[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wood Clock Talk I started a thread on this board a while back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 9

File: 2017-08-10 17.46.39mod.jpg (296KB, 1000x1778px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-10 17.46.39mod.jpg
296KB, 1000x1778px
Wood Clock Talk

I started a thread on this board a while back about the construction of my second wood clock. The original thread was pushed off the shit end of the board so I'm back to show the finished product.

It's taken me a few weeks to finish and fine tune it. Well here it is. All in all i believe it took about 2 months of leisure time. I think it all adds up to be about 80-100 hours build time. The fine adjustments were the hardest and longest to do.

The pendulum is accurate up to +- %1. Hopefully it'll average out and be a pretty accurate time piece considering.
>>
>>1225525
how does it feel to know that you just inspired me to steal your intellectual properties and you cannot stop me.
>>
>>1225525
That's some really nice work OP, any closer pictures showing how the gears work?
>>
>>1225545
HAHA. Well I don't know what intellectual property that you think you've stolen but go right on ahead. I'm curious, what are you stealing and what for?

>>1225597
Thank you very much! I'll get some good pictures and a video hopefully by tonight/few hours.
>>
Nice work op. We talked in the other thread but my scrollsaw is broke atm so I never got to use your advice
>>
i am impressed
is this your own design or from a plan?
would it take another few weeks to do another one? or could it be done faster now that you know the adjustments that need to be made etc?
>>
>>1226256
I'm not op but I know he uses a online gear generator for planning/patterns.
>>
File: diy wooden clock.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
diy wooden clock.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1225597
not op, saved from last thread
>>
Can anyone recommend me some software for designing gears?

I did some digging after last thread and found this:
http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1299

I think it should be enought to design clock myself, but I don't have enough skill to draw gears on paper as template.
>>
File: Front.jpg (255KB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
255KB, 1000x1412px
>>1226248
Damn that sucks! I feel your pain and I hope you can get it fixed sometime soon.

>>1226256
Thank you very much. This is not my design. It's by Clayton Boyer. A quick search and you'll find all his clock designs. This one is called "Deco".

I'm not certain that it would only take weeks but it would only take a fraction of the time. You're right, since I know all the little adjustment that I would need to take it would make short work. The biggest problems that I've been having are gear depthing. since the depths of the teeth are not perfect it caused me a lot of time sanding the teeth to mesh properly.

>>1226603
Whenever I do any kind of clock design I use the software called Gearotic. It is the best clock design software that I can find besides going to a full solids cad software package like Inventor.

>>1227115
Hey, cool to know anons saved some of my work.

>>1227122
As a first choice I would recommend Gearotic. Otherwise a second best is using online gear generators and using cad for the overall design.
>>
File: Back.jpg (239KB, 1000x1292px) Image search: [Google]
Back.jpg
239KB, 1000x1292px
>>
File: Left Side.jpg (198KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Left Side.jpg
198KB, 1000x1500px
>>
File: Right Side.jpg (217KB, 1000x1500px)
Right Side.jpg
217KB, 1000x1500px
>>
File: Detailed Pendulum.jpg (97KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Detailed Pendulum.jpg
97KB, 1000x667px
>>
File: Clock Works.jpg (123KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Clock Works.jpg
123KB, 1000x667px
Here's the Motion Works. Its responsible for gearing down from the minute hand to the hour hand. 12:1
>>
File: Going Train.jpg (178KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Going Train.jpg
178KB, 1000x1500px
Here's the going train. Aside from the wheels connecting to the escapement it simultaneously torques down the 9ft-lb spring into something much less. Id say about a 0.5oz-inch... Something significantly smaller in power. This tiny amount of power then influences the pendulum to continue swinging back and forth.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.