[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found this old metal cooler over the weekend, and i want to restore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Attach15199_20170807_103125.jpg (412KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Attach15199_20170807_103125.jpg
412KB, 1200x1600px
Found this old metal cooler over the weekend, and i want to restore it. Any ideas on where to find paint that will match this old pink color? Also any tips for cleaning the plastic trim around the bottom and repairing a small hole in one of the corners? Finally how best to clean up/whiten the hard plastic inside the cooler that has yellowed and scuffed over time?
>>
>>1223751

I'll defer to the cooler restoration pros who will show up, but I have to say that is quite a find. I'd pay a lot for it in its current condition if I were able to.
>>
>>1223752
Thanks. I didnt mean to use the word "found," i got it for $20 at a flea market.
>>
How is the insulation? Ice retention? Any water leaks? I have one from the 50s or 60s that was great grandparents that only lasts a day or so.
>>
File: Attach15202_20170807_145922.jpg (441KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Attach15202_20170807_145922.jpg
441KB, 1600x1200px
>>1223878
Haven't used it yet, but it doesn't have the typical black foam gasket that rots away on older coolers; seems to rely more on the tapered lid closing flush against the body.

Honestly it doesn't look like it would last more than a day, but i have a good cooler for that. This is something i just want to restore and use for bbqs.
>>
Modern innovations allow you to match any paint colors son, you don't have to go out and find a can of the exact color to duplicate a color.
Also shoot spray foam to plug the hole
>>
>>1223752
Yeah op its worth more like this if u wanna sell it and head to walmart for 2 new ones, but... for plastic bleach and a stiff brush and metal just rough it up and hit with closest quality spraypaint you can find
>>
What makes you so sure it was originally that coral color?
>>
>>1223751
>>1224931
Came here to say this, the cooler was likely red when it was first made.
>>
>>1223883

>Honestly it doesn't look like it would last more than a day

What do you guys use coolers for that would require cold drinks for more than a day?
>>
>>1224941
ikr? Doesn't everyone just trap and eat local game while out on a long camping weekend?
>>
>>1224931
>>1224932

Coleman has used many colors on their coolers over the years, including that weird pinkish red. That model was made in the early 1960s. It also came in red, green, and light blue that I have seen. Possibly more. Coleman also sold golden coolers later and two-tone coolers before.
>>
>>1223751
As a junker and decorator, I would have to tell you not to touch it. It's the right kind of wear & tear. Replace the seals if necessary, oil& polish the latch, but otherwise, great find for $20, it's easily worth $120 as is.
>>
File: _20170810_113859.jpg (82KB, 720x991px) Image search: [Google]
_20170810_113859.jpg
82KB, 720x991px
>>1225258
OP here. I like old stuff too and rarely try to fix up my finds, but i dont plan on selling this and would much rather it look new like pic related. Is this really such a bad idea?
>>
>>1224931
>>1224932
If you search "vintage salmon coleman cooler" you will find many examples of it being this color. It's a pretty obvious late 50s/early 60s tone.
>>
>>1225295
if it were faded red I doubt the fading would be so completely even and consistent...
>>
>>1225295
Those old lead paints really held their color, I suppose. Fair enough.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.