[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this just a fucking joke? Seriously, what the fuck, they actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: weatherguard-bullshit-lock.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
weatherguard-bullshit-lock.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
Is this just a fucking joke?
Seriously, what the fuck, they actually sell these boxes for hundreds and thousands of dollars with this shit lock since 2010?

I just got a pretty nice crossbox for my truck, and I got bored today with it.
I pulled out a random key from my pocket, raked the pins in the lock a bit, and in 10 fucking seconds, I had it locked. took me about 30-40 seconds to unlock it again.
I dont even have keys for this fucking thing yet, but I can literally secure it with a random bit of wire I guess.
>>
>>1225624
Literally the entire point of a lock is to keep honest people honest and hopefully annoy a real burglar enough that he'll find something else that isn't locked. Give a trained man a set of picks and 10 minutes alone with literally any conventional lock and he'll have it open.
>>
>>1225629
I've picked locks before, but I'm no expert. This isnt picks and feeling pins, none of that.
This is stick a fucking popsicle stick in it and turn bad.
>>
Then put a different lock on it retard.
>>
>>1225624
Most thieves wont even bother with the lock
You can pop the lid open by just prying it open
>>
as already stated, locks only stop the opportunists, they are barely even a speedbump for someone who goes out of their way to get past it and that includes the top end ones, there isn't a publicly available lock that can't be opened in less than three minutes.

So stop worrying, if it's going to happen it's going to happen and a $200 lock isn't going to save your shit any more than a $20 lock.
>>
>>1225624
>not having a battery powered electronic keypad lock
when the battery runs out you have to bust out the angle grinder to get it out
>>
>>1225624
It will keep an honest man out.
Besides, even if you change the locks I can pry the lid away from the latch with a flat bar in the time it would take you to dial 911.
Buy an actual job box if you want security.
>>
>>1225730
>It will keep an honest man out.

You don't need a lock to keep an honest man out.
>>
>>1225736
>>
>>1225736
But what if he became an honest man after acquiring your silver?
>>
File: OnGuard.png (85KB, 343x400px) Image search: [Google]
OnGuard.png
85KB, 343x400px
>>1225709
My combination bike lock (solid bar) is unshimmable thanks to the locking pins going past both sides of the thin part of the end of the bar and into the hole on the other side, but how easy would it be to get through the combination dials or the unlock switch?
>>
>>1225711
Batteries are outside the locked compartment. Replaceable with a screwdriver.
>>
>>1225730
>>1225709
But it's just disturbing thinking about how many thousands of boxes out there there are with people's lively hood in them.
I almost don't even wana put stuff in it now.
Maybe I'll make a bar that goes over the top of the lid and can lock in so the box physically can't open
>>
>>1225994
I was too paranoid to put anything of value in my box, so I ended up just keeping junk back there.
I eventually just removed the box altogether and installed a tonneau cover.

Maybe its placebo, but my truck seems to handle corners a little nicer. It felt "stiff" kind of when I had a box bolted in.
>>
>>1225624
Basically. Those locks only use a dozen or so keys. Most of the contractors I know weld on a real hasp and use a padlock.
>>
>>1226003
No placebo there. Beds flex because the frame it is attached to flexes. Enough engine and you can permanently twist the frame.
>>
>>1226032
Supposedly they have a key code 500 through 999
>>
>>1226032
>>1226045
Depends on the cylinder.
Even the cheapest standard 4 pin cylinders have the possibility of 7 different sized pins in 4 different positions so there would be ~2500 different combinations
>>
>>1225744
he would die in a church crying about how he was an awful man in life
>>
>>1225736
>>1225730
The saying is: it keeps an honest man honest.
>>
>>1225624
Funny you say this. My brother got one of those brand new at a big-box store for $100 because the lock was being extra Chinese.

He took it home, used the neighbor's toolbox key, instantly opened it, and replaced the lock with a new one.
>>
>>1226170
You can replace the lock with the round locks you usually see on vending machines, They are a whole lot better
>>
Ive sold all kinds of brands of truck boxes. There is only about 60 to 70 common keys for all of them. I had a roll of the most popupar 45 keys to use for cutting new ones for customers. Low and behold, the roll got stole. Of all the boxes to get into though? Weatherguard is of the most secure.
>>
File: Tubular-Lock-Picking-005.jpg (28KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
Tubular-Lock-Picking-005.jpg
28KB, 700x480px
>>1226313
>They are a whole lot better

pic[k] related.
>>
>>1225629
true this. locks are only a deterrent.

as they say,
>any lock is inherently insecure, because it's meant to be opened

also any secure box worth a shit will just have a heavy duty metal loop for putting your own damn padlock on it
>>
>>1225709
American brand and Masterlocks are less than 3 min. Brinks is maybe 3 min a second.

There are locks out there that will stand up to an hour against a real locksmith/picker.

>>1225820
Dials like the one in the pic are easier than keyed locks. I dont need any special equipment to pop one of those in less than 5 min.

>>1226989
$100+ tool.

While im here,
Im a locksmith: AMA
>>
>>1226066
True, but that assumes the vendor actually orders more than a dozen or so different lock setups.
>>
>>1226989
A bic pen can do the same thing m8.
>>
>>1225822
Alternatively they're inside to prevent tampering, but an external battery pack can be connected if the batteries go flat.
>>
>>1226989

Yeah but that chance someone would have that on them is almost nil, at least they cant be picked with keys for other things, rakes, etc.
>>
>>1227005

Someone smashed my door lock and ignition breaking into my truck. I replaced the ignition and want the new door locks to be key matched to the ignition. How much would you charge for something like that? I have the locks new in box, so there wouldn't be any bs removing them from the truck or anything. truck is a 90's jeep if it matters
>>
>>1227031
rekey it yourself, its not that hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2AH9-isPA
>>
>>1227154
Also you can buy new wafers to fit the lock on the internet easily if you cant get the existing ones to fit right
>>
>>1227031
Wut. Even my 1995 shit box has two separate keys, for the glove box and doors and ignition. Is having two sets of keys on a single ring that big of a deal?
>>
>>1227165
not that guy, but ive owned cars that did both
I much prefer a single key
>>
>>1225624
Wow, that easy huh. I guess you must feel like an idiot for buying one. Thanks for sharing that with us but we pretty much got the idea just from reading your opening post when you mentioned you bought it but don't have keys for it yet... (why not? ..you waiting for it to come in the mail or something?)
>>
>>1226003

>tonneau cover.

>My truck is now a bit more useless than Paris Hilton's SUV
>>
>>1227432
>>My truck is now a bit more useless than Paris Hilton's SUV

How exactly do you figure that?
You can roll your cover up and use 100% of the bed as opposed to having a large box bolted in taking up almost 1/3 of the bed.
>>
>>1227282
I got it used for 40 bucks. The model I got sells new for $1200.
I'm pretty sure the locks are still operating to spec though.
I have keys now, but until I got them I was literally locking and unlocking it with a bit of metal
>>
>>1227005
Can locksmiths make keys from THICC OEM blanks or is that usually only something only a dealer can do? My Volvo has eaten three (3) aftermarket keys in the last two months.
>>
"Oh no, someone broke into my box and stole my hilti and my Dewalt that I bought from the pawn shop"

Try having a full 56" matco box broken into and emptied.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.