[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, first time posting here and I have a blacksmithing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4827.jpg (549KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4827.jpg
549KB, 1920x1080px
Hey /diy/, first time posting here and I have a blacksmithing question.

I'm setting up a backyard forge and I've found a thick tool steel plate at the junkyard to use as am anvil (hopefully). Problem: it's around 20lbs, so very much on the light side. How do I set it up so that it doesn't bounce or shift as I hammer away? Drilling through it for bolts would be a pain in the ass, but feasible, I'm just asking if tere are any alternatives (like clamping it down tightly with wooden blocks or setting it in a bigass block of clay to absorb vibration).
>>
el bumpo
>>
>>1227546
Best bet is to weld some chain to the sides of it and then mount it on a tree stump, 20lb though you could also strap it into some 2x4's and stick it on a saw horse or something
>>
Pour out a cylinder of concrete and get a masonry chisel and chunk out the space for the plate to sit in it. Just a half in and half out. For shits and gigs, buy a neodymium magnet and put it in the concrete below the steel plate and sink it in only the face shows and lay the plate on top of it
>>
File: 1.png (10KB, 784x598px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
10KB, 784x598px
>>1227606
strapping it into 2x4s was one of my original ideas, something that I would mount on a stump or on a section of an old wooden beam (ancient house, so we have a ton of those lying around). Alternatively, I thought of something like pic related

>>1227616
wouldn't a magnet react poorly to repeated shocks? Same in regards to concrete, I wouldn't trust it to hold for very long under frequent hammer strikes, even with a steel plate as a buffer. Plus, it dowsn't feel like it would reduce the ringing of the steel, which I hear can be deafening.
>>
File: comet knee mill.jpg (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
comet knee mill.jpg
101KB, 640x480px
>>1227546
even blacksmiths have machine tools these days

>>1227624
get a chainsaw and find a thick tree, cut a stump to use as a worktable (a big tree)

>>1227616
pouring a concrete worktable sounds like a good idea too
>>
>>1227624
Magnet on the anvil really knocks down the noise, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just an old car speaker magnet seems to work fine
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.