[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy /2017/08/patent-disputes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: NEVER_ENDS.jpg (277KB, 960x929px) Image search: [Google]
NEVER_ENDS.jpg
277KB, 960x929px
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/patent-disputes-stand-in-the-way-of-radically-safer-table-saws/

Better stock up before the price skyrockets.
>>
>>1225581
Just build your own table saw, they aren't complex machines.
>>
>>1225581
>Better stock up before the price skyrockets.

this is for pro stuff

besides festool bought sawstop a few weeks ago
>>
>>1225581

Modern table saws are apparently a QA crapshoot with everything being built in China or Taiwan. (Excepting the $10k+ industrial sliding saws built in the US). I'm in the market for a cabinet saw and my plan is to bide my time until I find an older used Powermatic or something that's been taken good care of. I found a restored one on Craigslist but I just bought a house so I'm down many thousands of dollars and can't afford another big purchase right now.
>>
>>1225581

The hot dog weenie video is convincing, but why don't they go ahead and jam their hand in it if it works so well?

And the real reason nobody bought his saw was that it destroyed the blade if it had to stop, plus nobody thinks they're ever going to be the one who gets hurt.

And as for that $4000 cost to society for EVERY saw sold? Are they paying out millions for everyone who loses a finger tip?
>>
>>1225715
>why don't they go ahead and jam their hand in it
they do
>>
>>1225715
I refuse to buy a table saw without the technology. I have an old circular saw that I ca use in a table saw if needed.
>>
If memory serves, Nick Offerman is a massive Sawstop-boo.
>>
>>1225581
I'm curious about the injury statistics. How many of those injuries occured with all included safety features on; riving knife, anti kickback thing and blade guard? Most people will use a riving knife but the blade guard and anti kickback are taken off almost always. If most injurues are due to operator removing factory included safety features, it doesn't make sense to push for a law on the inclusion of sawstop tech.
>>
>>1225829

the patent holder is inching closer to forcing manufacturers to include his technocology for an 8% cut of revenue which is absurd. he even blocked similar technology from Bosch (Reaxx) from being sold in the US so its clearly not a safety issue he's concerned about.
IMO it looks like Gass has been funding lawsuits (one was a flooring installer who cut his fingers for $1.5 million) to force regulatory compliance and therefore make him fucking rich. he's a total scumbag
>>
> He also petitioned federal regulators to make active safety technology, like the one he invented, mandatory across the industry.

Never going to happen
Most tool manufacturers dont want it, and 4500 people a year having various injuries is a very very small number.
>>
>>1225912
7 kids in 20 years died from drop side cribs
BANNED
4 people in 9 years died from exploding airbags
BANNED

Big brother gonna make you safe, but congress will award the patent rights to one of their relatives unless dude makes some serious campaign contributions.

God bless America
>>
>>1225922
>congress will award the patent rights to one of their relatives

lots of shit goes on in corrupt america, but how exactly do they take a patent from someone after it was granted years ago and give to a relative? Post non - /pol/ tier example.
>>
>>1225924

Doesn't matter. SawStop is bankrolling lawsuits against current tablesaw manufacturers to cause undue outrage about OMG dangerous tablesaws for their direct profit. Nannystate Corrupt feds are thinking about it.
>>
>>1225924
Color television

Filo Farnsworth invented it. Government gave the patent to RCA because of lobbying/contributions. Took decades to resolve.

Not exactly the same, but close. I was being half sarcastic, anyways.
>>
>>1225930
Sawstop doesnt have the money to play with all the big boy tool companies in court.
I dont see it happening
>>
>>1225931

Radio patents were also stolen and royalties lost for Tesla because JP Morgan. This was only to be resolved years after his death via the supreme court ruling in teslas favor. Bottom line not other poster but the government does have a history of doing this exact behavior.
>>
>>1225581
Source if the pic?
>>
Those fuckin cartridges cost more than a cheap saw.

Each cartridge is one time use only.
>>
>>1226848
And they destroy blades that cost more than a cheap saw does
>>
>>1225581
If Gass really cared about safety he would make sure there wasn't a monopoly so that these "safer" table saws would be cheaper and more available. Guy's a hack.
>>
>>1226712
I have absolutely no idea. I've had it saved for like 2 years.
>>
>>1226712
We have reverse image source built into this website for fuck's sake. Took 10 seconds. http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1227715-mr-bones-wild-ride
>>
>>1226912
It took you ten seconds to not find the origin. Neat!
>>
>>1226917
Really? You need to be pointed exactly in the direction instead of being nudged you dense cunt?
>>
>>1226929
Mr. Bones Wild Ride isn't a manga, and the source isn't in the comments.
Enlighten me.
>>
>>1226932
Click the little arrow next to OP's post number, click image search, then click google. Now click "all sizes" underneath "Find other sizes of this image:" and look for the original image or some informative source on it. No actual typing required.
>>
>>1225842
>force regulatory compliance and therefore make him fucking rich. he's a total scumbag
You're describing almost all safety regulations. If it's not a "feature" then it's training or certification and so forth.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.