[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any idea wtf is with the shit all around this drain pipe? This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: 20170811_210200.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_210200.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Any idea wtf is with the shit all around this drain pipe?

This is a pipe that drains the washing machine into the sewer line.
>>
kill it with fire
>>
File: drain.jpg (272KB, 716x1275px) Image search: [Google]
drain.jpg
272KB, 716x1275px
>>1226204

God fucking damn I'm sick of images not rotating the way they should. Here's a similar shot but rotated, not sure if it helps make out what's going on
>>
>>1226204
Based on that calcified sludge my best bet is rotted leaves and whatever managed to climb up there got stuck and died.
>>
Maybe a bad DIY repair, using roofing tar.
>>
>>1226212

Just to be clear this is indoors. The dirt at the bottom is a combination of rust that fell off the corroded outlet box above the drain, plus some old insulation and paper. And it's wet so it looks darker than it really is. So I'm not sure leaves would be involved.
>>
>>1226222
this. looks like someone stuffed that copper pipe into the old sewer drain, and sealed it with roofing tar.
>>
>>1226204
this is some nasty gore
>>
>>1226222
>>1226227

I did find a can of roofing tar in the shed...god damn crazy old man, wtf was he thinking?
>>
>>1226204
looks a lot like tar to me but why the fuck would anyone tar a pipe?
>>
>>1226278
>tar a pipe

I lurk /diy/ for moments like this.
>>
>>1226227
That's a fucking expensive chunk of copper too. I wonder how long it is.
>>
>>1226278
Well why the fuck not? Tar is pretty stable under normal circumstances.
I have used it multiple times, when I didn't have polyurethane foam to connect PVC pipes to old concrete ones.
You just have to be careful to not pour it inside the pipe.
>>
>>1226278
>why the fuck would anyone tar a pipe

To make a join without making one properly. By the looks of that it's to make a 2" pipe "fit" a 4" pipe, and apparently the nitwit wasn't aware of adaptors, or couldn't be bothered.
>>
>>1226314
>>1226421

It comes up to my waist and is I think a 1 1/4" pipe, according to my calipers matched with a pipe size table.

So now the question is, how do I deal with this? There's no immediate problem but the diameter of the pipe is such that if even the slightest bit of clogging happens, my washer pump ends up being too much for the drain to handle. (This already happened and an extensive amount of augering later got me like a quarter-sized thing of lint total.) Apparently all washer drains are 2" now. I'm strongly leaning towards just getting a plumber to replace this shit.
>>
>>1226461
If it aint broke dont fix it, the tar is not the problem here, you just need to unclog the pipe, so use caustic soda as usual unclogging procedure (dissolve in hot water, pour down, wait a few hours, repeat)
>>
>>1226494

I think your advice is sound, but my situation is such that I think it makes sense to me to get it replaced with a bigger pipe. Newer washing machines are designed for 2" drains and their pumps overwhelm these old ones. Mine is kind of old and this drain bareeeeeely keeps up when clear of any debris. So what happens when I eventually replace my washer and the new one has a pump with a higher flow rate?

I tore out the drywall and shit because the supply valves had been leaking, and I'm more inclined to just get this drain updated to modern standards while everything's all ripped up so I don't have to do all this over again and get the drain replaced anyway 3 years from now. Plus I'm thinking about putting in a utility sink and it may be possible to get a proper drain for it hooked in to this one as opposed to the janky one I was planning on going with.
>>
>>1226555
>washing machine needing bigger drains

I don't think this is true, you just need to clean your filters and shit
>>
>>1226599

Here are a few sources

https://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,492689
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/size-drain-pipe-need-frontload-washer-95429.html
https://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,446543

And keep in mind my drain is 1.25" not 1.5" like they're all referring to, so I have only 70% as much drain capacity as that
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>1226555
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
>>
>>1226660
Ok you are right, I checked and I was wrong, now the code is 2", and with a P-trap and vent.

So now just a matter of getting the pipes and fittings, remove the and clean out the tar and old pipe and install new ones.
>>
File: anjali-ramkissoon2.jpg (62KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
anjali-ramkissoon2.jpg
62KB, 512x640px
>>1226685

god I love happy endings. so many /diy/ threads seem to end most likely suicidal or mass shooting.

I wonder if she found a job yet. One drunken night and well fudk.
>>
>>1226204
Maybe he saw someone do an oakum pipe joint once and thought that would be a good idea?
>>
>>1226227
Yea definitely looks like roofing tar used as pipe sealant...
I've seen people do that before... I just always left it alone if it wasn't causing an issue at that very moment because I'm not a plumber.
>>
>>1226676
>intensive purposes

You thick fucker
>>
>>1226660
These are kinda stupid... I do appliance repair and while a frontload will pump out a larger volume of water faster than an older topload, it typically has significantly less water in it than a topload which is a big part of what makes it efficient...

Replace the drain, don't let the plumber keep the copper pipe it goes for 2$ a pound at a recycler where I'm at and it's yours, otherwise it's the plumbers bonus tip...
>>
>>1226257
did it work or not?
>>
>>1226494
caustic soda dissolves in an exothermic reaction. always start with cold water
>>
>>1226902

It "worked" in the sense that putting Loctite red on wheel lugnuts to make sure they don't back out "works". It would have been immensely better if he had used a proper removable fitting so that the next person (me) didn't have to deal with his permanent installation. I get the appeal of cheap and clever solutions but this is just a pain in the ass. Save that shit for your pet project, not a functional part of a house.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (13KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
13KB, 259x195px
>>1226209
All the bad things in this world and oics going sideways triggers me
>>
>>1226278
Sewer pioe shouldne have pressure just a drain. Id spray the fuck out of it with bleach and throw another coat on or replace it
>>
>>1226314
Shit. My ancient shithole has miles of copper. I have no desire to dick with it tho. I want the fuck out of this place
>>
>>1226685
Just get rid of the piss trap
>>
>>1226676
>diamond dozen
>>
>>1226204
Combination of random crap and some mold.
>>
>>1226204
It looks like the water isn't draining 100% the speed it's going into the pipe. A little backs up through some little hole in the pipe.

Since that's a sewer pipe, you're probably got shit seeping up out of your floor.

I suggest you don't take a scrape of it and taste it. It would probably be bad. Also, possible mold as another poster said.

Enjoy.

Had similar happen to me. Good luck.
>>
>>1228046
Same poster here.

Could also be grease backing up. Might make more sense.
>>
>>1226676
>people are correcting it
>>
File: finished.jpg (163KB, 716x1272px) Image search: [Google]
finished.jpg
163KB, 716x1272px
If anyone gives a shit I got it all cleaned up nice. Drain cut off between the tar and cast iron, fitting attached, all that. Now just gotta do some more poking (literally) to see how far the initial leak damage goes...
>>
>>1228046

Also I get your reasoning but I already had the whole sewer system pressure tested and it held rock solid for 10 minutes.
>>
File: donut.png (269KB, 1255x638px) Image search: [Google]
donut.png
269KB, 1255x638px
>>1228633
>cutting a perfectly good hub off cast iron drain...
>>
>>1226769
>>1227571
Good work Sherlock.
>>
>>1228639
Given the amount of tar applied on & in that hub, I don't think we can really describe it as "perfectly good".
>>
>>1228639
>3.5 stars
Home Cheapo please go
>>
>>1226204
Pretty much 100% sure I saw that on stranger things
>>
>>1228669
tar vs mandrel wirebrush

>flawless victory
>>
>>1228633
based on the assumption of you owning said home/not renting,
That wall behind the pipe DOES WORRY ME. Especially since its right by that badly fixed drain pipe and goes directly into your sewer line.
Might have to pick a good hide-able spot and cut a hole to look with a light and camera/mirror.
In our house, which wasn't inspected before we bought it, the basement wall was crumbling behind a big ass tool beg board with a calendar on it and the stairs cover literal dirt leaking in from another hole in our foundations walls. No telling what decades of condensation/sewage/etc could be doing behind that wall. Though it looks sunken compared to the floor infront of it.
>>
File: 20170820_073246.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_073246.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1230637

Oh the drywall behind is quite fucked. I was just trying to fix the leak first and let everything dry out before dealing with this. I don't even know wtf happened here. I'm guessing this leak had been going on long enough to have already fucked up the drywall before, the owner replaced it, but didn't bother to seal it up with tape and mud?? You can literally see the PVC from the previous pic through the wall. Whatever, easy fix at least since I have clear access.

I am curious what the electric line goes to though...
>>
>>1230744

Nm mystery electric line is in a different pic, this pic just shows a tiny copper pipe that was connected to the hot water line and went to the fridge (???)
>>
>>1230746
sometimes they were used for grounding and not drainage/like with old door bells

......could be anything, fridge, still, heating/cooling unit, power inverter, deep freezer and/or old fridge used AS a deep freezer to hide the body

Nail and washer looks like it was added because the board started warping soo you have another tar and something fix behind there???
>>
>>1230797

Drywall was definitely warping. I've gotten what I think it almost all of the really messed up drywall out, although in doing so I discovered that the drywall in that last pic (which is the garage side of the wall) is 1/2" non-fire-retardant so I'll be replacing the whole wall eventually. So the drywall on either side of that mess will get replaced at some point. For now I got the nasty shit all pulled out and a fresh piece screwed and taped; just waiting for it to dry so I can sand and put on another coat of mud.

Then I get to put in some insulation and wall up the other side!
>>
>>1230746
>a tiny copper pipe that was connected to the hot water line and went to the fridge (???)

Given the rest of what you've shown us, it's possible the retard who fitted it didn't realise they were running hot water to their nice ice maker?
>>
>>1231995
>it's possible the retard who fitted it didn't realise they were running hot water to their nice ice maker?
It's also possible it was intentional.
>>
>>1228633
Wow looks great man!
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.