[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found this style of wall art on etsy, and I rather like how they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: il_570xN.861740875_h5n7[1].jpg (54KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.861740875_h5n7[1].jpg
54KB, 570x428px
Found this style of wall art on etsy, and I rather like how they look. They're obscenely expensive, like $500, and look pretty low effort to DIY. I'd like to ask if you guys have any input on my plan.

Grab some scrap 4/4 light colored boards and rip them into strips with a few different widths (to have some 'taller' and 'shorter'). Take those and chop them into some random lengths. Paint most of them in a few different colors, stain a few of them crappily for that Rustic TM look. Take a 1/4 thick quarter sheet of ply and maybe rip some off to change the aspect ratio. Then do a dry assembly to see the look. Lastly take a big tube of super glue gel and accelerator and give each one a couple dots to the backer and to the one above it and hold it for a bit. and assemble like legos. Optional black mitered frame can be added later.
>>
>>1225583
they're expensive because of all the work that goes into making this thing.

Your version might work fine if you screw/glue the backing plywood to some cross braces.
>>
>>1225791

what this anon said.. if you want a k-mart version expect k-mart quality. if you want true handmade quality that takes time version, you gonna pay more.
>>
>>1225583
I'd buy decking spindles rather than trying to tear up a 4x4.
>>
>>1225791
>>1225796
What exactly makes their version better than a similar implementation of mine? Its literally random strips of wood glued together and painted. Only thing I can think of is using wood glue and clamps to put everything together, but that would take literally days to do all the glue ups and you sure as hell don't need the strength offered by pva glue in a sheet that just hangs on the wall.

>>1225804
Not a 4x4, a 4 quarter thick board.
>>
>>1225796
>>1225845
I'd have to agree with OP on this. this is NOT difficult or "precision" work here. it is exactly as OP said. random [scrap] wood glued to a backer and hung on the wall.
were it me building this I'd just use liquid nails glue or similar type construction adhesive. I'm not familiar with the 2 part super glue OP mentions and not sure if that type of glue would work as well with wood of this type - I know for sure construction adhesives will work. or if you have access (I do) to a nail gun (brad nailer) and air compressor use that and some glue to assemble it fast.
seriously. this is easy peasy assuming you have a saw, a bunch of scrap wood and some time. there is literally nothing more to it.
if peeps are getting $500 for this kind of thing I best get to work! easy $chedda$!
>>
>>1225804
yeah... 4/4 means a board 1 inch thick.
"4/4" is read as "4 quarter" meaning 4 x 1/4" which is 1 inch.
i.e. a 5/4 board would be 1 and 1/4 inches thick.
a 6/4 board is 1 and a half inches thick and so on.
do not ask me why it is done this way I just know that is 'how it works' in the wood worker's world.
>>
it appears they have used different species of wood as well. I see what looks like pine and oak. and I'm sure others are in there... its random scraps.
>>
>>1225796
>true handmade quality
ha ha haaaaa ha... that's cute.
>>
>>1225864
My bad. I read it as a "4 by 4." i just built a deck so the terminology is still fresh in my head.
>>
>>1225791
>they're expensive because of all the work that goes into making this thing.
wood, paint on 4-5 sides, pre-planning, rotating a piece of wood as dictated by the design.

Yeah, tons of work... If you're retarded and don't know how to design/construct efficiently. It's just typical etsy markup.
>>
File: cosmi shotgun.jpg (594KB, 1670x1678px) Image search: [Google]
cosmi shotgun.jpg
594KB, 1670x1678px
>>1225796
This is a cosmi shotgun, it is poorly designed, of moderate quality, and is 'hand made' ;). It costs 25-50 grand and is heavily marketed as being 'hand made'.

If it was competently designed, it would have higher quality, be high quality, and be CNC'ed. It would cost 1-3 grand.

You're literally advocating paying more for less all for the sake of ponce.
>>
>>1225861
Great idea with the brad nailer! I'm so used to never using fasteners in my work I hadnt even considered it. The super glue I'm talking about is just that, a viscous super glue and since I don't want to be gluing this thing for hours I was going to use an accelerator spray that makes it cure in like 30 seconds.
>>
>>1225583
I have always stood by this quote.
"If you are stupid they charge you more."

Remember, there is always some rich idiot that will buy "art". But there are thousands of poor artists.
>>
>>1225989
Make it with a steel back and put magnets in the wood. Sell replacement "art sticks" to idiots. retire in bermuda.
>>
they did pretty much this same idea to a ceiling in some DIY/HGTV remodeling show I watched recently. they had a smallish room and wanted to do something "different" as an "accent". so decided to takea bunch of their left over scrap wood, paint or stain the pieces a few different colors. cut up the wood a bit more and then started just randomly air nailing the pieces to the ceiling. one at a time. in the end it looked just like this but up on ceiling instead of on the wall but they did keep all the pieces the same thickness so little less "3D" effect.
>>
>>1226027
ain't it da troof... dat fo' sho'.

I guess the people who have to pay are ones who don't have a clue how its made and/or don't have the tools or the time to do it themselves.
or they're just dumb. ya know, 6 of one half dozen of the other.
>>
U.K. Here just ordered exactly like your pic but different shades of grey tiles, B&Q 3 tiles would make that size probably cost you approx $18
>>
>>1226029
like it! then you could "retire" certain sticks on some sort of random schedule and create hype and panic buying. just like beanie babies were back in the day! its all about "marketing".
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.