[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, never posted here before and I'm not much of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: $_58.jpg (18KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
18KB, 640x640px
Hey /diy/, never posted here before and I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer

I'm wanting to put together really simple wooden storage cubes like pic related, 12"x"12. I have no tools (I live in a small apartment), Assuming I got the wood precut, what would I need to make this work? Is this something I could just do with wood glue? Or would I need something else? Do I need anything specific to make sure it ends up properly shaped?
>>
Depends what you are going to use it for and how it will be finished. If you're going to paint it I would use poplar and sand it down. Have a box store cut it to length then just get some finishing nails and wood glue and go from there.
>>
depends on the intended use

glue and nails would be the minimum
>>
File: milk crate.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
milk crate.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
sounds like you want some of these: 12''x12'' extremely durable and freely available outside most corner stores around 3am.
>>
>>1224508
>Is this something I could just do with wood glue?
Yes, if you use clamps, I'd highly recommend some kind of joint though either rabbet or doweled.
>>
File: IMG_0229.jpg (27KB, 383x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0229.jpg
27KB, 383x384px
If you cant figure this shit out for yourself let alone use google search then maybe /diy/ isnt for you.
>>
>>1224508
>Is this something I could just do with wood glue?

Checklist:

1. will I ever place one of these on the floor?

2. If I answered "yes" to 1., will I ever have friends or relatives over who might need a place to sit down, and would prefer sitting on this cube instead of the floor?

3. If I answered "yes" to 2., are my friends and relatives americans?

4. If I answered "yes" to 3. then the answer is NO.
>>
>>1224508

its funny cause OPs picture is one of those assemble yourself cubes where all you need is a phillips screwdriver to screw in the cam and cam lock nuts. takes like 5 mins to assemble this. no glue no clamps no bullshit/

if you cant DIY then you need to NOOB up and buy this and a screwdriver and put it together. stop wasting time for shit you could have just googled.
>>
>>1224601

yes, welcome to ghetto and/or college life.
>>
>>1224601
Giving them a nice paintjob and mounting them on the wall could actually look neat. Not OP but thanks for the inspo senpai.
>>
>>1224734
>Giving them a nice paintjob and mounting them on the wall could actually look neat

All the shots of black in the world could not make that come true.
>>
i built something similar as "temporary" furniture 40 years ago. still using them.

2x12, butt joints, wood dowels and glue joints, no metal in them. file/sand the edges so they are rounded into quarter circles and look a little more finished. ideas was I could just cut them up for the fireplace someday.

just need saw, rasp, sandpaper, drill & bits, glue, and clamps.

advantage is you can make them custom sizes for big books. they stack well. cheap. stout as hell, could park a truck on them.

have made lighter versions out of 1x, sand and finish, and they don't look half bad.
>>
>>1224734
>open mesh plastic crates
>a nice paintjob
k-keep me updated on progress
>>
>>1224508
>small apartment
>>1224601
>milk crates

Its the way of life.
>>
>>1224639
Finger joints are a pain in the ass to make, especially for someone not used to making them, but they do look super nice when done properly.
>>
>>1224845
>Finger joints are a pain in the ass to make,

Aren't they pretty easy if you have the proper tools? So many things are like that; if you have the tools and equipment and know how to use it, you can do things that seem magical to people who aren't familiar with things like putting a shot of black in it.
>>
>>1224639
mate making a box is hard as balls if you dont have power tools. The
>glue wood together
is a meme. The box always deforms and never turns out right. Hell wood cutting tools are expensive as well and no one who only wants a box is gonna buy them. So fuck your finger joints.
>>
>>1224845
Stop being a baby, box joints are piss easy to make.
>>1224988
Kill yourself faggit, woodworking is cheap as piss. Go into a pawn shop and buy a $10 rabbiting plane, and another $10 for glue and nails. Bam you just got yourself ~50 boxes (if you got the wood) for $20.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.