[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help fixing a stupid mistake. I have put my wine bottler

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170813_212538.jpg (1MB, 3409x4531px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_212538.jpg
1MB, 3409x4531px
Please help fixing a stupid mistake.

I have put my wine bottler into a damp storage for 2 months and ended up with pic related. The bottom spring doesn't even move, whereas it should adjust when the arm is raised. The arm can be moved, but needs force applied, a lot more than usual. So that spring is also rusted.

Most important question first: what do I do to fix this and what do I use to give the metal parts a cover to protect from further rusting?

Second, is it safe to take it apart and manage the rust that way, or it would preserve the integrity of the screws to spray while it is in one piece, then take it apart and do the fine work?

Thank you in advance. I never had to deal with rust before.
>>
File: IMG_20170813_212439.jpg (796KB, 2738x3440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_212439.jpg
796KB, 2738x3440px
>>1227179
Further images.
>>
File: IMG_20170813_212553.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_212553.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
>>1227180
>>
File: IMG_20170813_212453.jpg (1MB, 3259x4284px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_212453.jpg
1MB, 3259x4284px
>>1227182
I hope this can be fixed. Doesn't look so bad, but of course scared me when I took it out. I wanted to use it tomorrow for cider bottling.
>>
>>1227179
that;s some nasty corrosion

Take it apart and clean it up, salvage what you can.

Broken screws/bolts can be replaced. Extracting a broken screw/bolt is a manly skill. Learn it

The spring can be replaced pretty easily. Loads of resources on the internet.

Brake cleaner is my go-to for anything organic. Vinegar or any acid will take care of the rust.

Repaint with any number of rustoleum products.
>>
>>1227179

lol, what a dumbass
>>
>>1227185
>I wanted to use it tomorrow for cider bottling
I mean you could...
>>
>>1227189
Thank you, will do citric acid bath cleaning then. Didn't know vinegar was good for rust too, I use it as a general cleaning detergent. I prefer citric acid though, it is a bit more gentle to the materials.

>>1227245
Cannot fit the bottles to height at the moment, it is so rusted.
>>
>>1227179
Douse it with penetrating fluid and take a wire brush to it. Enough manpower will make it move freely again.
>>
>>1227179
OP... You know that screwtop wine is JUST as good as corked, right?
>>
2nd that vinegar idea

superlube is food safe, otherwise maybe mineral oil
>>
>>1227248
ok, so first off imo electralysis works better to fix rust, but a mild acid bath will help loosen so you can scrub it with a brass bristle brush. Brass wont scratch up the steel, scratched steel rusts faster. Give it a bath in baking soda water once you've scrubbed off the corrosion, and then a coat of light oil or wax, mineral oil or baby oil probably because food safe.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.