bog it down.

Residential use cases rarely have local-to-local connections at all, and they're typically low-throughput (XBMC, sporadic small file transfer) if they occur.
>>
>>1233584
If your power terminations are noisy enough to kill the speed they deserve to be tightened up.

>not that much harder or more expensive

>50 bux and maybe 2 screwdrivers. Totally refundable and reversible.

>laying a cable between 2 buildings requires un returnable material, power tools, and an irreversible process usually leading to a 3 digit bill to start IF done right

Nigga wut?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.